Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do you have breakfast every day?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do you have breakfast every day? roughridercog
I either have Special K or 2 eggs. But today I had oatmeal,

What about your breakfast?

Of course I had 3 cups of coffee. Laughing
1/11/19 8:26 am

Post Dave Dorsey
As part of my weight loss journey, I have been skipping breakfast as a part of an intermittent fasting regime. I eat between 12pm and 2pm, depending on hunger. Skipping a whole meal really helps keep the calories down for the day, and if you drink some coffee in the morning (I usually drink a large cup or two, or I'll get an 20 oz iced coffee) it will really keep the appetite down. I recently decided to eat breakfast on Saturdays though, because breakfast is awesome.

I did have to start making my own cold brew, though, since drinking coffee on an empty stomach gave me heartburn. Cold brew comes out very concentrated, so you can just mix it with boiling water to get a piping hot cup of delicious joe. And the cold brew extraction process reduces the acidity of the coffee immensely.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/11/19 8:35 am

Post diakoneo
Oatmeal with raisins and honey and a cup of (8 o'clock whole bean fresh ground) coffee.

If you have never tried fresh grinding coffee beans, you do not know what you are missing. I can't go back to regular pre-ground coffee after fresh grinding for 2 years. Fresh ground tastes as close to what coffee smells like as you can get!
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
1/11/19 9:06 am

Post Dave Dorsey
diakoneo wrote:
If you have never tried fresh grinding coffee beans, you do not know what you are missing.

Indisputable truth.

And for extra points, get a burr grinder instead of a blade grinder. The blades are really rough on the beans and cause them to release extra acidity. But grinding fresh beans with anything is better than using pre-ground coffee.

For extra extra points, get a hand-cranked burr grinder. Nothing is manlier than turning a hand crank to grind your coffee beans. For even more points, add a beard and a flannel shirt.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/11/19 9:16 am

Post FLRon
Since I too have been on a weight loss mission,I have totally changed the way I eat breakfast. No more sausage, eggs and hash browns. Now it's yogurt and fruit. After breakfast I go for a three mile walk. When I get home I will sometimes have a cup if coffee. So far it's working well. I have to admit though that it wasn't easy to change my diet. Now, I'm glad I stuck with it.
1/11/19 9:44 am

Post Cojak
diakoneo wrote:
Oatmeal with raisins and honey and a cup of (8 o'clock whole bean fresh ground) coffee.

If you have never tried fresh grinding coffee beans, you do not know what you are missing. I can't go back to regular pre-ground coffee after fresh grinding for 2 years. Fresh ground tastes as close to what coffee smells like as you can get!

Just a big question for me, how much do you grind per cup, I mean a real cup, or mug (14oz) not sure what my mug holds, I should measure. But I still want to know. Cool
Coffee is my job around here.

Now to breakfast, I like 2 eggs 'up', grits and contry ham. Wife fixes the canned 'grand' biscuits, I don't have the nerve to say I ain't crazy about 'em, but prefer them to toast. ha!

I said I like the above but usually settle for a mixture of dry cereal, with a handful of oats added, pecans and raisins. The real breakfast is about once a week.

Our Sunday morning is 'Nearly always' splitting one biscuit with jelly and coffee at MCDonalds (when one is near the church).
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/11/19 1:07 pm

Post diakoneo
Cojak wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

Just a big question for me, how much do you grind per cup, I mean a real cup, or mug (14oz) not sure what my mug holds, I should measure. But I still want to know. Cool
Coffee is my job around here.

4 level tablespoons and a little over 6 cups of water(coffee pot marks)makes 2 large cups of coffee. Pretty strong coffee 😀 but not too strong. We have an auto.grinder that I set on six cups and fine. I make it every morning...it is my thing too lol
1/11/19 8:41 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Cojak, I've had a lot of success with the chart at the top of this page: https://lifehacker.com/make-a-perfect-cup-of-coffee-with-these-brewing-ratio-c-1644967428

I printed it out and taped it to the wall behind the coffee maker at work. Laughing

If possible, use a kitchen scale to weigh out your grounds. Different coffee beans have different densities when ground, so measuring by volume can result in inconsistent brews -- though it's usually fairly close.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/11/19 8:56 pm

Post diakoneo
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Cojak, I've had a lot of success with the chart at the top of this page: https://lifehacker.com/make-a-perfect-cup-of-coffee-with-these-brewing-ratio-c-1644967428

I printed it out and taped it to the wall behind the coffee maker at work. Laughing

If possible, use a kitchen scale to weigh out your grounds. Different coffee beans have different densities when ground, so measuring by volume can result in inconsistent brews -- though it's usually fairly close.

Yeah...we always use the same whole bean 8 o'clock coffee. Some other would probably give a different result. I am sure Dave uses a froo froo coffee Twisted Evil
1/11/19 9:09 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
diakoneo wrote:
Yeah...we always use the same whole bean 8 o'clock coffee. Some other would probably give a different result. I am sure Dave uses a froo froo coffee Twisted Evil

I mostly do cold brew, since it has such lower acidity. You want a dark roast for cold brew, preferably Kenyan, Sumatran, etc. Starbucks typically has a very good selection of well-sourced dark roasts, so I usually go there, especially since I can have them grind it (since when you do cold brew you do the whole batch at once) just the way I want.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/11/19 10:26 pm

Post DK DD Cojak
Okay RR, we are still talking breakfast here. So most mornings we do the cereal thing. But I am still on the coffee I usually make 10 cups. MY wife actually says I make great coffee. the measurements of my coffee, match this chart I printed.

Being a sailor sorta messes with your coffee taste. My wife and sons say I have no taste, I can drink it two days old heated up. LOL
But Imma going to impress them. Son is coming down for my 80th birthday. He is a coffee connoisseur (he thinks). My wife embarrasses me by asking a waiter is the coffee fresh, WHO CARES!

Anyway before I order me a coffee grinder, can I use the blender??? OR put the beans in a sock and beat it? just askin'
1/12/19 12:36 am

Post Re: DK DD diakoneo
Cojak wrote:
Okay RR, we are still talking breakfast here. So most mornings we do the cereal thing. But I am still on the coffee I usually make 10 cups. MY wife actually says I make great coffee. the measurements of my coffee, match this chart I printed.

Being a sailor sorta messes with your coffee taste. My wife and sons say I have no taste, I can drink it two days old heated up. LOL
But Imma going to impress them. Son is coming down for my 80th birthday. He is a coffee connoisseur (he thinks). My wife embarrasses me by asking a waiter is the coffee fresh, WHO CARES!

Anyway before I order me a coffee grinder, can I use the blender??? OR put the beans in a sock and beat it? just askin'

Get a Black and Decker grinder at Walmart. It is automatic. You could use a sock instead and a #4 sledgehammer Laughing
1/12/19 7:28 pm

Post Re: DK DD Cojak
diakoneo wrote:
Cojak wrote:

Get a Black and Decker grinder at Walmart. It is automatic. You could use a sock instead and a #4 sledgehammer Laughing

I don't have a sledge that small so I ordered the grinder and some 8 o'clock beans from Amazon. Amazon-smile loves me and I give a little to Operation compassion. I will make a report back about Wednesday if all goes well.

To the OP: We will have breakfast with McDonald in the AM before church. My wife says MC D's coffee is very good. Wink Imma show her I know some 'stuff'. Smile
1/12/19 11:59 pm

Post FLRon
diakoneo wrote:

When I was a kid I’d go to the store with my aunt and she always got a bag of coffee beans and ground them in the store’s grinder. Even as a kid i loved the smell of fresh ground coffee. Since I retired, I don’t drink near as much coffee so I got myself one of those fancy Keurigs. It’s an expensive way to drink coffee, but so is throwing out a half a pot. Besides, I’m no coffee snob so I buy the cheapest K-cups I can find.
1/13/19 6:26 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Oatmeal with ginger, cinnamon (not sugar), chia seeds, honey with a fruit. Either a banana or blueberries. Coffee, of course! Been eating this for almost 10 years now. Acts-pert Poster
1/14/19 6:55 am

Post roughridercog
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Oatmeal with ginger, cinnamon (not sugar), chia seeds, honey with a fruit. Either a banana or blueberries. Coffee, of course! Been eating this for almost 10 years now.

Aw, you're just a regular guy. Laughing
1/14/19 7:30 am

Post roughridercog
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Oatmeal with ginger, cinnamon (not sugar), chia seeds, honey with a fruit. Either a banana or blueberries. Coffee, of course! Been eating this for almost 10 years now.

Aw, you're just a regular guy. Laughing
1/14/19 7:30 am

Post DD & DK Cojak
I bought a bunch of 8 o'clock beans and a grinder. I still haven't got it down pat yet to how much. I did not know a size to get so my grinder only grinds about 3/4 cup at one time. So since I like it strong, I am working from there.

3/4 cup beans for 10 cups is the last. So far it is just a little better than my other brew. I am continuing to give ti a try and since I am hi-jacking RR's post If I ever get it right, I will come back here or start a post.

But to try to stay with breakfast, we had breakfast at Ihop with our son to see him off after my Birthday week. I like their coffee but not their pancakes. I prefer a pancake that is not 'cakey' if that makes any sense. I prefer Denny's pancakes they do not soak up as much syrup. IMO.

I do like Waffle house 'Pecan Waffle' much better than pancakes.
1/19/19 8:23 pm

Post Re: DD & DK diakoneo
Cojak wrote:
I bought a bunch of 8 o'clock beans and a grinder. I still haven't got it down pat yet to how much. I did not know a size to get so my grinder only grinds about 3/4 cup at one time. So since I like it strong, I am working from there.

3/4 cup beans for 10 cups is the last. So far it is just a little better than my other brew. I am continuing to give ti a try and since I am hi-jacking RR's post If I ever get it right, I will come back here or start a post.

But to try to stay with breakfast, we had breakfast at Ihop with our son to see him off after my Birthday week. I like their coffee but not their pancakes. I prefer a pancake that is not 'cakey' if that makes any sense. I prefer Denny's pancakes they do not soak up as much syrup. IMO.

I do like Waffle house 'Pecan Waffle' much better than pancakes.

We use 8 o'clock Columbian Peaks (it has a little better flavor than regular). 2 level tablespoons per 3 cups coffee (six ounce cups lol) I drink coffee black and strong but with fresh ground it is really not necessary to use as much.

I am told that community whole bean is pretty good too.

Yeah, I like Denny's breakfast the best...
1/30/19 9:40 pm

Post Anyone try Death Wish Coffee? roughridercog
I've been tempted to order some.
1/31/19 8:33 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic