Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Dimensions of Leadership by Charles Conn (V)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dimensions of Leadership by Charles Conn (V) Eddie Robbins
I believe you will enjoy his discussion as he goes into some COG history.

https://youtu.be/uKFz4UOj0FY
Acts-pert Poster
10/23/18 3:03 pm

Post Watched the video Mat
Eddie,

I watched the video, found it interesting, and learned a couple of things about Church of God history. I not sure I agree totally with Charles Conn's assessment of A. J. Tomlinson having just a "regional" influence or vision. It seems he had a global perspective that reached beyond the Southeastern culture. I think before the split in 1923 there were works outside the south, and more importantly AJT had a more inclusive racial vision than most southern, which included appointing black (both African-American and Caribbean) leadership.

As I said, it was an interesting video, and I learned about some folks and some details I had not heard before. For the sake of understand the expansion of the COG from its genesis, it was instructive.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/25/18 8:40 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I’ll go back and listen to that part again, but, I don’t think this was meant to be a history lesson but just pointing out the leadership styles and giving AJT the credit for having the original vision for expanding the COG. I do trust the accuracy of my Father-in-Law in his historical accuracy in LAMA. He was a stickler about being accurate and thought he knew things that he would never write because he couldn’t get more than one verification. Again, I don’t think this was meant to be a history lesson but a call to leadership for the future. Acts-pert Poster
10/25/18 12:24 pm

Post Original Vision Mat
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I’ll go back and listen to that part again, but, I don’t think this was meant to be a history lesson but just pointing out the leadership styles and giving AJT the credit for having the original vision for expanding the COG. I do trust the accuracy of my Father-in-Law in his historical accuracy in LAMA. He was a stickler about being accurate and thought he knew things that he would never write because he couldn’t get more than one verification. Again, I don’t think this was meant to be a history lesson but a call to leadership for the future.

I'm not sure AJT had the original vision, as he was greatly influenced by the Spurlings and the nature of the Holiness Church at Camp Creek. That said, once he was convinced (by the Spirit or by the spiritual elders) he seems to have the calling that equipped him to see well beyond Camp Creek, NC. It does not seem AJT came to the mountains with the ministry goal of going beyond the mountains, but his mission was radically changed.

How many editions of LAMA did Charles Conn participate in (I think there are four now)?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/25/18 1:16 pm

Post Re: Original Vision Eddie Robbins
Mat wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I’ll go back and listen to that part again, but, I don’t think this was meant to be a history lesson but just pointing out the leadership styles and giving AJT the credit for having the original vision for expanding the COG. I do trust the accuracy of my Father-in-Law in his historical accuracy in LAMA. He was a stickler about being accurate and thought he knew things that he would never write because he couldn’t get more than one verification. Again, I don’t think this was meant to be a history lesson but a call to leadership for the future.

I'm not sure AJT had the original vision, as he was greatly influenced by the Spurlings and the nature of the Holiness Church at Camp Creek. That said, once he was convinced (by the Spirit or by the spiritual elders) he seems to have the calling that equipped him to see well beyond Camp Creek, NC. It does not seem AJT came to the mountains with the ministry goal of going beyond the mountains, but his mission was radically changed.

How many editions of LAMA did Charles Conn participate in (I think there are four now)?

Mat

He wrote the book. There have been updates that included recent history but it’s his book.
Acts-pert Poster
10/25/18 2:36 pm

Post The First Edition Mat
Eddie,

The truth is, the only edition I have read of LAMA is the First Edition. As I understand it, from those who have read the newer editions, the characterization of AJT (as well as the events of 1923 and the relationship between COG and COGOP) has changed with each edition. I was just wondering how much of that change came from Charles Conn. There have been some who have said to me that as a Lee student or facility, questioning Conn's First Edition in the past could have negative consequences on your grades or career. So I'm just wondering about the involvement of Conn on subsequent editions and if any editions have been published after he passed away?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/26/18 8:26 am

Post Eddie Robbins
I’m not aware of any unfairness by my father-in-law. So, I can’t respond to your general accusation without there being specifics. It’s really not fair to throw out an accusation like that with no way to rebut because the man is dead. Anyway, the whole point of this post was for people to hear the video. Acts-pert Poster
10/27/18 8:04 am

Post What aspect of my comments ... Mat
Eddie Robbins wrote:
I’m not aware of any unfairness by my father-in-law. So, I can’t respond to your general accusation without there being specifics. It’s really not fair to throw out an accusation like that with no way to rebut because the man is dead. Anyway, the whole point of this post was for people to hear the video.

Eddie,

Perhaps the comments about the Lee students and faculty was a generalization based on hearsay, and that could be deemed unfair, unless specific situations were addressed.

As to the changing nature of LAMA from the first edition to the forth(?), a comparative study might be interesting. Just as authors write about other peoples lives, I feel it does no injustice to examine the influences and evolution of the authors. I would even say it is a scholarly endeavor and would give us greater insight to the context in which they wrote.

I understand you readiness as it is your family by marriage, but as one who has seen his family "under the scalp" of researchers and writers, such examination can contribute and often have positive outcomes. I have also learned, you can't stop'em so you might as well join'em.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/27/18 8:32 am

Post Travis Johnson
The truly powerful piece about this audio is Charles Conn’s editorial on the types of dimensions of leadership found in the COG. His forward looking optimism is powerful, encouraging. Acts-dicted
10/27/18 12:59 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic