Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Anyone remember when evangelists would do this?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Anyone remember when evangelists would do this? roughridercog
During the message, the evangelist would call people out, whisper in their ear their sins that they thought were hidden. People would collapse to their knees calling out to God in repentance. Even though he didn't know the individuals, the evangelist would name the sin, situation, and explain the a merciful God was calling them to repentance.
One can't help but wonder if this would be absolutely terrifying to today's modernistic church.

Your opinion?
1/4/19 7:32 am

Post FLRon
Today’s modernistic church has nothing to worry about because today’s pastors have developed a paranoia about scheduling an evangelist to come to their church. Something about being fearful the evangelist might uncover some things that they will have to deal with.

But to your point, if such an evangelist were to find a church to preach in, the congregation would likely be terrified, bombard their pastor with complaints, thus shutting down any scheduled meetings.
1/4/19 7:55 am

Post Cojak
It might just be a breath of fresh air in many churches.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/4/19 11:14 am

Post Re: Anyone remember when evangelists would do this? skinnybishop
roughridercog wrote:
During the message, the evangelist would call people out, whisper in their ear their sins that they thought were hidden. People would collapse to their knees calling out to God in repentance. Even though he didn't know the individuals, the evangelist would name the sin, situation, and explain the a merciful God was calling them to repentance.
One can't help but wonder if this would be absolutely terrifying to today's modernistic church.

Your opinion?

It has been a long time since I encountered an effective evangelist. A few years back, I reluctantly scheduled a particular evangelist. I had reservations about him, but he was highly recommended by friends. After two nights of rudeness, gimmicks, games, and fund-raising, I canceled the remainder of the revival.

Before that I was in a revival with a well-known evangelist in our state. He was one of those "flowing in the prophetic" guys. His gimmick was calling people out of the audience by name, to "give them a word". After he did his thing he'd ask the person "Now wasn't I right? Wasn't Bro. So and So on target for you?"

All was going well, until this took place. True story....

"Is there a Carl here?"
(Dead silent in the church.)

"Come on now.....Don't be afraid! Come on Carl!..(No response)...Or Carl-TON?....Or a Car-LEE?" (No response)

Finally one guy stood up and said helpfully, "My name is CA-ROLL"
Evangelist said, "That's good enough....Come on up brother".

And the show went on

I'm not afraid of any evangelist exposing our shortcomings...I grow weary of theirs.
1/4/19 11:25 am

Post p5harri
Perhaps I've become very jaded through the years.

I remember mostly the evangelists who called people out and then preceded to get everything wrong. But, it looked good....because the ones I know that this happened to didn't bother to call the evangelist out for it.

I'm more impressed with the Evangelists, especially back in the 80's in the Church of God, who were able to bring the majority of the church to the altar without singling out one individual.
1/4/19 11:37 am

Post Eddie Robbins
People used to put their cigarettes on the altar when they got saved and we saw changed lives. Now, after a guy gets saved, he can curse, berate women, call people names, etc and gets excused for being a baby Christian. Laughing Acts-pert Poster
1/5/19 7:51 pm

Post Re: Anyone remember when evangelists would do this? Link
roughridercog wrote:

Your opinion?

I go to a church with a pastor who used to have a big worldwide evangelistic ministry, and before that, he used to do street witnessing as a young man. Some gangsters with guns threatened him when he was younger, he said. He started telling one of them all about his past and tears rolled down his cheeks. He told the others to stop threatening, that this is for real. I've seen him do similar things. I've seen other people in the church do similar things. I don't know if I have seen him tell someone a list of their sins in the church like that. Maybe he's done that, the whispering sins thing, at an altar call and I did not know about it.

My wife knew a man from church had slept with someone besides his wife and confronted him about it, and was right about it.
1/5/19 10:19 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic