Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Is/was it a sin to own slaves?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post UncleJD
Cojak wrote:
I have never heard anyone say the CivilWar was God's punishment for slavery.
but then I sorta live under a rock. I have honestly NEVER heard that. Shocked

I'm not sure whether it was or not, but Lincoln thought it was, at least by the end of the war.

We have to remember how many slaves were believers and were crying out to God, who loved them as much as He loved anyone, including the Israelites whom He heard in Egypt.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/19/18 9:05 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
It is interesting that Paul the Apostle, in 1 Tim 1, places slave traders/menstealers in the same list of ungodly, unholy lawbreakers, rebels and sinners as whoremongers, sodomites and liars.

But not slave owners. Else, he would have condemned many church members of that day.

If God’s word condemns slave traders for their promotion and advancement of slavery, it then follows that the entire institution is corrupt and wicked. Without slave traders, the institution would collapse of its own weight. Paul’s reticence to advocate strongly against slavery in his day was likely an accommodation to culture in order to avoid the widespread violence that would no doubt have occurred had Christian slaves demanded liberty. Paul’s Letter to Philemon, of course, set the stage for the eventual peaceful overthrow of slavery by Christian slave owners coming to realize that both master and slave are in fact brothers in Christ. The Golden Rule, if heeded, makes slavery a sheer absurdity.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/19/18 2:31 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
It is interesting that Paul the Apostle, in 1 Tim 1, places slave traders/menstealers in the same list of ungodly, unholy lawbreakers, rebels and sinners as whoremongers, sodomites and liars.

But not slave owners. Else, he would have condemned many church members of that day.

If God’s word condemns slave traders for their promotion and advancement of slavery, it then follows that the entire institution is corrupt and wicked. Without slave traders, the institution would collapse of its own weight. Paul’s reticence to advocate strongly against slavery in his day was likely an accommodation to culture in order to avoid the widespread violence that would no doubt have occurred had Christian slaves demanded liberty. Paul’s Letter to Philemon, of course, set the stage for the eventual peaceful overthrow of slavery by Christian slave owners coming to realize that both master and slave are in fact brothers in Christ. The Golden Rule, if heeded, makes slavery a sheer absurdity.

I agree that that slavery seems incompatible with the Golden Rule. However, I'd like to sudy further some of the meanings of words being translated "enslavers" in some versions in their correct context. It seems the Apostles would have had much more to say about it had it meant simple slave owners.
9/19/18 3:38 pm

Post Re: Well there’s 1 Tim 1:8-11... Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, 10the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to soundc doctrine, 11in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted. ESV

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me. NIV

But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; 9Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine; 11According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. KJV

Not all slaveowners were manstealers. There was a law in the Torah that allowed taking certain individuals as slave after battle.
9/19/18 8:14 pm

Post diakoneo
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Quiet Wyatt wrote:

Slavery being a reality, I suppose that if a Christian could purchase slaves and take good care of them, wouldn't it be a good idea to buy them to keep evil owners from buying them?
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
9/19/18 8:15 pm

Post Link
I hope God considers us all to be among those who love the brethren. But I cannot open the Bible and read where Link loves the brethren, or Quirt Wyatt loves tge Brethren or Resident Skeptic loves the brethren.

But I know Philemon loves the brethren because the Bible says so. He was a slave owner.
9/19/18 8:18 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
And Paul appealed to the fact that Onesimus was now his brother. When the love of God and love of neighbor governs one’s actions, everything worldly changes. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
9/19/18 10:40 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
And Paul appealed to the fact that Onesimus was now his brother. When the love of God and love of neighbor governs one’s actions, everything worldly changes.

Yet, Paul admonished this runaway slave to return to his master. Paul admonished slave owners to treat their slaves well, not to free them.
9/20/18 9:44 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic