Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

If one of the early leaders of the COG would step into your pulpit...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post If one of the early leaders of the COG would step into your pulpit... roughridercog
this Sunday morning, what would be their reaction to your church? The worship? What would they preach and how well do you think their message would be received?

Hmmmmm, makes you think.
1/2/19 9:00 am

Post FLRon
I’m not saying I agree with everything that the early leaders espoused, because I do not, but they would likely say “excuse me, can you tell me where the Holiness church is? The sign out front says ‘Church of God’ but they must be meeting someplace else”.

They would probably run out of the building at the first screaming guitar solo.

If they stuck around they would preach on salvation and sanctification.

Their message would not be received at all. They would never be invited back, that is a fact.

Other than these few things, they wouldn’t have much to say.

Yes, I know....ouch.
1/2/19 3:39 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
About the same as if you stepped into their 1918 pulpit. It would be crazy! Acts-pert Poster
1/2/19 5:01 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
If they were looking for clothesline ‘holiness’ standards, they would be disappointed. Other than that, I’m pretty sure the church I pastor hasn’t changed much since it was founded in 1933. 🤓 [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/19 5:08 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I would absolutely love to hear guys like Tomlinson, Bryant, Spurling, etc., preach. I would especially love to hear what their vision for the Church of God is, and what they believe the Church of God should be like in these last days. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/19 5:52 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I should say, we do sometimes use a laptop to show videos. I’m not sure if that would bother them. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/19 7:29 pm

Post Da Sheik
I think if they traveled into the future they would abhor our worldliness and rightly so. Of course they would be confronted with their own problems with separating conviction from culture. In a similar vein, many of us would be shocked if we traveled back in time to the first century. We would be shocked to learn there were church members who drank wine and owned slaves.

The book of Acts and the "early church" is often touted as the ideal model for church. But a cursory reading of the NT will reveal that the early church had the same problems we do: Idolatry, drunkenness, fornication, covetousness, division, gossip, false teachers, church bullies.

I think we sometimes forget that we have the same Holy Spirit that lived in Peter, James, John, and the Apostle Paul. The book of Acts has no benediction.
Acts Enthusiast
1/5/19 12:04 pm

Post Link
Da Sheik wrote:
We would be shocked to learn there were church members who drank wine and owned slaves.

But we shouldn't be if we studied our Bibles.
1/5/19 10:22 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic