Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Are most of your sermons exhortation, inspiration, or manipulation?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Are most of your sermons exhortation, inspiration, or manipulation? roughridercog
Plus how about the ones your listen to on TV or at conventions?

Though this would make good discussion.
1/2/19 8:57 am

Post Re: Are most of your sermons exhortation, inspiration, or manipulation? Resident Skeptic
roughridercog wrote:
Plus how about the ones your listen to on TV or at conventions?

Though this would make good discussion.

I've grown weary of the standard Pentecostal "sermonizing". The John MacArthur approach of a continual commentary on the Bible, chapter-by-chapter, verse-by-verse, with minimal illustrations, has become very appealing to me.
1/2/19 10:51 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I prefer the expository approach above all. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/19 11:04 am

Post A question roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I prefer the expository approach above all.

Cannot expository preaching fall into one of these three categories ?
1/2/19 11:06 am

Post Re: A question Quiet Wyatt
roughridercog wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Expository preaching aims to expound upon a particular passage, in context, within one sermon. It would depend, to a large degree, upon the passage as to whether the sermon itself might be inspirational, etc. In my experience, the expository approach can’t be limited to the categories you list, any more than the Scriptures can be limited in that way.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/19 11:13 am

Post Re: A question roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Expository preaching aims to expound upon a particular passage, in context, within one sermon. It would depend, to a large degree, upon the passage as to whether the sermon itself might be inspirational, etc. In my experience, the expository approach can’t be limited to the categories you list, any more than the Scriptures can be limited in that way.

Maybe it depends on what the motivation of the speaker is. Exactly what does he want his preaching to accomplish.
1/2/19 1:29 pm

Post Cojak
On the receiving end, in the pew, I prefer the INSPIRATIONAL! Smile When I used to listen to the radio traveling at nights, it seemed the Radio preachers were 'manipulative.'

I have known COG preachers who seemed to 'throw out the guilt trip' a lot, I assume that is manipulative.

Embarassed

As a member I appreciate the 'expository' delivery. And yes that too can be manipulation if used to get to a predetermined personal desired end. I haven't noticed in our pastors. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/2/19 8:03 pm

Post Preacher777
I prefer expository preaching as my normal way of presenting the Word. I do not guilt people into attending our prayer meetings but let the Word challenge the truth of walking in the Spirit rather than letting our flesh and soulish realm dominate us.

My main objective is to preach/reach the Word in a manner that allows the Holy Spirit to convict and encourage people to continually praise God, read the Word and pray as a way of life. I try my best to preach, teach and lead by example with the simplicity of overflowing with the Holy Spirit and letting the fruits of the spirit flow from us.
Friendly Face
1/3/19 8:20 am

Post Re: A question Quiet Wyatt
roughridercog wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Maybe it depends on what the motivation of the speaker is. Exactly what does he want his preaching to accomplish.

The goal of expository preaching is to produce biblically well-informed disciples of Christ, who are themselves able interpret the Scriptures in context, properly handling the word of truth. I suppose some may have an agenda other than expounding the Scriptures, but such would be a real betrayal of the core concept of expository preaching itself.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/3/19 9:41 am

Post Re: A question Resident Skeptic
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
roughridercog wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

The goal of expository preaching is to produce biblically well-informed disciples of Christ, who are themselves able interpret the Scriptures in context, properly handling the word of truth. I suppose some may have an agenda other than expounding the Scriptures, but such would be a real betrayal of the core concept of expository preaching itself.

I am persuaded there are some preachers who feel threatened by biblically well-informed disciples of Christ, who are themselves able interpret the Scriptures in context, properly handling the word of truth.
1/3/19 1:43 pm

Post Da Sheik
Whatever it takes to get 'em into the altar Twisted Evil Acts Enthusiast
1/3/19 2:58 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
Whatever it takes to get 'em into the altar Twisted Evil
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/3/19 6:59 pm

Post I've been studying messages and sermons roughridercog
It's amazing how many I've examined are manipulative.
1/3/19 7:12 pm

Post Re: I've been studying messages and sermons Quiet Wyatt
roughridercog wrote:

What do you mean by manipulative?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/3/19 7:52 pm

Post Re: I've been studying messages and sermons roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

What do you mean by manipulative?

Endeavoring to get an individual or group to bend to your wishes. While the wishes may not be inherently evil, they may be man centered, an appeal for more money, aa vote to go a certain way, etc. just spitballing examples off the top of my head.
1/3/19 9:49 pm

Post Do you find the most shallow preaching... roughridercog
Is topical preaching while expository preaching has more depth and produces more lasting benefits?
1/4/19 7:35 am

Post Preacher777
I believe topical preaching tends to appeal to the "watch Christian TV mentality to be spoon fed what I need to know about God." I feel expository teaching allows me to incorporate the basics of hermeneutics, historical background and context. One of my goals in preaching is to teach and stir people up on ways to properly study and interpret scripture on their own. Therefore, I do believe expository preaching has more depth. Friendly Face
1/4/19 8:17 am

Post Expository preaching through a book is great roughridercog
It allows for continuity, consistent learning, and no one can accuse you of aiming at them. If someone gets hit, that topic would have been coming for a period of time and no one but God would have known they were going to be there this morning.
1/5/19 8:17 am

Post Re: Expository preaching through a book is great Da Sheik
roughridercog wrote:
It allows for continuity, consistent learning, and no one can accuse you of aiming at them. If someone gets hit, that topic would have been coming for a period of time and no one but God would have known they were going to be there this morning.

I agree 100%. However, it should also be noted also that "expository" doesn't mean you have to go through an entire book. To "exposit" is simply to explain or describe the meaning of the text. So with that said, I think there is a place for topical preaching as long as texts are not completely removed from their immediate context. Otherwise one would never be able to preach from the book of Proverbs. Try doing a series verse-by-verse through Proverbs and report back to me Razz

I prefer the method you're suggesting Rough. Just wanted to add some counterpoint. I see church signs which advertise "expository preaching" and I know what they mean. They're going through a book of the bible one chapter at a time. But true expository preaching is not limited to that. Some of those same churches that boast of "expository preaching" also have KJV 1611 on the signs Laughing
Acts Enthusiast
1/5/19 11:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic