Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

The calling

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post The calling Cojak
I commented on the Illinois post with this comment, but I thought this subject needed its own post:

There is a 'hometown' 'Home State' or even a 'home area' mentality in 'normal' humans. I did not have a 'hometown' but my wife did. Not many people 'join' the military for that very reason, they cannot leave home.
In my youth, since I did not have a home town I joined the military and gladly went where thy sent me. I enjoyed leave to see my parents.

Today even most preachers kids have a home town. And it is hard to break that hometown 'thing'. They cannot live more than a days drive from their home. My wife followed me, but ALWAYS wanted to go back to her hometown area.

Even having no hometown, I had a girlfriend who had a hometown. And this 'grown' 17 yr old laid awake some nights the first couple weeks on Parris Island hoping I would wake up and it all be a bad dream. hahahahaha

Since It seems that preaching/pastoring has become an occupation or 'a calling' (for certain areas) I am guessing there will be a 'few' really called to go where they are needed, but mostly the pastors will have to be home grown.

I don't like it, but I think that is going to eventually be the answer. This last two generations of families have raised 'mama's sons and daughters' who cannot HEAR the 'Call of the wild'. I always thought of it as an adventure, but I am not sure many hear that call anymore. Crying or Very sad
jacsher@aol.com
http://shipslog-jack.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Cojak on 12/24/18 1:24 am; edited 2 times in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/24/18 12:40 am

Post Cojak
ME? In my early life I was in the USAF. I was assigned to the Crash boats at Keesler AFB. We were blessed to join the Biloxi COG in Mississippi. For COG military men and women there is nothing like a COG near the base. Our pastor was Charlie Hugh Matthews (later to be a missionary). The COG is family (or was). My dad called Brother Matthews to inform him I was being transferred there. Bro Matthews, took the ball and helped us find an apartment. That church was the most blessed place we have ever attended.

WE met some of the most wonderful people. Bill Waters plus a couple church leaders sons came thru there, wonderful people. Many ordinary COG boys in the AF for training. Fred Brannen was my trailer park neighbor (later to be a missionary and overseer of Africa) We talked often. Fred did not own a car, but rode a bicycle. He had a key to my car and used it when needed. Fred felt the call to the ministry there and I THOUGHT I did.

Long story short. I think many people who say they are called to the ministry are as mistaken as I. I do not think someone truly called to the ministry is tied to one particular geographic area, but in His hands as to where HE needs you.

Some people believe you need to 'Bloom where you are planted'. That maybe true. But I honestly think many men and women who feel a strong desire to work for our Lord are confused like me. They mean well but are mislead. Just like me, many preachers today would,have made some pastor a great church leader or Sunday School teacher, but are out of their league trying to pastor and counsel God's people.

Do you know you are called? Confused [/list]
12/24/18 1:10 am

Post Preacher777
You make some great points Cojak. One has to continually pray for the strength to live with an eternal perspective rather than letting the flesh and soulish realm choose the benefits of this life. As the WWII generation who understood delayed rather than instant gratification we must fight not to get caught in the flow of what flesh wants now rather than walking in the spirit.

Last edited by Preacher777 on 12/24/18 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
12/24/18 8:15 am

Post Patrick Harris
There still some who obey that call even if it's outside their "hometown".

I have a dear friend, more like my brother, who was licensed by another denomination and sent to an area of NC he felt strongly called to go to. When circumstances changed in that church and he was told by the State Overseer that he would be moved to another area of the state much farther away, he politely but firmly told the Overseer that he had been called to that area and that he was staying there.

He's still there today, pastoring a church he built from the ground up and not with that denomination. As a note: He didn't steal any members from the other church either.

His hometown is actually about as far away from where he is and still be in the same state as you can get.
Acts Enthusiast
12/24/18 9:13 am

Post There are still young men and women going wherever the Lord will lead! Brandon Bohannon
Very Happy

My dad's dad pastored for 38+ years in one church in West Texas but before that he served as an evangelism director and before that he pastored multiple churches in Texas and Oklahoma. He married my grandmother, the daughter of a long-time Texas COG pastor and preacher, Tom White.

My mom's dad pastored across the state of Texas but before that was an Iowa-born boy that joined the USAF and served his country, eventually being stationed in Texas where he met and married my grandmother, who's brother was a long-time Texas COG pastor and preacher, WO Watwood. Brother Watwood pastored my dad's dad and pushed him out into ministry.

My grandfathers were longtime Texas pastors and preachers, Bob Bohannon and FM Small.

My dad pastored 7 different congregations in 7 different towns and cities across the massive state of Texas. Pastoring West Texas is as similar to pastoring East Texas, or North Texas to South Texas as it is to pastor in Arizona to Alabama. The geography and the people are very, very varied and different. He also served on staff for 25+ years in West Texas and twice in Detroit Michigan. My dad learned a lot at West Coast College.

I was born in the tiny town of Quannah, Texas, near the Oklahoma state line and my parents travelled as evangelists while I was a baby.

My mom and dad are Steve and Sherri Bohannon.

My wife and I began "occupational ministry" over 18 years ago in New Jersey at the Spotswood COG as youth pastors. My wife became the state secretary for the NJCOG State Offices. We were there for 3 years. We then moved to Griffin, GA where we served as Pastors of Student Ministries, interim Worship Pastors and produced/directed the church's annual Christmas productions. We were there for 8 years and had our two children while there. During these 11 years on the East Coast both sets of parents lived in West Texas. We maybe saw them 1-2 times per year. Phones weren't like they are now with FaceTime, etc. We took a church in Texas that was 4 1/2 hours from "home" and for the first time in 12 years, I saw my mom on Mother's Day. She was my guest speaker. Cool We were there for 6 1/2 years. We now saw our parents 2-4 times per year. We took a church 4 1/2 hours from "home" in a different direction 1 1/2 years ago. My parents are moving 20 minutes away and will attend our church. I will pastor my mom and dad. Life has somewhat come full circle, as they pastored me for most of the first several years of my life BUT not in our "home town".

One of my cousins, born in West Texas, is planting a COG in Nashville, TN.

We've been raised and taught to go wherever the Lord leads us. I could share more but feel like this is already too long. Just wanted to encourage you that there are still those in our movement that have that pioneering spirit. Finally, our last two General Overseers are/were Texans Cool maybe we just need a few more Texans and West Coasters in the COG?
Proverbs 3:5-6; John 13:34-35; Acts 1:8
Acts-celerater
12/24/18 3:54 pm

Post Cojak
Oh yes, I know there are many that GO where ever they feel called. When I made this post I was seeing what Dean said about making known that there were opportunities where he was on the West Coast and had made it known at Lee. They got no responses. He said someone mentioned if the offer had been presented for something on the East Coast he would have been flooded with applicants. I firmly believe that is correct.

Lately I have met a pastor from a fellowship. He left a job as a licensed general contractor working as construction manager for two shopping centers in Cape Cod to plant a church in Deltona Florida. He works as a plumber here. The church runs 30-40 it looks like. He has been here 5 years. Having known him only a month now, it is easy to tell he has not lost his zeal to make disciples.

So yes I know it does happen, but not on the level it once did. There was a time it was more like the calling a missionary feels and they leave all to do the work of the Lord,. Cool Cool
12/24/18 6:55 pm

Post Cojak... Aaron Scott
I wonder if some folks are called to a LIFETIME of pastoral ministry...while others may serve as pastors, but really serve in a way more akin to the office of Helps?

That is, there is a need for a pastor, and they fill that need until another assignment is given to them by the Lord.

I have wondered also if "serial pastors"--I'm not sure that is a term, but by it I mean men of God who either start or helm a church, staying for perhaps only a year or two before handing it off to someone who has a longer time horizon--are a tool in God's toolbox for certain situations?

It sure seems like there are (at least) two distinct camps of pastors: Those who go and stay for no less than, maybe, seven years (or even stay for DECADES)...and those who have a much shorter turn-around.

It is easy to argue that the long-terms are "real pastors," while the others are trying to find their way, or find the church they are actually supposed to serve at. However, I am not convinced those things are the full story. There are just some men/women who can come in with great energy and effect, getting a church up and running, or holding it together, or weathering a storm...and then there are those men and women who seem gifted to disciple, to build up, to develop, to have long-range vision/goals.

I remember in Richard Nixon's book "Leaders," he mentioned that some leaders are best in times of war, but are not what the people are looking for in times of peace. Likewise, the Native Americans had "war chiefs" who led the tribe during times of war, but did not lead during times of peace.

Although I cannot speak for how you feel about your "calling" in the past, I am convinced that God has used you over and over to bring encouragement, to generate excitement, etc. It MAY be the case that you are thinking of "pastoring" as a calling that is for a lifetime, rather than for a season--that is, you may have been serving as a pastor, but under your gifting in HELPS (planting a church, keeping it going until it got its footing, etc.).

I have trouble thinking you totally missed it by becoming a pastor. It just may be that you were serving as a help rather than as a formal pastor (which, I think, often has a longer time frame).

Just my thoughts. I'm not making a doctrine out of it. I just have to think that you did well as a pastor because God blessed you. If you ran aground for some reason, it MIGHT be that it was at least partially caused by a imperfect understanding of what you were called to do. Maybe?

I know that while I feel called to serve the church in whatever capacity I can, I don't feel like I am even remotely in the league of men who serve for decades and do so successfully. It may be that I'm just palliative care...or perhaps a place-holder until someone arrives who has the gift to truly do a great job...or perhaps I'm just someone who, there being no one else wanting the job, got called in as a last resort.

In any case, as Paul, I thank God that He found me faithful and put in the ministry.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/25/18 8:44 pm

Post Re: Cojak... Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
I wonder if some folks are called to a LIFETIME of pastoral ministry...while others may serve as pastors, but really serve in a way more akin to the office of Helps?

That is, there is a need for a pastor, and they fill that need until another assignment is given to them by the Lord. ...
In any case, as Paul, I thank God that He found me faithful and put in the ministry.

Aaron, I do appreciate the words and there maybe solid foundation for that line of thought. It is impossible to roll back time for ministers today to see the narrow views of the COG concerning preachers. During my early life there were two distinct preaching ministries in the COG, Pastors and Evangelists. When a pastor stayed few months or a year or so consistently, he was considered a failure. A pastor's tenure was normally 3-4 years, that was fine, then the overseer moved him.

My case, I was a builder, self taught. It seemed when the nails were all driven I was through. Except the last church, which I planted. It went great, was growing and still is a great church. BUT this young man wanted more, I wanted to see miracles etc.......
Anyway after my melt down, years later I came to the conclusion I was never called, and the 'he who puts his hands to the plow and turns back' ain't no good. I then asked God's forgiveness, received it and went into the youth ministry. God blessed me.

I do not blame anyone but me for misunderstanding. I pastored 3 churches in about 7 years. One has been sold, one is out of debt and struggling (as we left it), The plant is doing well, or was doing great ,until it split a few years ago. It is also debt free but down to about 60-80 in worship.

BAck in the 50-60s we kids needed some good guidance by wise men, it was probably there and I ignored or missed it.

Anyway, love you my brother and hope you and that lovely family had a great Christmas. Smile
12/25/18 9:17 pm

Post Cojak
Honestly from my heart, I do not know if I am called to the Youth Work, or I was just good at it. I have been blessed, successful and original.

There are many 'good motivational' speakers who can sell, impress and challenge people, they are talented but not necessarily called. Some of those people choose to become preachers and do great building crowds without a calling (JMHO).

There are people like Charles Conn and Vep Ellis who would have been successful somewhere, with or without a Calling. Please do not take me wrong, I believe both were called of God to work in His Vineyard.

I cried a little earlier this year. My sister passed away. Leaving one of our homes came empty. I had stored my Equipment in the basement. As I looked at it I realized at 80 yrs of age, I can no longer carry the 150lbs of drawing equipment and lights into a building, Set it up and tear it down. The antiquated system is built by me for me. The remotes known to my wife. LOL.
There will come a time when you cannot do what you used to do. It is hard to know when it is time to stop. Stopping before you make a fool of yourself.
One old friend of mine was preaching a while back in a large church and from the pulpit said, "The fools gave Sampson a hard time and he just whipped their A$$e$.

That said, there are times you know when to quit (I hope) or someone realizes you are a victim of Mr. Alzheimer and protect you from making a fool of yourself. Shocked
12/25/18 9:52 pm

Post My opinion roughridercog
Preachers have their comfort zones. If a person is saved in a geographic area, disciples, called, and credentialed in that certain area, all of his/her contacts and connections are likely to be in this area. What has gotten people out of the geographic areas in the past?
1. Desperation to pastor and no opportunity in the geographic area or they have damaged their reputation and need to go someplace to rebuild it. (For all too many years this was done in mission states.)
2. You ride the coat tails of a friend in administration and is on the way up. (Aw, don't tell me it was never done.)
3. You receive an appointment to a position or you are coming out of a position and headquarters tells thr AB of so and so state to not appoint someone to XYZ church because they have someone coming off the field and needing an appointment.

Now the tough question.
Have we created a system that discourages getting out of the geographical comfort zone? Laughing
12/26/18 2:22 pm

Post My opinion roughridercog
Preachers have their comfort zones. If a person is saved in a geographic area, disciples, called, and credentialed in that certain area, all of his/her contacts and connections are likely to be in this area. What has gotten people out of the geographic areas in the past?
1. Desperation to pastor and no opportunity in the geographic area or they have damaged their reputation and need to go someplace to rebuild it. (For all too many years this was done in mission states.)
2. You ride the coat tails of a friend in administration and is on the way up. (Aw, don't tell me it was never done.)
3. You receive an appointment to a position or you are coming out of a position and headquarters tells thr AB of so and so state to not appoint someone to XYZ church because they have someone coming off the field and needing an appointment.

Now the tough question.
Have we created a system that discourages getting out of the geographical comfort zone? Laughing
12/26/18 2:22 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I think the natural tendency of most is to stay close to home if possible. Growing up as a PK in the AG and the CG in the ‘70s and ‘80s, we moved, on average, every 2-1/2 years. Five different pastorates in Illinois, two in California, and one in Texas. I suppose growing up that way made me a wanderer, too, though I have been able to limit my family’s ministerial moves to an average of once every seven years, from Michigan to Florida to New Mexico.

When I was single, I moved several times for ministry opportunities. In retrospect, I think I had a sign on my back which said, “Kick Me, I’m Stupid.” I moved thousands of miles more than once on a promise of a “full time” ministry position which turned out to be not even close to full time compensation. Nevertheless, my wanderings did finally bring me to my wife, the best thing that ever happened to me besides Jesus.

I said all that to say I don’t know if “the call” necessarily always includes a willingness to travel to far-flung places, but each must find his or her way, as the Spirit leads. I would also say, “Don’t move on a mere promise. Get it in writing.”
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/26/18 2:54 pm

Post Re: My opinion Cojak
roughridercog wrote:

Now the tough question.

To the bold, yes we have.

#2 is true. I did it on a small scale. My dad was a friend of Bro Stallings the overseer of Missouri. I asked Bro Stallings If he had anything in Missouri, and he said yes, I assume that was because he knew my dad as a solid pastor. My dad did not ask for favors for me. That is why I went out of NC to seek a church. I know it happens on a much HIGHER scale. It should not.
BUT, BUT it is a natural activity in our Church as well as business. My grandson just got a job at an Airport because my son KNEW the man hiring.
Conversely I did not get a computer repair job once because the bosses nephew had applied.
I asked my pastor once why he hired family. His quick response was I can trust family and I can fire family much easily!
Made sense! Cool
12/26/18 9:47 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic