Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Major CoG Fire losses in California **Christmas UPDATE December 23rd**

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Major CoG Fire losses in California **Christmas UPDATE December 23rd** Dean Steenburgh
The update is another post on this thread, please scroll to the bottom.

Pray for us please.
Just had a meeting with AB Sean O'neil who tells me that the fires in Paradise, CA. have claimed the Jubilee Christian Center & the pastor's personal home.
This is a church of about 300 & over 90% of this beautiful foothill community is destroyed.
We're told that well over 100 homes of CoG members are gone & that number could go higher.
Other member's homes are severely destroyed & at least one member was killed in the blaze.
The town's population base is made up of a big retirement community.
This is a devastating blow to the Northern Calif. ministry as the Jubilee church was a hub of leadership.
State council has authorized seed money for relief & is asking any & all CoG churches to help if possible.
PB Tim Hill has sent over $20,000 to help & we have a truck taking supplies up there this coming Tuesday.
If anyone would like to offer help of any kind please make contact with the Calif/Nevada State Office at 559-322-0293.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?

Last edited by Dean Steenburgh on 12/23/18 3:45 pm; edited 5 times in total
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
11/11/18 12:28 am

Post Cojak
We have wondered about church effects concerning th fire. Sorry to hear this. I cannot call, but in the next day or two I hope something is set up for donations via internet.
Praying and very sorry about the loses. Crying or Very sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/11/18 11:03 pm

Post Re: Major CoG losses in California tryingtofitin
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
PB Tim Hill is sending $5,000 to help & we have a truck taking supplies up there this coming Tuesday..

If that is his personal donation, wonderful. If that is from the general office... pitiful.
Friendly Face
11/12/18 3:32 am

Post Re: Major CoG losses in California Cojak
tryingtofitin wrote:
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
PB Tim Hill is sending $5,000 to help & we have a truck taking supplies up there this coming Tuesday..

If that is his personal donation, wonderful. If that is from the general office... pitiful.

Imma give it just a few days, but TTFI, I sorta agree........ Embarassed Embarassed

I would love to see some wealthy person or even the church do a 'match' for every gift (within limits of course)....
11/12/18 11:16 am

Post Re: Major CoG losses in California krista
tryingtofitin wrote:
Dean Steenburgh wrote:

So if this did come from General, this would have been the first time the GH has helped a state or a particular Church?

You my friend, need an altar because in the face of what California IS going through, to show such arrogance and lack of compassion is outrageous.
You should be ashamed. Embarassed Embarassed
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
11/13/18 1:32 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
We went up as far as we could get yesterday & met with some of the pastors/ministers who are up in that area.
Our group took up 2 large box vans full of supplies like shampoo, tooth paste, blow-up mattresses, socks, towels, diapers, water & various food supplies etc.
Honestly we didn't even make a dent.
Dave Lorenzi is working with Pastor Fannin at Liberty Ministries CoG in Sacramento to send 3 semi truck loads which are supposedly en-route.
The pastor of our smaller church up there told me yesterday that 25 homes of members were 100% gone.
Pastor Grandy's congregation has lost at least 70 homes of members & counting.
All the police, ambulance, doctors, sheriff deputies, fire fighters, first responders homes are all gone ...even the hospital is gone.
Oddly the movie theater made it along with the bank & a few small office buildings.
Pastor Steve Grandy lost his home along with some other properties he had in the area.
2 of his 3 daughters lost their homes along with 7,500 other home losses in this town of less than 30,000 residents.

Chico, CA. is the town next to them where they recently opened up a satellite campus at one of our older CoG properties that was in need of repair. So the members of the Paradise church at least have a place to worship even though they have no place to stay while the Red Cross is trying to set up emergency housing.
The fire also has destroyed many un-incorporated villages, towns & communities where we had other ministry outlets but all are 100% destroyed.
Bishop Hill is sending $10,000 & 3 of the other EC members are sending additional funds I believe to total another $10,000.
Some of our Calif. churches have helped but all we can do at this point is try to help them in their emergency mode.
We gave them a couple thousand dollars in Walmart gift cards so they could hand them out to the members who have nothing left ...most don't even have a job to go back to.

PB Hill said something about asking all churches to try to mention this to their churches this Sunday to maybe gain some help for all of these hundreds of CoG members & ministers whose lives have been turned upside down.

If you can help please reach out to the Calif. State Office at 559-322-0293

What are you focused on?
11/14/18 3:50 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Since it began November 8, the fire has destroyed almost 14,000 homes, 514 businesses and 4,265 other buildings. It has covered more than 153,000 acres, roughly the size of Chicago.
Cal Fire, the state's forestry and fire protection agency, announced the blaze was completely contained early Sunday. That does not mean the fire is out. It indicates that a fire line has been cut around the entirety of the remaining blaze, preventing it from reaching trees and other fuel.
As of Saturday evening, the un-contained portion of the fire was along steep terrain unsafe for firefighters due to recent heavy rains, the agency said.

More than 2,500 people are now accounted for, according to the Butte County Sheriff's Office. While 249 people remain missing, the sheriff's office says, that number is down from more than 1,000 just a few days ago.
PB Hill was near the area last Sunday & brought financial aid to a former beautiful CoG church where over 100 member's homes & one elderly member were lost in the fire.
I wonder if any single CoG congregation has ever suffered such a loss.

Every form of support would be appreciated, thank you!

What are you focused on?
11/27/18 7:30 pm

Post Thank you for the update Mat
Thank you for the update.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
11/28/18 8:47 am

Post Re: Thank you for the update Cojak
Mat wrote:
Thank you for the update.

Mat

'Me too!'
I am very glad to hear the missing number is DOWN, but still terrible! Crying or Very sad
11/28/18 11:32 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Having lost my home to Hurricane Floyd in '99, I can't say enough good things about how the COG & Operation Compassion supported us (as members). They sent semis full of supplies/clothing, etc., for the communities affected and in the end, gave each of the members/families affected a generous check. Our church members supported us and literally took us in for 5 weeks to give us a roof over our heads. Now, they also have Men of Action and other teams that come to the place of disaster to help rebuild. I hope they do the same for those affected by the fire.

Losing your home and your place of worship is very devastating. Having our local church and our denomination stand behind us for weeks and months was very comforting. They truly showed their love in a very tangible way.

This may not be very present on the news/media, but please reach out to these folks if you can. It truly makes a difference.

Prayers for you & your CA family, Dean.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/5/18 2:38 am

Post Dean Steenburgh
Such extreme devastation still exist. Rain & light snow are hampering many efforts & they're still trying to account for the elderly who are still missing. 88 killed & almost 200 still missing, mostly elderly who had limited mobility.

3 CoG congregations for the most part on life support.
No jobs, no houses, schools, food, shopping, water, gas, electric, professional services and very limited access to get to your property in order to re-build.
We lost an amazing ministry that was making huge impact on people's lives in a trailer park of all places.
I have friends who lost everything up there and they're simply not going back.
I have a couple of friends whose homes survived & they're out of a place to live for a year or more because authorities wont let them in & even if they did they can't live there while there is no access to sustain life with resources.
Some are saying it will be years before the town will even begin to re-shape itself back into a sustaining community.
Operation Compassion has been there but the area is so limited with space that it's tough to find a place within reasonable driving distance to warehouse supplies that are needed so that families can gain access.
Pastor Steve Grandy & his lovely wife Sandy operate 2 churches in that area & Pastor Alfredo operates one church.
Please keep them in your prayers.

As a side note we're told that the Jubilee CoG, Pastor Grandy (whose new 700 seat sanctuary was under construction) will be able to finish the building debt free, but there are zero people who will live in the town for most likely a couple of years or more.
Please pray for California CoG families & Pastors.

What are you focused on?
12/16/18 11:59 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Thank you for the updates, Dean! I will continue to pray. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
12/16/18 1:24 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Short update:
Families are being allowed in to survey the destruction.
Hundreds met last night to plant a new tree in the center of the former town square & they decorated it while singing Christmas carols & hymns.
The whole town was once covered by thousands of beautiful mature evergreen trees of every kind, they grow quite well in the Sierra Nevada foothills.
Almost 200 are still listed as missing or presumed dead.
The CoG ministry from Paradise is currently being conducted in a nearby town about 10 miles away as best as they can.
So unfortunate to see this massive destruction & to know it will take a mighty tall order to get just some resemblance of a life back.
Prayers are appreciated!

What are you focused on?
12/23/18 3:51 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic