Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Baptist Kids Learn Exciting Account Of Jesus Turning Water Into Grape Juice (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Link
Where's Beulah?
10/3/18 5:18 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
diakoneo wrote:
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Can someone ping one of Acts' teetotalers and get them in here? It's not any fun playing on an empty court.

Acts teetotalers?? Do they exist Question

Yes, alive and well, and accounted for. Wink
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
10/3/18 10:56 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
Carolyn Smith wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

I guess I should specify that I'm hoping this thread is visited by people who think the Bible commands everyone ELSE to be teetotalers. Individual/personal abstinence is a perfectly respectable viewpoint.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/4/18 3:55 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Sorry...I'm not sure what the question is. This thread has kinda bounced around all over the place...
10/4/18 6:25 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Can someone ping one of Acts' teetotalers and get them in here? It's not any fun playing on an empty court.

I am an Acts "abstain from strong drink" person.

I don't feel a Christian should drink alcohol and lose control of their senses in today's society.

Sober minded.

Stay away from vipers.

No need to play around with it.

I just don't see any good that can come of it.

COG forefathers felt the same way. It's only today's enlightened folks - so much smarter regarding the Bible than any of them were - that sees the need to drink alcohol.
10/4/18 7:30 am

Post Dave Dorsey
NBF, it's a good thing that misunderstanding discussions and making straw man arguments aren't sins. You'd be heading to Hell on a jet plane. Surprised [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/4/18 8:03 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
NBF, it's a good thing that misunderstanding discussions and making straw man arguments aren't sins. You'd be heading to Hell on a jet plane. Surprised

Dave,

Thanks for condemning me to hell. Just knowing we are on opposite sides of this issue gives me great peace.

Drink your fill of alcohol. It matters not to me.

"Pastors" that feel alcohol consumption is ok often fall to it's dangers.

Go ahead and test yourself against it if you feel you must. If you were my friend, I would ask that you don't do it. Hopefully you aren't susceptible to its addictive powers. Evil or Very Mad

https://www.christianheadlines.com/blog/megachurch-pastors-perry-noble-in-rehab-for-alcohol-abuse-while-mark-driscoll-supports-social-drinking.html
10/4/18 8:18 am

Post Dave Dorsey
NBF, most of the time I think you're just trolling here, but sometimes the things you post make you look so ridiculous that I wonder if you are actually being serious and actually are... well, the way your posts make you seem. Shocked [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/4/18 8:27 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave, I assure you - my disgust for alcohol is real.

Again, knowing you think it is funny - makes me feel I am on the right track.

But as for your posts - they are often angry complaints about how you are done wrong, the COG let's you down cause you are in California, Christians are so stupid when they believe different than you, etc...

If that's the way you want to live - perhaps alcohol is a good choice for you.

Stay thirsty my friend.
10/4/18 9:28 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
But as for your posts - they are often angry complaints about how you are done wrong, the COG let's you down cause you are in California, Christians are so stupid when they believe different than you, etc...

Not sure who you're confusing me with, but I live in Maryland and don't attend a COG church.

I'm seriously starting to feel concerned for you. Your posts do not sound like the posts of someone who is well.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/4/18 9:32 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
I did have you confused. My apologies.

Of course, reading your posts will do that.

So - I will try to mentally remember you as the alcohol guy from Maryland and think of the words "Dilly dilly" and "Dave Dorsey" as going together.

That should clear things up DD.
10/4/18 10:01 am

Post diakoneo
Dave and NBF, here is you a song Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25QyCxVkXwQ
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/4/18 12:36 pm

Post Cojak
diakoneo wrote:
Dave and NBF, here is you a song Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25QyCxVkXwQ

I feel so much better. I watched the whole thang! Thanks DK.

But to the OP, I am one who believes Jesus did partake of wine. I think the wine at the marriage was good wine. But I cannot imagine the party running short 100 gallons. Musta been a lot of party crasher's!' Or a parent who cannot count very well. Just thinking! Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/4/18 6:50 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
The only alcohol I've ever tasted was when a (non-COG) friend wanted to do communion with wine...so maybe a thimblefull or two. LOL

I grew up in the COG believing the consumption of alcohol was wrong, period. It would be wrong for me since I have a conviction about it, and I have no desire to drink alcohol.

I was appalled when I found this board and found there were COG preachers who believed it was OK to drink alcohol.

I would never teach or preach it publicly, but I don't think you really can prove by the Bible that drinking wine is wrong. The Bible does speak against strong drink in the Proverbs.

But the scripture my dad always used was about offending your brother, where Paul said if it offended his brother, he wouldn't eat meat while the world stands. I think we have a responsibility to others to live a life that is above reproach.

I have a friend that dearly loves the Lord, but if he drinks one alcoholic beverage, he's gone. His personality totally changes and he is mean and surly to people that love him and that he loves. One drink can take him down a very dark road that doesn't end at one drink. I would not want him to look at me and say, "If she does it, it must be OK."

My husband's father was an alcoholic, not the kind that drinks every night, but if he ever started, he may not stop for a month, lying drunk on the couch. My husband had to help him to the bathroom and threw away his beer or alcohol whenever he could get away with it. We have never had beer or alcohol in our home.

I did some research on Adult Children of Alcoholics after we married, and I found that the learned behaviors of alcoholics can continue on in the family for four generations after the drinking has stopped. FOUR GENERATIONS!

You might be one of those people who can take a drink and not keep on drinking. I don't think I want to find out if I am or not.

I heard it said on this board that Ray H Hughes said it is easier to preach being a teetotaler than to preach moderation. Personally, I think that's pretty wise, and I think he's right. Christians tend not to be very good at moderation.

So, that's my opinion, take it or leave it. Sorry to disagree, Dave...
10/4/18 9:25 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
What are you disagreeing with, exactly?

When did -I- say that I think Christians should drink? NBF had a fun time yesterday assuming that was my position, but when did I express that view?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/18 2:56 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

I guess I should specify that I'm hoping this thread is visited by people who think the Bible commands everyone ELSE to be teetotalers. Individual/personal abstinence is a perfectly respectable viewpoint.

Probably this one, Dave, and the next comment you made to NBF.

Whatever. I told you it wasn't clear what you were asking for. I guess it still isn't!
10/5/18 6:17 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Whatever. I told you it wasn't clear what you were asking for. I guess it still isn't!

Do you think the Bible commands everyone to be a teetotaler? Because your post kinda says exactly the opposite. What you expressed kinda sounds like what I described as a "perfectly respectable viewpoint". Confused Question Question

What I oppose is the view that the Bible forbids alcohol consumption (which is not the same as saying the Bible commands moderation or that abstinence is the wisest course of action) and grape juice truthers who say Jesus didn't drink wine (of whom we've had a few on this forum over the years).
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/5/18 6:57 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:

Do you think the Bible commands everyone to be a teetotaler? Because your post kinda says exactly the opposite. What you expressed kinda sounds like what I described as a "perfectly respectable viewpoint". Confused Question Question

What I oppose is the view that the Bible forbids alcohol consumption (which is not the same as saying the Bible commands moderation or that abstinence is the wisest course of action) and grape juice truthers who say Jesus didn't drink wine (of whom we've had a few on this forum over the years).

Sure - if you feel your stomach would be helped by wine - possibly because you drink a lot of contaminated water - the Bible is clear you should drink some. I am not sure I see the Bible mention any other benefits to a Christian otherwise - and I would teach any folks that came to hear me preach the same thing.

Dilly dilly.
10/5/18 7:38 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic