Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is it wrong to pray for the destruction of the wicked?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Is it wrong to pray for the destruction of the wicked? Quiet Wyatt
I must say, I have been praying for several years now that God would take Ruth Bader Ginsburg out of the picture. I’ve heard some say the imprecatory psalms are not fit for a Christian to sing or pray, but in Revelation, even the saints in Heaven pray that the wicked be judged. The same meek and lowly Christ who came to save, heal and deliver will some day soon destroy the wicked with fully righteous fury and wrath. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/8/18 12:07 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Pray for God’s will. Vengeance is His and not for us to worry about. We are called to love our enemies. Acts-pert Poster
11/8/18 12:19 pm

Post FLRon
Personally,I believe it's best to leave the destruction of the wicked to the Almighty. I'm of the opinion that any prayers offered should be that they find Jesus before departing this life and finding themselves in Hell for eternity.That would seem to be more Christ like than praying for their demise.
My 02¢
11/8/18 12:23 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Pray for God’s will. Vengeance is His and not for us to worry about. We are called to love our enemies.

Amen. Romans 15:14-21 is our call.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/8/18 12:29 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Praying, by definition, is certainly acknowledging that it is in the hands of the Almighty. If Christ himself will one day pour out His righteous indignation and wrath upon all unrepentant evildoers, the idea is shown to be absurd that it would be unChristlike to pray for Him to accomplish that judgment speedily. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/8/18 12:35 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Also, it should be noted that this is not an issue of personal vengeance as such. It is a completely benevolent prayer for the highest good for all, that righteousness would rule and that evil would be put down. It is not unlike praying that God would take out an Adolf Hitler or a Joseph Stalin, once they have passed the point of ever finding repentance. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/8/18 12:38 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Praying, by definition, is certainly acknowledging that it is in the hands of the Almighty. If Christ himself will one day pour out His righteous indignation and wrath upon all unrepentant evildoers, the idea is shown to be absurd that it would be unChristlike to pray for Him to accomplish that judgment speedily.

Is it absurd to pray like He taught us to pray?
Acts-pert Poster
11/8/18 3:03 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Praying, by definition, is certainly acknowledging that it is in the hands of the Almighty. If Christ himself will one day pour out His righteous indignation and wrath upon all unrepentant evildoers, the idea is shown to be absurd that it would be unChristlike to pray for Him to accomplish that judgment speedily.

Is it absurd to pray like He taught us to pray?

No, of course not. I pray that His kingdom come and His will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/8/18 3:10 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt... Aaron Scott
Quiet Wyatt,

I think most of us share your desire to change the Supreme Court, etc.

But surely there can be no greater "evil" or "wickedness" than for a city to not want Jesus to enter. Yet when the disciples asked whether Jesus would like them to call down fire from heaven...well, you know.

Also, surely no one could be more wicked than those who wanted Jesus crucified. Yet He prayed for the Father to forgive them. THEY might have thought they knew what they were doing. But I doubt that anyone (outside of Satan) would have WANTED to crucify Jesus if they had really understood that He was the Son of God.

It MIGHT be that despite RBG's immoral approach to certain moral/legal issues, she is doing it without full appreciation of just what she is doing.

While I do believe there are times when we should pray for someone to...die (say a Hitler), we know that there are sins that are not unto death. I would say that while we cannot be sure that it is right to pray for RBG's death, it is right to pray for her salvation.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
11/8/18 3:23 pm

Post UncleJD
I just pray for her retirement. I honestly don't want to see her suffer and I can't help but think there is nobody in her family or within her circle that cares about her health if they are not trying to convince her to retire for her own good. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/8/18 4:16 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
UncleJD wrote:
I just pray for her retirement. I honestly don't want to see her suffer and I can't help but think there is nobody in her family or within her circle that cares about her health if they are not trying to convince her to retire for her own good.

Retirement would be good too. In my prayer for God to remove her, I wasn’t hoping she would suffer any more than she deserves in this life or the next. I was just praying that her wicked influence be eliminated from this world.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/8/18 4:28 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Again, pray God’s will. He just may know more than we do about the situation. Acts-pert Poster
11/8/18 4:56 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
You have not because you ask not?
Are we not allowed to ask for specific things, are we to only ask for God's will?
11/8/18 6:27 pm

Post Cojak
He 'fixes' things many times with out 'WRATH or DEATH'. I am sure most of us have seen situations changed in ways we never considered. I had a grandchild in an abusive situation, I prayed. I felt like using a firearm, but prayed instead. HE fixed it. YES HIS will, but if we have an opinion, we can pray, He can ignore or let us see a smile when he fixes it.

Also I think many of the things I think of are OT examples, under the law. Some of the logic applies some doesn't.

But I am enjoying the points, I like the OP! Tis a thinker! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
11/8/18 11:52 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Are we not allowed to ask for specific things, are we to only ask for God's will?

Can I ask for a new wife? 😂

The fact is, I don’t understand prayer anyway. We pray for our country. Ok, what did that do? Does God wait until He has a certain number of prayers? Does He only answer one person’s prayer? Or, is He just going to do His will regardless? Prayer is a mystery.
Acts-pert Poster
11/9/18 7:48 am

Post UncleJD
Eddie Robbins wrote:

The fact is, I don’t understand prayer anyway. We pray for our country. Ok, what did that do? Does God wait until He has a certain number of prayers? Does He only answer one person’s prayer? Or, is He just going to do His will regardless? Prayer is a mystery.

Good post Eddie. I think, regardless of the outcome of the prayer, we pray to obey and to please God and He, in turn, comforts us regardless of what happens after, we put it in His hands (whether or not He sees fit to intervene). I'm not a Calvinist, so I don't believe that God's will is ALWAYS done in matters of man's free will, which I believe elected/democratic governments falls under. But I do believe that God can and does move on His people as a whole and if THEY obey (turn from their wicked ways, etc..), THEN His will can be accomplished, despite who is in power.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
11/9/18 9:36 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I am only one voice among billions. I obviously don’t always get exactly what I would prefer when I pray, but that doesn’t mean my prayer or your prayer is therefore totally inconsequential.

The prayer of a righteous person has great effectiveness. 17Elijah was a human being like us, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain and there was no rain on the land for three years and six months! 18Then he prayed again, and the sky gave rain and the land sprouted with a harvest. James 5:16b-18 NET
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/18 9:51 am

Post Maybe you can find your answer in this chapter Dunamis007
In 1 Cor 5, Paul rebukes the church for allowing a man who calls himself a brother but is sinning greatly to remain part of the Body. He goes so far to pray that this man would be stricken greatly in his flesh with the ultimate goal for him to repent and be reconciled to Christ. Paul also acknowledges that while we cannot judge those outside the body we can, we should judge sin in the body as we will one day judge fallen angels. My take is that pray RBG be saved and her eyes opened to the truth, but in the meantime or if that is not going to happen we can pray for her removal in whatever manner God might do it.
1 Cor. 5
1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, note

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: note

8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. note

9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.
11/9/18 10:15 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
He is still the God who kills and makes alive. Even in the New Testament, the Lord, who changes not, struck down and killed wicked people when He deemed it appropriate. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/9/18 10:25 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Eddie Robbins wrote:

Sure you can ask.

But - it might mean she will spend 50,000 on new parts and adornments to become new.

Be careful what you ask for.
11/9/18 10:46 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic