Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Let's let "catchers" go the way of the dinosaurs

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Let's let "catchers" go the way of the dinosaurs roughridercog
We want to see God move, but have we come to the point where we can't trust God to move.
Here is an example.
At one time, the altar committee at state meetings meant to be prepared to pray and counsel people with needs at our altars. Now it has the meaning of zig zagging and maneuvering through people praying and worshipping to "catch" people being prayed for.

Okay, let me vent a bit here.

First, we have preachers and hearers who are addicted to getting "slain in the Spirit." These head slapper, neck crackers, and body rockers will do anything to get a person down. It's like notches on the gun. You're not having great services unless the altar area looks like a Civil War battlefield. Pray for people. That is great and biblical. But if they are going down because of fleshly manipulation, you have gone from preacher of the Gospel to a showman.
Second, there are hearers who just can't wait for someone to pray for them so they can fall down. They love the attention it brings them. Honestly, they kind of like being caught. One wonders why they don't just get on the ground ahead of time since you know that is where they are going to end up.
Third, it can create an idea that unless you fall down, you are unspiritual, quenching or resisting the Holy Spirit.

Dare I say this?

This is why mass people fall back when a speaker waves his arm.

If it was a move of God, why did the speaker have to dramatically wave his arm.

Have I fallen under the power of God? Yes

Have I allowed someone to shove me down? No

Will I do a mercy drop? Not even at gun point.

Catchers? Forget about them.

If someone happens to fall under the power of God, let Him be in control of it.

Next time you see the head slapper, neck cracker, body wobbler, do you dare have the nerve to rebuke them?

Okay, let the tirade begin. Laughing
1/7/19 8:59 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Would it be in order to rebuke them during a campmeeting service?

Would you be having more than your neck cracked with the overseer immediately following service?
1/7/19 9:22 am

Post roughridercog
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Would it be in order to rebuke them during a campmeeting service?

Would you be having more than your neck cracked with the overseer immediately following service?

Do it face to face afterwards.

But if the shoving and neck cracking is public, one wonders if a public rebuke might be more effective. Just thinking out loud here.
1/7/19 9:24 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I’ve been a part of many services over the years where falling backwards into the waiting arms of usher-catchers was commonplace. I am not opposed to falling forwards or backwards, in and of itself, but I really don’t think catchers are necessary or helpful, all things considered. Whenever I have been in charge of services where the laying on of hands occurred, I have not had catchers. I have also not had very many who fell out without a catcher present. It seems that many are willing to fall backwards if they know someone will catch them and let them down easy.

By far, my preferred type of altar service is when people are kneeling or on their face in brokenness and prayer. The only time I ever have people stand for prayer and lay hands on them is when they are sick or otherwise specially request it. I have no interest at all in the “line ‘em up and knock ‘em down” show.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/7/19 10:07 am

Post sheepdogandy
We don't catch at SPWC.

If you fall you better be "in the Spirit". Wink

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/7/19 11:40 am

Post Cojak
BUT, but you would be contradicting some of the well known actions of high profile men of God in the COG!

That said, I have read, even here on Acts that some are fearful of serious injuries and lawsuits.

When I attended the Mt Holly COG our pastor NEVER mentioned, encouraged or asked for 'catchers.' Our services were normal COG services just as QW has described above.
BUT when one high profile pastor went independent in our area one of his former members attended our church, searching for a new COG home church. As was normal our pastor asked if anyone needed special prayer, the new man stepped forward. Our pastor anointed and prayed in the normal fashion of COG for decades. The man fell backwards, A very loud thump as he hit his head on the arm of the first pew. It actually shocked and scared me it was so loud.
The man got up rubbing his head and asked aloud, "Where were the catchers?"

At that moment I felt in my soul, 'someone has created a practice never seen in the early days of the COG.'

AND on a serious note, I would hate to see the media having a hey-day over a possible lawsuit at the expense of an evangelical church or pastor.

I definitely would not have a problem with a 'disclaimer' in a bulletin and small message on a bulletin board that 'This church does not follow the modern practice of catchers!'
note: If God puts you down, HE will protect you!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/7/19 12:06 pm

Post FLRon
sheepdogandy wrote:
We don't catch at SPWC.

If you fall you better be "in the Spirit". Wink

And that’s the way it should be everyplace!
1/7/19 2:29 pm

Post FLRon
Like every other Pentecostal preacher who frequents this site, I too have seen my share of slain in the Spirit preachers. For the record, I personally believe it is real, but I also believe it to be a very rare occurrence. These mass falling are simply not real, nor is people falling on top of one another a move of God, and I stand upon that statement.

The worst “slain in the Spirit’ spectacle I’ve ever witnessed was in a recent 4 day revival with a former COG AB. Long retired from the pastorate as well as the state office, he travels the country holding services with whatever church will let him come. He preaches very little of the Word, but is very long on stories, as well as very healthy dose of humor. Classic case of a preacher that done should have hung it up but can’t stay away from the limelight long enough. Needless to say, not my cup of tea but whatever.

What I witnessed was both shocking and disgusting as for 4 nights the same people came up to have hands laid on them and receive a “word”, and each and every time these same people fell out. Funny, most of these people never came up for prayer before the revival or the rest of the year for that matter. Guess no one but the man of gawd was worthy to pray for them!

I could go on but I’ve rambled enough. Count me as among those that can do without any more supposedly spiritual spectacles. Now, if these same people would put as much effort into praying, fasting, and seeking the Lord then MAYBE there would be something to talk about!
1/7/19 2:45 pm

Post drmrc
Dear Sister Eva Cross, widow of M. P. Cross was a member of our church when I came as pastor in Chattanooga. She expressed concern about the "catchers" at the altar services of some of the churches she had visited. She said, "If it's the Holy Ghost, they won't get hurt when they fall and if it's not the Holy Ghost they ought to get hurt." That's kind of how I look at it. :)

By the way have you noticed that when no catchers are present very few people seem to fall. I guess the anointing must being in the catchers and not the person doing the laying on of hands. LOL :)

Mike Chapman
Friendly Face
1/7/19 6:29 pm

Post Not so fast JimmieDavis
Most of you haven’t resurrected a dead man, so unless you want Paul to shorten his sermons you should probably have a provision in place for those who fall. It’s called wisdom. Some of you are so smug, your arrogance will keep you from taking care of people in the altar call. Friendly Face
1/7/19 7:08 pm

Post Re: Not so fast Cojak
JimmieDavis wrote:
Most of you haven’t resurrected a dead man, so unless you want Paul to shorten his sermons you should probably have a provision in place for those who fall. It’s called wisdom. Some of you are so smug, your arrogance will keep you from taking care of people in the altar call.

Aww I don't know about that JD. I get the impression that most of the commenters are honest men of God pointing out an obvious problem in our present day churches... JMHO from the pew!

Love you brother! Cool Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/7/19 10:47 pm

Post Never fallen... Aaron Scott
Schambach smacked the living daylights out of me, but I didn't go down--AND I got a good blessing.

T.L. Lowery has prayed for me couple of times. Didn't go down, but, yep, got a good blessing.

The problem, I think, is that people equate falling out with being "more spiritual," and so they do it.

I also believe, however, that while it is not nearly so common as it would appear, there are absolutely times when the Spirit does overcome a person, etc., and they fall out.

The Bible does speak of how we can be kept from falling. People need to read up on that.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/9/19 11:33 am

Post Re: Never fallen... roughridercog
Aaron Scott wrote:
Schambach smacked the living daylights out of me, but I didn't go down--AND I got a good blessing.

T.L. Lowery has prayed for me couple of times. Didn't go down, but, yep, got a good blessing.

The problem, I think, is that people equate falling out with being "more spiritual," and so they do it.

I also believe, however, that while it is not nearly so common as it would appear, there are absolutely times when the Spirit does overcome a person, etc., and they fall out.

The Bible does speak of how we can be kept from falling. People need to read up on that.

What I notice is that its usually the same people who are falling. Almost like a spiritual addiction. Laughing
1/9/19 11:36 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Sorry JD. I'm pretty old now - and I also don't like that "move of God" that slays folks in the altar.

I saw an elderly former missionary lady killed right here in Jacksonville at a COG state meeting for North Florida when a heavy man got slain in the spirit - fell back - knocked her over - she smacked her head on the hard floor - ambulance called - she never left the hospital and died a few days later.

To this day - I can still hear in my mind the sickening thud of her head when it hit the floor. That was NOT of God. Period.

I am totally against that practice ever since that time.
1/9/19 12:12 pm

Post Interesting JimmieDavis
Actually I think the guys who stand up think they are more spiritual. As if to prove you can resist. Let me help you all. God can make you fall if He wanted to. You are not all that. Don’t resist. Don’t courtesy drop. But don’t quench either. And for those falling in the floor. How bout we just demonstrate the fruit of The Spirit and be kind and provide a catcher. Not that difficult at all. Stop being religious. Friendly Face
1/9/19 3:38 pm

Post Re: Interesting roughridercog
JimmieDavis wrote:
Actually I think the guys who stand up think they are more spiritual. As if to prove you can resist. Let me help you all. God can make you fall if He wanted to. You are not all that. Don’t resist. Don’t courtesy drop. But don’t quench either. And for those falling in the floor. How bout we just demonstrate the fruit of The Spirit and be kind and provide ja catcher. Not that difficult at all. Stop being religious.

I disagree with the idea of being more spiritual. Personally, I have fallen under the power. I have no problem with it.

The problem I have is when we make people falling down the plumb line for spirituality or a good service. We all have seen guys who when they pray for you, they are expecting you to go down. They have their catchers manipulated into place, get their wind up in motion, and with emphasis that is often on them rather tha Gd, they will slap, knock down, neck crack, or rock someone off balance. Then go on to the next person who in their mind might possibly be thinking, "If I don't fall down, everyone will think I'm unspiritual or quenching the Spirit." So they go down and the trend of spiritual manipulation continues.
I have just made up my mind that if God puts me down, it will be Him. No one will need to catch me. If someone tries to put me down, we just might lock together and see who goes down. (Hope it makes it on Facebook.) Laughing and if these habitual dropper flop back and there is no catcher, then like my daddy used to say, "That'll break that dog from suckin' eggs," Surprised
1/9/19 5:27 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Even though I am not a fan of neck-crackers except for licensed chiropractors or osteopaths, one time a prophetic evangelist gave me a startlingly accurate word of knowledge right before slapping my forehead hard enough to crack my neck. I was greatly blessed and encouraged by the word he gave, even though I still think the neck cracking was uncalled for. Said that to say, I don’t think all neck-crackers have evil motives behind their questionable methods. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/9/19 5:49 pm

Post roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Even though I am not a fan of neck-crackers except for licensed chiropractors or osteopaths, one time a prophetic evangelist gave me a startlingly accurate word of knowledge right before slapping my forehead hard enough to crack my neck. I was greatly blessed and encouraged by the word he gave, even though I still think the neck cracking was uncalled for. Said that to say, I don’t think all neck-crackers have evil motives behind their questionable methods.

Hmmm, maybe the others are poor imitations. Laughing
1/9/19 6:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic