Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Your thoughts about teaching on the Old Covenant, Jesus, and the church

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Your thoughts about teaching on the Old Covenant, Jesus, and the church Preacher777
Recently I was talking to a friend about the judgement and wrath of God in the Old Covenant, how Jesus addressed sin with the Jewish people and the stern warnings to the 7 churches in Revelation. My friend who attends a Full Gospel church believes and has been taught that we should never mention the wrath of God or His judgement to a saved or unsaved person because Jesus took upon Himself all wrath and judgement. Therefore, our dispensation of grace allows us to be free from that talk or teaching since Jesus did away with wrath and judgement. The main scripture used for this teaching is John 3:17 (NAS): For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.
Therefore, judgement and wrath are done away with and should not be taught or preached. Another scripture used in this line of thinking is that the goodness of God draws men to repentance. Therefore, no messages or mentioning of hell when doing personal evangelism.

What are your thoughts on this teaching? Have you heard it? Is this an isolated teaching or if it is coming down from popular teachers which people or groups teach it?

Solid Bible teachings from men like A.W. Tozer, David Wilkerson and Leonard Ravenhill would contradict this line of thought. Billy Graham posted something on his website years ago stating that his wife Ruth said something to the effect that if God doesn't judge America for our moral decay he would need to apologiize to Old Testament cities.

Thoughts? Is this a popular or isolated teaching? I am NOT accusing the proponents of the seeker friendly believers of promoting this teaching but asking if this your (their) perception of cultural adaptation?
Friendly Face
10/29/18 7:41 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I think this is a doctrine of demons that is working to usher untold numbers of people into the jaws of Hell.

I do think it is a mostly isolated teaching. I also think it's dangerous to overemphasize judgment and wrath at the expense of minimizing the cross and what Christ has done, and I think it's dangerous and wrong to teach unsaved people that they must "clean themselves up" or do anything except believe and trust in Christ.

I think a right balance presents the reality of our sin and the reality of God's coming wrath and judgment against it, and then proclaims Christ and His work as the free gift of salvation from that judgment for all who believe.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/29/18 8:59 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Hypergrace teaching is one of the oldest lies in the book.

Gen. 3:4 The serpent said to the woman, “Surely you will not die, (New English Translation)
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/29/18 9:22 am

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
I also think it's dangerous to overemphasize judgment and wrath at the expense of minimizing the cross and what Christ has done, and I think it's dangerous and wrong to teach unsaved people that they must "clean themselves up" or do anything except believe and trust in Christ.

I think a right balance presents the reality of our sin and the reality of God's coming wrath and judgment against it, and then proclaims Christ and His work as the free gift of salvation from that judgment for all who believe.

This resonates with my heart.

HOWEVER I can understand the 'overzealous' Christian who KNOWS this person praying and believing WILL change their direction and CLEAN UP (as we see it) AND WE WANT TO HELP in the process before they FORGET! Or something to that affect.

Anyway that in red speaks to me. Thanks DD Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/29/18 10:13 am

Post Preacher777
[quote="Dave Dorsey"]I think this is a doctrine of demons that is working to usher untold numbers of people into the jaws of Hell.

I do think it is a mostly isolated teaching. I also think it's dangerous to overemphasize judgment and wrath at the expense of minimizing the cross and what Christ has done, and I think it's dangerous and wrong to teach unsaved people that they must "clean themselves up" or do anything except believe and trust in Christ.

I think a right balance presents the reality of our sin and the reality of God's coming wrath and judgment against it, and then proclaims Christ and His work as the free gift of salvation from that judgment for all who believe.[/quote]

Dave, great points about balance and overemphasizing judgement and wrath while minimizing the cross and making sinners feel they need to clean themselves up in their own strength before coming to Christ. I appreciate the excellent points from you, Cojak and Quiet Wyatt.
Friendly Face
10/29/18 10:55 am

Post diakoneo
Quote:
My friend who attends a Full Gospel church

It seems there would be no need for good news if there was not some bad news to begin with.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/29/18 9:43 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic