Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I have an affinity for home church......

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I have an affinity for home church...... caseyleejones
The more I read Acts and study the early church, the more I find churches in our area lacking. If you remove the speaker and the musicians, there is relatively little left at church(at least in my area).

There is no sense of community. Most of the people are spectators. Most are not using their gifts or talents. Once the final amen is sounded, stay away from the back door or you will be trampled.

Anyone involved in a home church? How's it going?
Acts-perienced Poster
1/20/19 9:19 pm

Post Cojak
There is lot of logic in your post.BUT for me the problem is in a home-church, sorta like the old cottage prayer meetings. It is SELDOM you find a competent voice of control, which after a few months you absolutely need. My experience is one voice is stronger than the others and slowly is in control and people start dropping out because they do not know how, or absolutely cannot face the person in a calm way to say, YOU ARE NOT in charge, God is. I have known those kinds of people, they are exceptional, they can defuse an atomic bomb, but they were never in the groups I was enjoying. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/20/19 10:26 pm

Post its going well Mark Ledbetter
since you asked.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
1/22/19 11:28 pm

Post Re: its going well Cojak
Mark Ledbetter wrote:
since you asked.

Nice Mark, God Bless! Thumb Up
1/22/19 11:37 pm

Post Da Sheik
I hear what you’re saying, but I don’t think the Bible holds “house church” as the gold standard. I think they met in houses out of necessity at times. At other times they met in the temple. Most “house church “ advocates eventually become unteachable. I’ve pastored some over the years and I find them generally to struggle with authority and organization. That’s a broad brush I’m painting with, but it’s my own experience.

We must be careful not to idolize the methodology. The early chapters of Acts indicate many lived communally. Most modern attempts at commmunal living end up as cults.
Acts Enthusiast
1/23/19 2:48 pm

Post Good points...but juxtapose that with..... caseyleejones
Each week you show up to a building where you give your 10%. That 10% goes towards salaries, building, seats, pews, microphone....etc.....

Each week we go to hear good music and one man..or woman speak. That point person is from an organization and we have to vote on him or her if we like his speaking ability....

That usually lasts 2 hours...then head home to do our thing.....then repeat....

While I know some churches tithe on all money received, that is still only 1% given out to the public.

.....is this really an ideal model though?
Acts-perienced Poster
1/26/19 12:26 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
So as it would happen, our pastor preached today on the purpose and place of the local church, and I would like to humbly submit that message as a contribution to this discussion.

http://gracecommunity.org/mediaPlayer/#/sermonaudio/463

Casey, if you have time, I would love for you to listen to this message and share your thoughts. Our pastor began the sermon by acknowledging much of the obvious -- the church visible is a messed up place that often not only fails to contribute to the spread of the gospel, but actively sabotages it. It is a place too often filled with hypocrites and liars. It is far from the only place where you can worship God in spirit and truth, hear His word, or fellowship with His people. It may contribute to the needs of the saints and the needs of the world (I would suppose that most churches direct much more than 1% of their budgets outward) but a local congregation could never rival the power or reach of an NGO like Voice of the Martyrs or Compassion International or any of the others.

So if all of that is true -- and it is, whether we like it or not -- then what is the purpose of the church in God's design? Is it even necessary? What, if anything, is present in larger gatherings that could be absent in smaller home gatherings today?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/27/19 1:17 pm

Post Thanks Dave for posting...but...I don't have an aversion caseyleejones
for the local church. I think it's the set up perhaps. I might have mentioned it but in my area, Southern Illinois, church is...show up on Sunday to hear a few talented singers and a personality to speak and tell us how to believe. And don't forget to pay your 10% to cover salaries and a building. Lastly, most people gifts are not utilized under this model.

But, it would seem there were churches in Acts that met in peoples homes. While we don't have anything like that in my area, I have read there are networks of home churches in other communities. In such a model, there is still a leader but more people can utilize their gifts and talents. From these groups, those giving are giving their "tithe" to local food banks and overseas missions.

My thing is not that I am against the local church, but just the opposite. It just seems there is a better way.
Acts-perienced Poster
1/27/19 3:33 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Gotcha. In that case, then, give it a listen if you've got time. Wink

I've wondered about this sometimes too... seeing the same things you are talking about here. This message was the clearest articulation of the connection between the local church and the gospel that I've ever heard. And you're right, unfortunately, most of our church models probably don't align.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/27/19 3:46 pm

Post Cojak
In DD's comment he referenced a sermon by Bro. Smith. I will go back and keep listening later. I can't listen but a few minutes at a time without lips to read, but Bro Smith seems to have a good voice and diction for folks who are hard of hearing.

Now to the OP, there is a secret somewhere, some wise person could put their finger on it, I cannot as yet. BUT church in the past in spite of the 'holier than thou written teachings' was like a place of blessings, family. We called everyone Brother and sister and meant it. It was a lighthouse and a filling station. After the alter call (my favorite time as a Pk) people still stuck around to visit and fellowship. As the adults fellow shipped we kids played in the church yard. (A few years ago driving by an Amish farm on Sunday I saw the kids running and playing and thought of my youth).

Yes most churches I visit are in automotion. The fellowship we are attending in between churches, is more akin to the early churches, but it is a mission of a Cape Cod Fellowship. Sent to Florida to evangelize this God Forsaken area. They are enthusiastic, i like it. WE are just visitors and will be gone in a few days. I have enjoyed their kids, total attendance is about 40 and half that is kids, my kind of people.

I cannot decide what the big difference is, but it is there, could be the size.

QW knew right away what Fellowship it is. I still can't remember it, but they did come out of the Four Square.

Anyway, I do get what Casey is saying, and what is missed.

Embarassed
1/27/19 4:04 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic