Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Have any of you transferred from COG to AG?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Nature Boy Florida
I got the whole story.

It happened.

AG made a big mistake allowing it to happen.
9/13/15 1:42 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
I left the CoG in 1985 & went into the A/G. Came back to the CoG 15 years ago simply because the Lord opened a door of ministry for me & Dr. Lynn Stone (AB at the time) offered to help me switch my credentials.

Dean, this was much more than the good Lord usin Dr Stone to open a door of ministry for you. The was the good Lord's sovereign method of gittin you back in the COG. Glad you back in the fold, son.
Acts-pert Poster
9/13/15 2:04 pm

Post bigd1974
I do know that here in the Southern Missouri District, that if you plant or start a church within a certain distance of an established General Council or District AG church, that you must meet with and obtain "permission" from that church in order for the plant to come into the fellowship of the district. A pastor in a General Council AG church cannot be removed by the church board. He can only be removed by a majority vote of the congregation in a properly called business meeting of the church. If it is a District church, then the District has jurisdiction over the pastor. It is my understanding that each District can make its own bylaws and there may be some nuances that are different BUT there are some general guidelines that each district/church must apply (i.e. Sixteen Fundamental Truths)

Thanks to you brethren for your comments and remarks. I love and have the utmost respect for the COG. You'd have to be in S.W. Missouri to understand, but COG just does not have a presence here. And the resources to try to properly establish new COG works here are limited, almost non-existent. We've closed - replanted three or four COG's in this area, including what used to be regarded the Springfield District church (it's now a storefront) It's truly sad.
Acts-celerater
9/15/15 8:12 pm

Post Re: I have been AG since 1986 Randy Johnson
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
brotherjames wrote:
The system of govt works really well IN most cases. The pastor is the president of the corporation and chairman of the official Board. You cannot be voted out by that board only by a majority of the members. The District will help you when asked and leave you alone if there are no problems. .

Isn't this according to the bylaws of each local church? I know personally of an AG pastor whose board fired him and gave him thirty days to be out of the parsonage. There was never a vote by his congregation. His family were members of my church. I have heard of similar instances with other AG pastors. Some have said that is the thing that they love about the COG is that a local council cannot fire them and, even if a church votes for a change, that the AB must find them another church before they leave.

There was no congregational vote because the pastor chose to fall on his own sword rather than create the possibility of hurting the church so that people leave or, God forbid, causing a split that forms a new congregation.

Many smaller churches (< 100), which is the majority of churches in the A/G, have church bosses just like the COG. The difference is, you won't get voted out as easily in a COG as you will in an A/G.
Ickesburg, Pennsylvania
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/20/15 5:34 pm

Post Re: I have been AG since 1986 bigd1974
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
brotherjames wrote:
The system of govt works really well IN most cases. The pastor is the president of the corporation and chairman of the official Board. You cannot be voted out by that board only by a majority of the members. The District will help you when asked and leave you alone if there are no problems. .

Isn't this according to the bylaws of each local church? I know personally of an AG pastor whose board fired him and gave him thirty days to be out of the parsonage. There was never a vote by his congregation. His family were members of my church. I have heard of similar instances with other AG pastors. Some have said that is the thing that they love about the COG is that a local council cannot fire them and, even if a church votes for a change, that the AB must find them another church before they leave.

Actually, a local COG can force a pastor out, by starving him out. It's hard to stay and pastor a church if you can't pay your bills or feed your family.
Acts-celerater
9/25/15 4:16 pm

Post Cojak
I kicked this forward for discussion. I was taken by the J-ville incident mentioned by NBF. No doubt the practice is officially not allowed, but as always, human activity comes into play and things like pulling license or denying a plant can happen in an untoward way.

I respect the AG but definitely prefer COG mainly because of my life in a COG parsonage. My dad loved the COG, and I broke his heart when I turned im my license. He began in the COG in the 1920s leaving the Fire Baptized because he felt God leading him to the COG.
That said, he enjoyed fellowship with all churches, in my time I did the same. Cool
Randy's comment above I would wager has a lot of fact in it. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/8/19 11:20 pm

Post roughridercog
bigd1974 wrote:
I live in Springfield...i'll be in the Southern Missouri District. You are correct in that it seems AG has tons of resources that they have to be utilized. However, you are also right in that it seems as a movement, the AG is trying to slowly move moderate as it regards lots of things. I do feel I identify strongly with the 16 fundamental truths of the AG. But, I honestly see little if any significant difference with the 16 FT vs. the Declaration of Faith in the COG. I do feel that the polity of the AG seems to be easier to deal with, in that one person (Administrative Bishop) doesn't make or brake you in the AG. Oh there's politics to be sure. Missouri COG just has no presence in SW Missouri. They have closed more churches in the last 5 years than they've opened. The main COG in Springfield is now a storefront. There is nothing here in COG unless you're willing to plant a COG in this area. I've made lots of COG friends and love them and the COG. I have no ax to grind with COG. It's just a matter of geography and opportunity for me.

My wife and I are members there. The church is outgrowing the facility and we currently are looking for a different place. But the Springfield real estate market is crazy.
1/9/19 8:20 am

Post Cojak
And here all the time I thought you (RR) were picking a guitar or tickling a keyboard in Branson. Wink

But years ago in the 60's when we lived in Kirksville, MO we drove way down to Springfield to see the AG HQ. My conservative ire was raised at the opulent layout. LOL. The COG will never be this showy, we will use our monies for spreading the WORD.

Little does the ignorant know!!!!! LOL A few years ago as a gen. contractor, I was given a tour of the new COG & mission HQ, I recalled the ignorance of a young COG preacher. I have no idea what the AG HQ looks like now, but if they are the same, WE SURE SHOWED THEM! We didn't mess around. Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/9/19 11:48 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic