Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

What are your 2019 predictions?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post What are your 2019 predictions? Eddie Robbins
How about one politics, one sports, one COG and one of your choice....

A Republican announces a challenge to Trump in the primaries.

The Braves win the World Series

Serious talks begin concerning a COG/COGOP merger.

I will run 1000 miles for the 10th year in a row.
Acts-pert Poster
12/30/18 3:24 pm

Post My Predictions FG Minister
1. Donald Trump will call someone a name and the press will report it as "breaking news."

2. The Green Bay Packers will hire Aaron Rodgers as Head Coach and QB.

3. Dennis McGuire will make a comeback.

4. More churches will center around a charismatic pastor and less around the Lord Jesus Christ.
Acts-celerater
12/30/18 4:44 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
1) Donald Trump will be impeached, potentially more than once, but not removed

2) The Orioles will lose fewer than 100 games

3) Someone will say I have no right to be an admin here because I no longer attend a COG

4) I'll lose 100 lbs (the only prediction I care about!)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/30/18 5:05 pm

Post Re: What are your 2019 predictions? FLRon
Eddie Robbins wrote:

*The GOP becomes even more irrelevant than they currently are

* The Ohio State Buckeyes will continue their dominance of TTUN

* The COG will continue to lose congregations to independent works

* I will spend far less time on social media and far more time in the Word
12/30/18 5:49 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Dave Dorsey wrote:
1) Donald Trump will be impeached, potentially more than once, but not removed

2) The Orioles will lose fewer than 100 games

3) Someone will say I have no right to be an admin here because I no longer attend a COG

4) I'll lose 100 lbs (the only prediction I care about!)

Congrats on the decision to lose weight! If there’s anything I can do to help, let me know!
Acts-pert Poster
12/30/18 6:35 pm

Post Stinkin Cheese2
1) Trump is impeached but not removed. There will be an assassination attempt on his life.

2) The Cincinnati Reds stun the baseball world.

3) There will be many established COG pastors leaving the denomination and a scandal will break out within the denomination that shakes things up.
1/3/19 10:59 am

Post Resident Skeptic
1) The indictment of Hillary, Comey and others causes Trump impeachment hype to fizzle out.

2) Border wall/barrier built with or without Congressional approval.

3) Both Romney and Bernie hint at independent Presidential bids.

4) Naval standoff over Taiwan as Beijing becomes more desperate. Chicoms back down and lose face. Nationwide protests in mainland China.

5) Assassination attempt against Rush Limbaugh.
1/3/19 1:38 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Resident Skeptic wrote:
1) The indictment of Hillary, Comey and others causes Trump impeachment hype to fizzle out.

Serious question - how much stock (if any) do you put in "Q" and QAnon?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/3/19 1:45 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

ZERO. I believe that is all a silly distraction.
1/3/19 2:08 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Prediction:

Pain. (said in Clubber Lang voice)
1/3/19 4:21 pm

Post Da Sheik
Dave Dorsey wrote:

None ! There are a few in our church that spend every waking hour posting about Q on FB. None of Q’s predictions ever come true or they are cleverly reinterpreted after said “event” fails to come to fruition.
Acts Enthusiast
1/3/19 5:20 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Da Sheik wrote:
or they are cleverly reinterpreted after said “event” fails to come to fruition.

Reinterpreted, yes. I'm going to have to take issue with "cleverly" though. Laughing
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/3/19 6:15 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Da Sheik wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:

None ! There are a few in our church that spend every waking hour posting about Q on FB. None of Q’s predictions ever come true or they are cleverly reinterpreted after said “event” fails to come to fruition.

Total scam.
1/3/19 6:20 pm

Post Cojak

1. Mueller's final report will be more accusations or hints of wrong doing. AS a basis the impeachment crowd will push to impeach, but will fail.
2. Soccer will continue to gain converts and replace NFL (I could be wrong on that!)
3. A more concerted effort will be made for the COG to become more congregational. Me leading the charge with 3 people behind me, will fail!
4. At 80 yrs old, the USMC will forgive my affairs with the USAF, COG & USN and recall me as a DI on Pleasure Island!

As I continue to dream........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
1/3/19 6:51 pm

Post Re: What are your 2019 predictions? Mat
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Concerning serious talks for the merger of COG/COGOP - As a fourth generation COGOP pastor, I'm ready to see this. Not because I will gain anything, I'm a 63 year old pastor who is nearing his retirement, rather, for the sake of Christian reconciliation and witness. For this sake, I am willing to see the end of the COGOP and the reuniting of its members and ministers with the COG.

I'm not worried about those in the COGOP who have position, they can retire or pastor (good pastors are always needed). For our younger ministers, the combination would offer more opportunities than the two separates organizations. There were be cost savings in administration and greater resources for missions.

The question to me is, are the COG folks willing to accept back the COGOP without condemnation? I can say that there are many in the COGOP who see no need for the separation, including descendants of the Tomlinson family.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
1/4/19 11:57 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Mat, please forgive my ignorance here. I could probably look this stuff up, but it's easier to just ask. Smile

Are there any doctrinal differences between the COG and COGOP, even on second-order or third-order issues? Or is it all just drama going back to the Tomlinson stuff?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/4/19 12:00 pm

Post Mat
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Mat, please forgive my ignorance here. I could probably look this stuff up, but it's easier to just ask. Smile

Are there any doctrinal differences between the COG and COGOP, even on second-order or third-order issues? Or is it all just drama going back to the Tomlinson stuff?

If you were to ask this question 30 years ago, I would say there were many differences. Today, it has to do with government structure, but I think the COG has the right idea with votes and limits. Concerning Sanctification - we have "open up" to a preach it as you wish (Second Deficient or Finished Work), if you preach it at all.

We have come into alignment on issues such as the nature of the "Church" and membership requirements. The "fly in the ointment" is heritage and take on history.

As to the AJT issues, there are many in the COG who have come to understand it as a struggle for leadership, which continues in both organizations today in various degrees.

I'll be glad, on behalf of the Tomlinson family, to forgive you folks for all the times you took him to court, if you folks will accept us back and say some nice things about his leadership. Then we all can join together and complain about the current leadership. Very Happy

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
1/4/19 12:20 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Thanks for the explanation, Mat. Interesting stuff. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
1/4/19 12:21 pm

Post Re: What are your 2019 predictions? Nature Boy Florida
Mat wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Concerning serious talks for the merger of COG/COGOP - As a fourth generation COGOP pastor, I'm ready to see this. Not because I will gain anything, I'm a 63 year old pastor who is nearing his retirement, rather, for the sake of Christian reconciliation and witness. For this sake, I am willing to see the end of the COGOP and the reuniting of its members and ministers with the COG.

I'm not worried about those in the COGOP who have position, they can retire or pastor (good pastors are always needed). For our younger ministers, the combination would offer more opportunities than the two separates organizations. There were be cost savings in administration and greater resources for missions.

The question to me is, are the COG folks willing to accept back the COGOP without condemnation? I can say that there are many in the COGOP who see no need for the separation, including descendants of the Tomlinson family.

Mat

I think all COG folks would accept you back gladly. We have the same roots and believe the same things.

At worst, we see Tomlinson as one that couldn't let go of his control of all aspects of the denomination... even though it clearly was too much for one man anymore - and some mistakes had been made - albeit probably honest mistakes due to a work overload.

At best - we see it as mostly a political disagreement that no one knew how to de-escalate at the time.

Tomlinson had indeed navigated the church through some very difficult times and should be lauded for that accomplishment.

Was there a good way to tell a man that his G.O. position for life needed to come to an end?

And - just as difficult - how do you tell 50% of the administrators of the newly combined COG/COGOP that their services in Cleveland are no longer required? I just don't see no one going easily. And the larger denomination (COG) will undoubtedly favor their "sons" for all future positions. How does the COGOP leadership let that go?
1/4/19 1:33 pm

Post Re: What are your 2019 predictions? Mat
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Mat wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Mat

I think all COG folks would accept you back gladly. We have the same roots and believe the same things.

At worst, we see Tomlinson as one that couldn't let go of his control of all aspects of the denomination... even though it clearly was too much for one man anymore - and some mistakes had been made - albeit probably honest mistakes due to a work overload.

At best - we see it as mostly a political disagreement that no one knew how to de-escalate at the time.

Tomlinson had indeed navigated the church through some very difficult times and should be lauded for that accomplishment.

Was there a good way to tell a man that his G.O. position for life needed to come to an end?

And - just as difficult - how do you tell 50% of the administrators of the newly combined COG/COGOP that their services in Cleveland are no longer required? I just don't see no one going easily. And the larger denomination (COG) will undoubtedly favor their "sons" for all future positions. How does the COGOP leadership let that go?

I feel better all ready Nature Boy. As to those working in Cleveland, as I said, many of the COGOP officials are near retirement or can go do the most important job of all - pastor a local church. I do not see the COG employees or officials stepping down, rather I would hope that consideration be given the hourly workers and support staff at the COGOP International Offices.

It can be done, but not with those in Cleveland bargaining for positions and credit. At least the COG has term limits, so within ten years there would be a turn over anyway. If COG accepts the COGOP Bishops with full voting rights from the get go, I think that's fair enough. There is one problem - our women vote on all matters in the assembly, but next COG assembly I think you guys are going to "iron-out" the ordained women having a vote in the counsel, and maybe even holding positions in the 18 (is it still 18?) and the top five, plus ministry department directors (as the angel said to Mary, "all things are possible with God").

Back to those serving in leadership roles in the COGOP (at the International Offices and as Overseers), I have seen them "drop" a pastor from his church or employee from their job for much less a cause then Christian unity and reconciliation. So they need to be examples to the membership and be willing to sacrifice as they have asked others to do.

Again, the problem is at the top. There is much "lip-service" to the issue, but little concrete action. I can promise you, the COGOP membership no longer supports their leadership in the same way they did the Tomlinsons. Oddly enough, it was the leadership who pointed out the failures of the Tomlinsons, so now we will give them a chance to show us how submit.

Mat

PS Did you know that AJT resigned once at the General Assembly a couple of years before the events of 1923? He resigned, left the stage and walked home. Some of those same people who said it was the Holy Ghost putting him in to office for life in the first place, went to his house and asked him to come back. A couple of years later they felt differently. I don't think it was the Holy Spirit in the first place that said he was General Overseer for life. Tomlinson had invested to much of his life and family into the work and that clouded his thinking.
Acts Enthusiast
1/4/19 2:28 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic