Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Retirement housing for COG ministers

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Retirement housing for COG ministers Cojak
NC and FL had a great thing going for retirees to settle on the campground. My dad did and for years was blessed with no taxes, a great benefit.

I am too old and not smart or wealthy enough, but would love to see someone invest in property that retired ministers could buy into and live in that sort of community. The fellowship in later years was a God sent for my mama and daddy.

I think that was tried in a condo situation in Cleveland, called the 'Towers'. I do not know the whole story. I was invited there twice to do a program for the seniors. The first time it was only ministers & wives. The last time it seemed it had been opened to the public. I seemed to remember something about gov't assistance required it be opened outside the church.

There is an area close to Bradenton, FL I understand is for retired ministers and missionaries from independent works (Or another denomination). That is just from rumors I heard as passing an unnamed gated community on Highway #64 near where we camped many times.

I was approached by a man once about a retirement community on some land I held. I was too young then (50s) to be concerned about retirement, now hindsight, I sure wish I had done that. hahahaha.

I know many people were hurt very disappointed when the NC campground was closed. Florida is still open and along with 'cabins' of retirees and ministers provides a good campground for 'snow birds'. I know the campground is open to the public.

Are there other Campgrounds where retirees live in the USA?
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/25/19 10:40 am

Post Cojak--amen! Aaron Scott
My dad was bequeathed a cabin in Wimauma by the daughter of "Fiddlin' Jim Lewis," a Church of God preacher from way back. They go to Wimauma for any number of reasons: Camp Meeting, a preaching engagement, to visit folks/friends that were church members from way back, or just to escape a cold streak.

I have long had an idea that I was unable to bring to fruition because (for one thing among many) I am not gifted to get people with big bucks to contribute to a worthy cause. That's why people like Dr. Paul Conn are so invaluable to a university: they can motivate people with deep pockets to give liberally.

Think of all those abandoned malls throughout Florida. I thought it would be just wonderful if those empty "stores" could be transformed into apartments of some sort.

The big box stores in the mall (e.g., an empty J.C. Penney, etc.) could be utilized for gathering areas, a cafeteria, a chapel/church, recreation, etc.

People could exercise by walking the mall in complete safety.

Now, here's where it gets interesting....

We could have a full-time pastor to these retired Church of God members. That pastor would live on-site (in a "parsonage/apartment") and would hold services for the residents, would visit them, etc. OR a local church that had the firepower to bring in quality music, programs, and preaching might serve the residents (and it might motivate the church if they get to "count" them in their reports, just as it would count for a nursing home, etc.).

Also, in lieu of full salary, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and caregivers could be given an "apartment" to live in so long as they were employed by the facility (ideally, these would come vetted by Church of God pastors).

A doctor could perhaps visit once a week--or people could be taken to the doctor, etc.

The massive parking lots could be converted into a "park" or a golf course, of sorts.

An "Activities Director" (think of someone like a James Cossey or the now deceased Arnold Godwin, etc.) who would put together trips, outings, schedule concerts, host talent shows, host game nights, etc.--all the stuff that can make life sweeter.

As for security, there are likely plenty of retired police officers who could serve as security (perhaps also living on-site). Further, instead of multiple entrances, there might be only a couple, with all the other doors used only in emergencies.

You see how big and convoluted this idea is. It's little wonder that I couldn't do anything with it except share it. (Arnold Godwin liked the idea, by the way.)

ONE MORE BIG THING....

What if those retired ministers, which centuries of collective experience and wisdom, manned a call center that allowed pastors to call in for advice or direction or prayer (anonymously, if they desired), or a prayer request line where someone could receive prayer, or get back to God, etc.?

That is, instead of just HOUSING our retired ministers, we could allow them to remain active to a significant degree. The "pastor" of the facility might have a regular rotation of ministers to teach Sunday School (broken up into all sorts of groups, perhaps), or to preach on occasion, and certainly to assist with visits, etc.

If anyone ever wins the lottery, do this. You will recall the woman that built a little room on this side of her house for Elisha? Not only did she RECEIVE a son, but she had the same son raised to life again. Not only was she warned by Elisha of a coming famine, but when she returned God gave her immediate favor with the king in reclaiming her lands.

We will never be able to suitably repay all the good that this ministers of the gospel, now old, have done for the Kingdom at large and the Church of God. But it would be nice if for a percentage of their Social Security (or not) they had a place to stay, utilities taken care of, and three meals a day, etc.

Just my thoughts.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/25/19 12:43 pm

Post How about Texas? roughridercog
Asking for a friend
1/25/19 1:07 pm

Post Thanks Aaron Cojak
I have thought the same about abandoned malls. I do not know how to stir interest, but it would be great is someone could. I think a group like 'Men of Action' could do most of the labor. I would certainly volunteer a year of labor. But I was a small time contractor, this is above my pay grade, but it woudl be wonderful...........

I was thinking before I posted, what areas would be attractive and least expensive. Some parts of Florida and Texas would be ideal..... Cool
1/25/19 11:46 pm

Post JLarry
I have thought about this for a long time. If I had the resources and the property was available, I would purchase property across the street from So. Ga. Campground. So. Ga. has a beautiful campground in a great location.

Build small homes and offer to retired ministers at a good cost.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
1/26/19 8:03 am

Post JLarry
I have thought about this for a long time. If I had the resources and the property was available, I would purchase property across the street from So. Ga. Campground. So. Ga. has a beautiful campground in a great location.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
1/26/19 8:03 am

Post Cojak
JLarry wrote:

Thumb Up Thumb Up
1/26/19 7:54 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic