Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Something in line with RR's thoughts of late..

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Something in line with RR's thoughts of late.. Cojak
PRAYER: Since I can hear better, I find myself listening to the pastor (or leaders) prayer, and saying, 'AMEN LORD', I guess sorta adopting the prayer because that is what I wanted to say. At times I am convicted that I am just lazy. I think of what a BIL said at a family gathering when someone said, "Jim I didn't understand what you said." His answer with a smile, "I wasn't talking to you!" Smile Cool

Now lately I am taken back 40 years.

I have been reminded of something that was common years ago. You might even use it. This is not a condemnation of a practice, just my explanation. I have been hearing it in the store front we attended weeks ago and lately in an older COG. At the end of a sermon the words given in the form of a command, "EVERY EYE CLOSED EVERY HEAD BOWED."

When I lost my hearing I read lips. So my eyes remained open. Several times sitting in the back of the church When the pastor asked if anyone needed salvation. he would say, "Thank you my friend, yes, yes, we are praying for you. Yes there is another. People all over this congregation are lifting their hands, pray people."
At that time I had not seen a hand raised. True, I would not see them all, but surely, at least one out of 10. Just sayin', that is sorta manipulative. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/4/19 11:35 am

Post I've caught that, too. roughridercog
While reading this post, I thought of an invitation made by Finney.

He was addressing a group that was full of unbelievers. He gave them opportunity to respond to the Word. No one responded. He didn't back down. He said in paraphrase, "Then you have determined in your heart to reject God and His Son, Jesus Christ. I feel sorry for you. I will preach to you one more time tomorrow night."
The next day he discovered the people were fearful, furious, and in a state of conviction that delighted him. The next service was much different with a much different response.
1/4/19 2:22 pm

Post Re: Something in line with RR's thoughts of late.. FLRon
Cojak wrote:
PRAYER: Since I can hear better, I find myself listening to the pastor (or leaders) prayer, and saying, 'AMEN LORD', I guess sorta adopting the prayer because that is what I wanted to say. At times I am convicted that I am just lazy. I think of what a BIL said at a family gathering when someone said, "Jim I didn't understand what you said." His answer with a smile, "I wasn't talking to you!" Smile Cool

Now lately I am taken back 40 years.

I have been reminded of something that was common years ago. You might even use it. This is not a condemnation of a practice, just my explanation. I have been hearing it in the store front we attended weeks ago and lately in an older COG. At the end of a sermon the words given in the form of a command, "EVERY EYE CLOSED EVERY HEAD BOWED."

When I lost my hearing I read lips. So my eyes remained open. Several times sitting in the back of the church When the pastor asked if anyone needed salvation. he would say, "Thank you my friend, yes, yes, we are praying for you. Yes there is another. People all over this congregation are lifting their hands, pray people."
At that time I had not seen a hand raised. True, I would not see them all, but surely, at least one out of 10. Just sayin', that is sorta manipulative. Shocked

“Sorta manipulative”? You are far too kind my friend! That is outright lying! Let’s call it like it is: any pastor who would do that would lie about ANYTHING!
1/4/19 7:39 pm

Post Let's not pretend manipulation is a new thing roughridercog
"God told me there are ten people here tonight who can write a thousand dollar check."
OF COURSES THEY CAN WRITE THEM. THERE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE SUFFICIENT FUNDS IN THE ACCOUNT.
Pardon all caps. It's done to separate sections.

"God told me there is someone here with back pain."

YEAH! HALF THE PEOPLE HERE ARE OVER FIFTY! WORK MANUAL LABOR! AND WE HAVE BEEB SITTING ON HARD WOODEN PEWS.

The time honored--"There were teenagers sitting in the back of the church making light of the service. When the altar call came, they refused to come. At the end of the service, before their car went a hundred yards, a truck hit them, killing all of them."

THOSE TEENS HAVE BEEN KILLED TOO MANY TIMES AND WHY IS THAT TRUCKER STILL DRIVING? BUT EVERY SPEAKER CLAIMED IT WAS IN ONE OF HIS MEETINGS.

I'm sure every one of us can add to the list of manipulative so we've heard.

I've come to the point in my life where I'm forced to say, "What's the matter? Isn't the Gospel and Holy Spirit enough any more?"
1/7/19 8:42 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic