Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

I have great friends who are co-pastors of churches...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post I have great friends who are co-pastors of churches... roughridercog
And they do remendous ministry, but I have to ask a polity question.

Is our church government set up for co-pastors and who makes the final decision if there is a disagreement about what to do? Or can they be co-pastor in name only while one must have the position of senior pastor?
1/2/19 9:08 am

Post My wife and i are co pastors of our church Dunamis007
That said, she has credentials and a portfolio of responsibility. We are not cog. But technically I am the lead/sr. Pastor who is chairman of the official board and i have a vote while she does not. So, while we operate as co-pastors, as far as govt. goes we are not. (But you'd best believe she has input on important decisions Wink ). Member
1/2/19 9:32 am

Post Re: My wife and i are co pastors of our church roughridercog
Dunamis007 wrote:
That said, she has credentials and a portfolio of responsibility. We are not cog. But technically I am the lead/sr. Pastor who is chairman of the official board and i have a vote while she does not. So, while we operate as co-pastors, as far as govt. goes we are not. (But you'd best believe she has input on important decisions Wink ).

That is great. But for sake of discussion, I am asking for clarity within the polity of the Church of God. Is there provision for it in our polity or does it need to be addressed?
What about co-pastors who not a married couple such as two brothers, father-son, just two ministers? Could it create a polity problem?
1/2/19 9:36 am

Post Re: I have great friends who are co-pastors of churches... Quiet Wyatt
roughridercog wrote:

Is our church government set up for co-pastors and who makes the final decision if there is a disagreement about what to do? Or can they be co-pastor in name only while one must have the position of senior pastor?

I don’t see how that (two perfectly equal co-pastors of one congregation) would work in the CoG, or in any other form of polity, either, really. I don’t think the CoG Minutes provide for co-pastoring, if by that you mean anything more than a husband-and-wife team that works together. Even that would not technically be co-pastoring, if you mean equal power sharing. It seems to be a kind of trend recently for husband-and-wife teams to be referred to as co-pastors, or at least as “Pastors Joe and Mary Smith” on the marquee. But when it comes down to it, they are not exactly coequal.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/2/19 11:08 am

Post Re: I have great friends who are co-pastors of churches... roughridercog
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
roughridercog wrote:

I don’t see how that (two perfectly equal co-pastors of one congregation) would work in the CoG, or in any other form of polity, either, really. I don’t think the CoG Minutes provide for co-pastoring, if by that you mean anything more than a husband-and-wife team that works together. Even that would not technically be co-pastoring, if you mean equal power sharing. It seems to be a kind of trend recently for husband-and-wife teams to be referred to as co-pastors, or at least as “Pastors Joe and Mary Smith” on the marquee. But when it comes down to it, they are not exactly coequal.

One can't help but wonder how many problems it creates.
1/2/19 1:31 pm

Post Cojak
When I see it at COG churches, I think of it as 'In name only'. I think QW said it a Trendy thing, I agree.

But in reality, if they are actually co-pastors which would indicate 'equal status' not assistant, etc. Yes it could cause problems if both were a little head strong.... Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/2/19 7:57 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic