Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Living while deaf

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Living while deaf Cojak
I have read so much about 'Driving While Black' (DWB) I absolutely believe some of the tales.
A lady in Marietta GA called the police because she saw a black man with two white kids and asked the man if she could talk to the kids. The man refused and said they were not his kids he was baby sitting. She then called the police. they questioned the man and released him. He was actually baby sitting the kids for friends. Now someone has put the term out ."Baby sitting while black" (BSWB). I can understand the man's feelings. The lady was using what she had learned growing up, to her it was suspicious. I wish it had been a learning experience. That is, the Police sitting down with her and the man. Probably did not happen.

I know, the term 'I have some black friends' is used by us whites when we know one black guy.

Well I know and have known and still have some great black friends. Two well enough to talk serious race-relations with. I do understand more than some whites the feelings there. But I am sure I cannot come close to KNOWING what it is to be black and trying to 'get along' in this world.

NOW, DEAFNESS. (Blindness, legless, armless, etc) unless someone is actually deaf (or has a handicap or has had it) they have no idea what it is like to not 'understand' what is said. I am blessed with 'Cochlear Implants' without them I am totally deaf. They are a blessing one on one, but in a crowd they are completely useless, just a roar.

I have learned to live with, "Honey I told you yesterday that we were having dinner today with with xxxx ." I might have heard something very different.

My wife quit watching TV over 22years ago when I quit trying. Many people do not actually believe that today our TV has not been on in months. My wife will turn it on tomorrow to find out what the hurricane is likely to do. I laugh when I think of what one of our nieces said when she mentioned some celebrity and we did not know them. "Do you live under a rock? She is famous!"

One more thing, my son likes to say, "you hear what you want to hear." He is now in his late 50's and needs reading glasses. I handed him some small print and asked him to read it. of course he could not without his glasses. I pointed out to him that Hearing aids./Implants do not work like glasses. Hearing is not magically cleared up with aids. If your hearing is gone amplification only makes blurred words LOUDER not more clear!

I am just frustrated today, We got a call from our mechanic in Atlanta today explaining about out engine, (using the speaker phone) I could understand only half he said and my wife has no idea what he said other than it might be ready the end of the week.!

But all in all Life is good. And we should have our mobile-estate back soon! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/9/18 11:18 pm

Post FLRon
This post resonates with me because my hearing is getting worse every year. My poor wife,who is a very soft talker,puts up with a lot just trying to have a normal conversation with me. One on one in a quiet setting and I do ok,but let there be ANY type of background noise and I struggle to hear what she is saying.Doesn't look good for the long term.
10/10/18 10:37 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Cojak, I really appreciate the stories you share here about your deafness. I don't have any friends who are deaf (in real life, I mean) so I don't really get any opportunity to learn how to be accommodating or helpful when I encounter people who are deaf. Reading your stories here has helped me learn some of the things to think about when endeavoring to be considerate in these situations. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/10/18 11:10 am

Post Cojak
FLRon wrote:
This post resonates with me because my hearing is getting worse every year. My poor wife,who is a very soft talker,puts up with a lot just trying to have a normal conversation with me. One on one in a quiet setting and I do ok,but let there be ANY type of background noise and I struggle to hear what she is saying.Doesn't look good for the long term.

I have learned one thing. IF all you need is someone to speak louder, the cheapo $20-$30 aids help. I mentioned once here that I bought a hearing aid for 50 cents at a yard sale in Maine. It was still sealed in the case and had batteries. I used it for years as a back up and it worked as well as the first hearing aids the VA issued to me.

Once you hear, but do not understand, then the real hearing problem is developing. Hearing aids will not help the understanding, only make the sounds you do not understand louder.

I still find myself withdrawing from crowds when I used to be a mixer. Hang in there and strain to help and understand your wife. Your situation is hard for someone to actually understand, it was as plain as day to them. LOL
10/10/18 1:35 pm

Post Cojak
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Cojak, I really appreciate the stories you share here about your deafness. I don't have any friends who are deaf (in real life, I mean) so I don't really get any opportunity to learn how to be accommodating or helpful when I encounter people who are deaf. Reading your stories here has helped me learn some of the things to think about when endeavoring to be considerate in these situations.

Thanks DD, there is so much to learn in life. I have learned much from you guys here on the Forum. I was just talking to my wife this morning about reading and learning here. I have about an 8th grade vocabulary and just learning words here has been an eye opener. LOL

I have published 11 books now and the proofs come back bleeding red even on the third proof, but I am getting better. (LOL)

I may learn words but have no idea how it is pronounced. Exegesis (I even spelled correctly) is a word I had never heard (that I know of) until seeing it here. I basically understand the word 'satire' methinks but do not always recognize it. Those are simple words to many, but to me as a drop out, they are not. Embarassed Embarassed
10/10/18 1:46 pm

Post Da Sheik
Cojak, you are truly a gem here on this forum. Thanks for your kindness and humility. We have never met, but your character shines through your words. If we could all be so civil, what a great place this would be to interact. I can’t relate to your particular struggle, but I have my own infirmity which can make life challenging at times. I pray your trial will be over soon and that we would all be a little more compassionate and sensitive to the suffering of others. Acts Enthusiast
10/12/18 12:28 pm

Post Cojak
I apologize for this post because it came from frustration, I guess.
I knew the engine was bad. I know a little about engines as most boys who became drivers in the 50's. I heard some familiar words, valves, cam shaft push rods and rod bearings etc. But I could not put it together.

But as is my usual MO, I said, "You know better than I, do what has to be done."

We drove the motor home from Atlanta to NC TODAY. iT IS 4 DAYS SHY OF A MONTH. That is the longest we have lived in a house in 22 years. The rest of the time we have been in a motor home, van or tent.

We paid $3,000. for our first home. 2BR 1 Ba. This morning the cost of repair was 6 times the cost of our first house. It hurt of course, but we could afford it.

Driving up from Atlanta, as ALWAYS, I looked over at my wife and repeated a well used phrase, "Honey we are the most blessed couple in the world." (she always agrees)

This girl has followed me over a lot of the world. She has lived in tents, and once as a pastor's wife she lived in a remodeled Chicken coop. Following that she lived about 4 years in GITMO.

At 80 yrs of age I take no meds, She takes a blood pressure pill, "Because she lives with me," she says.

We are blessed beyond measure. Although this has been the worst summer in many years. We still have each other. When we see homes flooded and others blown apart by hurricanes, I have to say again and again, We are most blessed.
thanks Sheik, I appreciate the nice words, but I certainly do not deserve them. God is Good. I think many times of dropping off Acts, but I have been blessed too much, many times. Folks would say silly or simple things yank my chain, and I guess they do. truthfully I get a kick out of things like NBF & DD's back and forth.

QW always surprises me with 'words' i have to look up. YOurs are some of the most level-headed comments ('cept your latest here!) and posts.

I like learning Link got his doctorate, he is a NC mountain boy. Aaron never fails to bring a smile. I could go on, but like a preacher who can't close a sermon, I keep on going.
Love you guys and gals.
10/12/18 9:49 pm

Post When I said the Worst summer Cojak
This summer has been tough. The engine was the least of the things. I lost my last sibling, I lost a friend (untimely 33 yrs old) My wife's oldest brother and his wife have had their minds stolen by Alzheimer. I settled an estate and it did not go as planned by my sister.

AS I said, the engine was the least but thru it all God has been faithful and good to me. I don't mean to sound like I am complaining. Next year will be better! Cool
10/12/18 9:56 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic