Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Cloture passes 51-49; Flake/Manchin a yes, Murkowski a no

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Cloture passes 51-49; Flake/Manchin a yes, Murkowski a no Dave Dorsey
Next big piece of news will be Senator Collins' floor speech at 3pm ET, where she will announce her final vote. If she is a no, the GOP must retain Flake and Manchin to get to 50, and that seems like a tall order.

Murkowski allegedly heard many stories from constituents who had been victims of sexual assault and rape. Alaska has the highest rate of rape and sexual assault of any state in the nation, and I don't doubt that Murkowski heard many heartwrenching accounts. What I don't understand is how that translates to her placing her hands on Kavanaugh and making him the atonement for the evils her constituents and others have suffered.

It looked like this morning we might have some sense of resolution after Collins' floor speech, but now it looks like this nomination will remain up in the air until the final vote is cast.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/18 10:45 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Flake is now a "yes" unless something big changes before tomorrow -- no idea what that would mean -- but for my money, Flake is a "maybe" until the final vote.

If he holds, only Collins OR Manchin are necessary to confirm.

Collins announces her vote at 3pm ET.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/18 11:12 am

Post Dave Dorsey
I'm not 100% certain where Collins is going to wind up (she's still talking) but she is doing an encyclopedic deep dive on his rulings. What on earth is she doing?? Why is she talking about his judicial philosophy and quoting extensively from rulings he's written??? What about the Devil's Triangle and his college beer drinking?!??? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/18 2:22 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
WHAT ABOUT BOOFING??? [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/18 2:28 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
OK, like most conservatives I've never been a huge fan of Collins... but that was one of the most thorough and compelling floor speeches I have ever seen. Senator Collins went into beast mode and tore the case against Kavanaugh to absolute pieces. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/18 2:53 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Of course, she also said he said he wasn't overturning Roe v Wade - so if that was the cost - what did we gain?
10/5/18 3:27 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Of course, she also said he said he wasn't overturning Roe v Wade - so if that was the cost - what did we gain?

Judge Kavanaugh isn't limited in his rulings to the opinions Senator Collins expressed today.

But, no one is overturning Roe any time soon anyway. What's much more likely is that Casey's "undue burden" standard will continue to be whittled away, with Kavanaugh voting in the affirmative, and that will inded have a significant impact on promoting life.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/18 3:55 pm

Post Susan Collins is... diakoneo
no hero
a true political grandstand-er
a politician to the bone.

Her speech proves we may have won the battle and lost the war ie in getting roevwade overturned or aca thrown out.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/5/18 9:01 pm

Post Re: Susan Collins is... Dave Dorsey
diakoneo wrote:
no hero

Her speech proves we may have won the battle and lost the war ie in getting roevwade overturned or aca thrown out.

It sure doesn't take much to squeeze the air out of your balloon.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/18 9:19 am

Post re: collins Cojak
A very good speech. Politician? YES. After reading wht the Hollywood eleite had to say about her I did e-mail her to thank her for the speech and her vote. I am sure she has no time to read the thousands of e-mails she gets. but I have friends in Kennebunkport and Milbridge who really respect her.

Roe vs Wade will not be overturned in the near future, I agree with DD there. Reagan probably had the most influence at the time and it was not done then.

I would like to see it overturned, but we have never been able to legislate morality, and won't, most likely. The Church's job is the Kingdom. If laws agree that is wonderful...

I appreciate the FREEDOM we have in the USA, the best country yet!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/6/18 10:10 am

Post I come away ... Mat
I come away wondering, after watching this week's conflict and the assaults on senators, about the access the protesters have in the capital building. How do they have the time, income and access to carryout such disruptive and personal attacks in the very seat of our national government?

What they do is make me what to "fight" back. Only the grace of God would keep me from such behavior if directed towards me. These protesters may not want anything to do with Jesus, but they should thank God I do.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
10/6/18 10:16 am

Post Re: I come away ... Dave Dorsey
Mat wrote:
I come away wondering, after watching this week's conflict and the assaults on senators, about the access the protesters have in the capital building. How do they have the time, income and access to carryout such disruptive and personal attacks in the very seat of our national government?

I really struggle with this. The right to petition the government for a redress of grievances is one of the most fundamental liberties guaranteed by the Constitution. The ability to visit the Capitol and discuss your view with a passing member of Congress is absolutely an example of this sort of petition.

Yet, I think most any fair-minded person would acknowledge that some (if not more) of what we saw this week (and what we will likely see today) comes dangerously close to crossing the line into incitement, assault (in the legal sense of threatening harm), etc.

Americans have a right to protest. They have a right to petition their government. They have a right to be civilly disobedient. I think we need to be VERY careful about where we draw the line on issues like this. But, with that said, I don't think anyone can argue that our elected officials were not being put in danger this week.

I thank God for the valiant service of the Capitol police this week.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/6/18 10:29 am

Post Re: Susan Collins is... diakoneo
Dave Dorsey wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
no hero

It sure doesn't take much to squeeze the air out of your balloon.

Very Happy

Senator Collins said:
Quote:
There has also been considerable focus on the future of abortion rights based on the concern that Judge Kavanaugh would seek to overturn Roe v. Wade.Protecting this right is important to me. To my knowledge, Judge Kavanaugh is the first Supreme Court nominee to express the view that precedent is not merely a practice and tradition, but rooted in Article 3 of our Constitution itself. He believes that precedent is not just a judicial policy, it is constitutionally dictated to pay attention and pay heed to rules of precedent. In other words, precedent isn’t a goal or an aspiration. It is a constitutional tenet that has to be followed except in the most extraordinary circumstances.

I hope Kavanaugh works well for conservatives, I really do. But I thought Roberts was gonna be the best thing since sliced bread. And then when he voted the way he voted on the ACA...well Anthony Kennedy was more conservative there. I fear Kavanaugh is just like Roberts.

Senator Collins said:
Quote:
One concern that I frequently heard was that the judge would be likely to eliminate the Affordable Care Act’s vital protections for people with preexisting conditions. I disagree with this. In a dissent in Seven-Sky v. Holder, Judge Kavanaugh rejected a challenge to the ACA on narrow procedural grounds, preserving the law in full. Many experts have said that his dissent informed Justice Roberts’s opinion upholding the ACA at the Supreme Court.

She is not a conservative.
She is a politician.
In the end she got what she wanted and we (Christian conservatives) got what we wanted. Sorry, that just doesn't make sense to me. Especially since she understands law much better than I do. Justices can change when they get on the court but this establishment RINO liked Kavanaugh and the way he ruled as a judge on her pet issues. She got up a gave a 45 minute...45 MINUTE speech defending her decision to the snow flakes our there.

Sorry I don't have a deflated balloon emoji Razz

Last edited by diakoneo on 10/7/18 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/6/18 7:16 pm

Post How do these people have the time and money? Dunamis007
Removed by admin

- DD
10/6/18 7:38 pm

Post Re: How do these people have the time and money? Cojak
Dunamis007 wrote:
Because George Soros is funding all of this or a great deal of it. It is time for him to move on to his reward and the sooner the better.

Is there any proof of this? Not questioning, just wondering if there are 'facts'.

That said, I do know it has happened because one protestor went to a news reporter to complain that he had not been paid as promised. He had been promised $100 a day to be there and had not seen the money yet.

I know Soros is a piece of work fromhis quotes. I know he also has the money but is he financing it. Now I am smart enough to know he doesn't personally pay anyone, but if he does it is some non profit group.

My question is, DO WE KNOW THIS, or is this directly from some the fake e-mails- I have seen. Shocked Shocked Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/6/18 7:57 pm

Post Re: How do these people have the time and money? Dave Dorsey
Dunamis007 wrote:
Because George Soros is funding all of this or a great deal of it. It is time for him to move on to his reward and the sooner the better.

I personally don't believe you're making a threat here, but just so you know, this could be interpreted as a veiled threat and as a result is not okay on this forum. Wishing death on people is probably not a good idea in general for a Christian forum.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/7/18 4:59 am

Post Here you go cojak Dunamis007
Geo Soros group planned this a year ago or more. The #metoo group, move on.org group all funded by him.

As to my veiled threat on mr soros
You're reading more into my post than intended. And as to wishing him dead, well, actually i have prayed for his salvation but if he isn't going to find Christ in this life then i pray his influence will cease in this world. I dont wish him dead, just stop his ability to sow discord in this world, Lord.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailywire.com/news/24524/george-soros-funded-group-gathering-trumps-ryan-saavedra%3famp
10/7/18 6:33 am

Post Re: Here you go cojak Dave Dorsey
Dunamis007 wrote:
As to my veiled threat on mr soros
You're reading more into my post than intended.

As I said, I did not interpret it as a veiled threat. I'm just letting you know it could be interpreted that way, and as a result, for your protection and the protection of this forum, it's not OK. Thanks.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/7/18 7:34 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic