Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Prayer request for my dad (CoG minister since 1955)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Prayer request for my dad (CoG minister since 1955) Dean Steenburgh
My dad is Marlin W. Steenburgh O.B. in the CoG for almost 64 years & all of it right here in the Golden State of Calif.
Very tough to say this but I need to get it out.
Doctors informed us this week that my dad (our D.O. by the way) has terminal stomach cancer & they give him 6 months.
Hard to say it because my faith wants to go the way of a miracle for my 80 year old father & I want he & mom to continue the love they've shared for almost 62 years.
He's not in any real pain yet & he has a surreal peace about him.
I was with him when the oncologist brought the news & he didn't even show a glimpse of a wrinkle in his kind face when the diagnosis was revealed.
After about an hour I asked him if he remembered the doc's words & he recounted the events with a gentle comment, 'Don't let these kind of things mess with your mind ...God has this!'

We would love to see a miracle & I know the power of what God can do with humble veterans in His service. Not ashamed to admit that my prayer for his extended life is selfish in that he's been my Pops for 59 years & I don't want him to leave yet. Emotionally it's been a tough week in my own alone time.

The plan of God is the plan we'll submit to & I know He will do the right thing.
In a lighter moment we were talking about the benefits of the next life & he seemed to be excited about seeing Jesus & a lot of family members & friends. But on the flip side he would have to say, 'see you soon' to us here at home.

He has entered comfort care as of yesterday & faces a consultation with the medical team this week to discuss the pros & cons of chemo options.

My family appreciates your prayers in advance, blessings.
Dean

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/29/18 6:16 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Praying here, bro. I lost my Dad in 2005 at the age of 65 to terminal lung disease. I miss him every day. I pray that God give you many more years with your beloved Dad.

It is absolutely true that God’s got this.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/29/18 7:48 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Amen brother. My prayers are going up for you right now.
9/29/18 8:07 pm

Post Cojak
Man does this hit home. I will be 80 in January. My wife and I have been married 62 years, my oldest son is 59.
My prayers are with you and the family. I will pray for the miracle from my own standpoint. I love and appreciate you, my brother, and know your dad is very proud of you himself.

I love his attitude and appreciate your attitude that he can be healed to still share love with his wife of 62 years. When you get here, 80 isn't all that old and my prayer is that your dad will be here much longer to hold and comfort the woman of his life.
AND YES GOD HAS THIS! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/29/18 8:18 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Thanks friends!

I love that part from you Cojak, 'when you get here' ...that was awesome!
My dad has always been kind of an old soul so his 80 is probably closer to somebody's else in their 90's. My mentor is soon to be 89 & he's still very active & drives his pickup all over delivering food to the elderly lol. He's a real character.

My dad has always been a great dad & has always been the example of a Godly husband, father & pastor/minister. Dad's life could be summed up with one good word, integrity. Integrity is best defined when nobody is watching.

Sorry you lost your dad so young QW.
Actually my dad lost his dad early also as my Gpa has been gone 35 years but my Great Gpa lived long & passed at 84 when I was 11. All were ministers & all of them at one time in their life ministered here at FCC either as a pastor or as a guest minister.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
9/29/18 8:42 pm

Post Preacher777
Praying that God does a miraculous healing in your dad's life Dean. I was also fortunate to have a wonderful father who passed away and this isn't an easy experience. Friendly Face
10/1/18 5:14 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Dean - Nothing wrong with praying for healing.

But your Dad may be ready to go. In his conversations with Jesus - they may have already discussed it. Don't discount that possibility.

Be thankful for the days you do have to go over the stories you've lived together.

I don't think that will mean you don't have "faith" for healing - but it will show God how thankful you are for the days you've already had.
10/1/18 6:50 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Praying for you, your dad, and your family Dean. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
10/1/18 7:08 am

Post Re: Prayer request for my dad (CoG minister since 1955) FLRon
Dean Steenburgh wrote:
My dad is Marlin W. Steenburgh O.B. in the CoG for almost 64 years & all of it right here in the Golden State of Calif.
Very tough to say this but I need to get it out.
Doctors informed us this week that my dad (our D.O. by the way) has terminal stomach cancer & they give him 6 months.
Hard to say it because my faith wants to go the way of a miracle for my 80 year old father & I want he & mom to continue the love they've shared for almost 62 years.
He's not in any real pain yet & he has a surreal peace about him.
I was with him when the oncologist brought the news & he didn't even show a glimpse of a wrinkle in his kind face when the diagnosis was revealed.
After about an hour I asked him if he remembered the doc's words & he recounted the events with a gentle comment, 'Don't let these kind of things mess with your mind ...God has this!'

We would love to see a miracle & I know the power of what God can do with humble veterans in His service. Not ashamed to admit that my prayer for his extended life is selfish in that he's been my Pops for 59 years & I don't want him to leave yet. Emotionally it's been a tough week in my own alone time.

The plan of God is the plan we'll submit to & I know He will do the right thing.
In a lighter moment we were talking about the benefits of the next life & he seemed to be excited about seeing Jesus & a lot of family members & friends. But on the flip side he would have to say, 'see you soon' to us here at home.

He has entered comfort care as of yesterday & faces a consultation with the medical team this week to discuss the pros & cons of chemo options.

My family appreciates your prayers in advance, blessings.
Dean

Definitely praying for your dad. Wow, he’s been your dad for 59 years? I cannot imagine how incredible that must be to you, and to imagine the memories you must have. You are blessed Dean!
Whenever I read a post like this I get a twinge of sadness in my heart because I only had my dad for 12 years. After nearly 51 years hardly a day goes by that I don’t think of him and wonder what might have been.
10/1/18 1:14 pm

Post Re: Prayer request for my dad (CoG minister since 1955) Cojak
FLRon wrote:
Definitely praying for your dad. Wow, he’s been your dad for 59 years? I cannot imagine how incredible that must be to you...

YES & Amen! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
10/1/18 2:34 pm

Post diakoneo
Praying for you and your dad! Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
10/1/18 3:44 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic