Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Deleted

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Deleted Waambulance Man
deleted

Last edited by Waambulance Man on 10/15/18 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hey, DOC
10/14/18 11:59 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Quote:
Twice I went to AB's with a plan to start a church in a city in that general area where there is no COG and it is a sizeable city. I was told that if I did, I did so wiithout the COG and would surrender my credentials.

That makes no sense at all. There has to be more to this story.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/15/18 12:10 am

Post Waambulance Man
Yeah, because everyone knows that everything COG AB's do always makes sense. Rolling Eyes Hey, DOC
10/15/18 12:16 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Waambulance Man wrote:
Yeah, because everyone knows that everything COG AB's do always makes sense. :roll:

Why would you lose your credentials for planting a church in a city where there is no CoG? That makes no sense at all. It really doesn’t.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/15/18 12:24 am

Post Carolyn Smith
I am not one to encourage anyone to leave the denomination, but my advice would be to know for sure you have heard the heart of God on this matter before you make such a decision. Fully count the cost of leaving the denomination. Are you willing to lose friends and relationships and the backing of the COG?

I am sure there is more to the story, but it seems odd that more than one AB would be against such a move. Not saying it's not true, but wondering why the state would try to hinder it.

I sense frustration on your part and would caution you not to make an emotional decision. If you fully believe this is where the Lord wants you, listen to Him and ask Him to make it clear. When you know His will for certain, follow Him.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/15/18 6:01 am

Post Considering its ... Mat
Considering its "Pastor Appreciation Month" and taking in to mind the theme of this thread, I have a few words of advise for young people who are called to pastoral ministry.

1 - Don't go "out" to soon - even Jesus waited to start his public ministry at about age 30.
2 - Commit to a local church where you can teach a class or lead a group on a weekly basis - one survey said most new pastors come from churches of less than 100 in attendance. Mega churches are like going to Disneyland, the rides are great, but the paid staff run them.
3 - Your education should be focused on a profession (other than ministry) or a trade you can always work at. You will have plenty of opportunities to study the Bible and ministry, but don't discount the importance of being able to do something outside of filling a pulpit. Be cautious about student loan debt and spending you education money on non-accredited schools or seminars.
4 - Don't move far from family - again, even Jesus had his ministry base where his family was. Many of the great churches of today are family enterprises, and when you need help, you can only count on family.
5 - Don't put you ministry in the hands of someone else. You, and you alone are accountable for your calling.
6 - Don't start or accept a church where you don't feel called - if you feel called to a city or area, go, even if you have to be independent, but whatever you do, don't go if you don't feel led just because the overseer thinks you need to go.
7 - You must provide you benefits for you and your family - don't think the local church or denomination is going to take care of you.
8 - If you're going to be part of a denomination know what you're getting into. Details like the authority of those over you, the financial requirements placed on you and your church, the retirement system and the reporting system are issues you should understand before you commit. If you don't want to be independent, shop denominations - there are a range of organizations to choose from.
9 - Have an exit vision - think about retirement and what that will look like - plan to step aside for the next generation and enjoy your old age.
10 - If you, or your family, becomes bitter about ministry, reread number three. Listen, if God's not in it, why should you be?

One last thought, personalize your local churches missions. It is better to have one or two missionaries you support, who will faithfully send you reports and can visit your local church on a regular basis (at least once a year).

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/15/18 9:59 am

Post sheepdogandy
Great advice! Very Happy

www.spwc.church
10/15/18 10:43 am

Post Waambulance Man
deleted

Last edited by Waambulance Man on 10/15/18 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hey, DOC
10/15/18 11:26 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
You have a vision.
State office has a vision.

They are different.

Just make sure your vision is right.
Make it indy.
If you want it to be COG later - they will take you in.
10/15/18 12:23 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
Is the vision to win the lost or pull from other churches? It’s something your heart has to figure out. Acts-pert Poster
10/15/18 1:00 pm

Post Da Sheik
There is such a thing as predatory church planting. Many AB’s have been guilty of endorsing such practices. I don’t have enough facts to speak authoritatively in your instance. Sounds like you want to go to an open field where there is no COG presence. That sounds good. Also sounds like you are expecting to take members from existing churches as part of your “vision”. Hard for me to embrace that.

Again, I don’t know you or the situation. But your words reflect an adversarial relationship with state leadership. That doesn’t mean you’re wrong and they’re right. But how can two walk together unless they be agreed ? I’m a Kingdom guy. I’m COG but the Kingdom is much bigger. So with that said, if it’s truly God’s will for you to be in this city, no AB can hinder that.

Given my choice, I would rather plant a church aimed at reaching and discipling new believers rather than having a bunch of disgruntled sheep migrate to a new pasture. If they leave somewhere else for a new work, they’ll leave you when they’re bored of you too.
Acts Enthusiast
10/15/18 1:59 pm

Post Link
Why should leaving a denomination be a bigger issue than something like just moving or changing churches? It's the same thing. You aren't in contact as much with people you fellowshipped with before.

Is there any reason to think, Biblically, that the COG (Cleveland) is 'more special' than other groups of Christians?
10/15/18 2:36 pm

Post Waambulance Man
deleted Hey, DOC
10/15/18 6:58 pm

Post Cojak
Waambulance Man wrote:
deleted

I just found the post. I have been sicker 'n a dog (statement from my youth).

Don't go away upset. there is some solid advice above. I have never had a problem with an overseer, but I have known those who crossed swords. one won, most did not.

Give it a lot of thought and prayer. Yes, on face value of what I read, something stinks.

Hang in there. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/15/18 9:13 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Trying to figure out why our original posted deleted all his posts...
10/15/18 11:15 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Guess he didn't like the way the thread went.
10/16/18 6:47 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
H
Link wrote:

Is there any reason to think, Biblically, that the COG (Cleveland) is 'more special' than other groups of Christians?

When I was growing up and later began ministry in the AG, I certainly was of the opinion that the AG was the best, most scripturally based group, of all denominations. No doubt many if not most people believe their chosen denomination is precisely that. I definitely think the COG is better than the AG, for several reasons. There really is no reason for denominations to exist, if each one is just as good as any. I know lots of Baptists and Catholics who firmly believe theirs is the best, most scriptural denomination. And nondenominational folks generally believe theirs is the best, most scriptural way of being the church, don’t they? Wouldn’t they try to change otherwise?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/16/18 10:02 am

Post Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
H
Link wrote:

When I was growing up and later began ministry in the AG, I certainly was of the opinion that the AG was the best, most scripturally based group, of all denominations. No doubt many if not most people believe their chosen denomination is precisely that. I definitely think the COG is better than the AG, for several reasons. There really is no reason for denominations to exist, if each one is just as good as any. I know lots of Baptists and Catholics who firmly believe theirs is the best, most scriptural denomination. And nondenominational folks generally believe theirs is the best, most scriptural way of being the church, don’t they? Wouldn’t they try to change otherwise?

The thing with Pentecostal denominations is that a lot of them are so similar. I'm not sure of other Pentecostal denominations set up the same in terms of governance as the A/G. But the IPHC and COG are similar in terms of governance. And there are penty of A/G, COG, IPHC, CH, etc. churches that are so similar culturally, you wouldn't know which denomination you were in if someone blindfolded you and took you there without letting you see the sign out front.
10/16/18 11:18 am

Post Cojak
Link wrote:
... And there are penty of A/G, COG, IPHC, CH, etc. churches that are so similar culturally, you wouldn't know which denomination you were in if someone blindfolded you and took you there without letting you see the sign out front.

That is a fact, Link! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/19/18 11:18 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic