Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Proposals for upcoming UMC Special Session of the General Conference (L)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Proposals for upcoming UMC Special Session of the General Conference (L) Dave Dorsey
Mat mentioned in another thread that the UMC was preparing to hold a special session to address "unity" issues caused by the UMC's current positions on social issues.

While reading about this session, I found this PDF detailing the four proposals on the table. I thought others might find it interesting as well.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/Website_Properties_UGC/learn/documents/GC2019-Plan-comparison.pdf
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/17/19 9:52 am

Post OK Dave, its ... Mat
OK Dave, its Sunday afternoon and you just compounded my headache. I think I would go with the Traditional/Modified Traditional Plan. I'm not sure what the financial liability is for churches/clergy that leave (there seems to be in the other plans). The Simply Plan seems to be a congregational network under the banner of the UMC, though "United" may be paradoxical, as it takes the "U" out of "UMC."

What I don't know is the cost/liability of a congregation to leave the UMC under current policy in regards to property, pension, etc.

It seems for the sake of unity you can have churches where Wesley could preach and churches which would make a Metropolitan Community Church look conservative, all under the same flag, or rainbow.

Mat

PS I wonder if they are going to "livestream" their meeting?
Acts Enthusiast
2/17/19 1:51 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Sorry Mat. I probably should have included a trigger warning.

I agree about the plans. I appreciate that some of them allowed individual churches to determine their own policies, but I can't imagine that churches on either side would want to fellowship and share funds with churches on the other. Unity doesn't seem possible here without significant compromise.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
2/17/19 1:55 pm

Post Actually there are 5 resolutions brotherjames
And the one most favored is called the one church. All of them bring about division. Social issues is a euphemism for the problem with the lgbtqi etc There are 2 camps in the UMC essentially. The progressives and traditionalists. The UMC allows now for homosexuals to be members and full participation in all areas of service as part of their "inclusive" theology. They do not yet ordain practicing the operative word, homosexuals to be ministers. This will cause a split most likely. The problem with the 2 camps is neither one of them operate in orthodox interpretation of the Bible. It promises to be interesting.
Acts-celerater
2/17/19 4:33 pm

Post Here's a link to how the conference is .... Mat
Here's a link to how the conference is going so far:

https://www.umnews.org/en/news/gc2019-daily-feb-24

It looks like, despite the Bishops, the more conservative element may prevail. It reads (I may be wrong) as if they may be planning on how churches and ministers can depart with property and some portion of their pension. However, it an't over till the fat Bishops sing!

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
2/25/19 8:21 am

Post Don't you find it odd that... Aaron Scott
that those in leadership are often so out of touch with the feelings on the ground?

This discussion would never have even reached this stage had it not been for leadership allowing a bit here, a bit there.

I have noticed something a BIT like that in our own denomination: The executive level seems to see some things so much differently from the field. Why?

Mainly, I think it is because we elect our leaders based on name recognition...and the leaders, in turn, often have the means of putting people "out there" so that they develop name recognition. Thus, we tend to elect pretty much who they WANT elected--or at least people they are pretty much OK with.

Eventually, we have a leadership class that may be very different from the field. But since all we have to go on is name recognition and how good they did at Camp Meeting or the such, we have little choice--after all, if people don't know someone's name, they aren't all going to just, by chance, elect that person.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
2/25/19 3:45 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic