Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A disappointment concerning Actscelerate
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Nature Boy Florida
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
So one using some of his energy and time to save the country constitutes putting government ahead of people and their souls, or trying to make Christ's kingdom of this world?

Dunno, would you take up arms against a fellow believer if you felt that person was a member of the "Deep State"?

In the civil war, that's exactly what happened. Both sides felt they were doing God's service. Fellow believers, even fellow family members, in disagreement. Death was the result.
9/8/18 6:34 am

Post Preacher777
[quote="Eddie Robbins"][quote="Resident Skeptic"][quote="Eddie Robbins"]That’s fine. I’ll never apologize for putting people and their souls ahead of a government. His kingdom is not of this world.[/quote]

So one using some of his energy and time to save the country constitutes putting government ahead of people and their souls, or trying to make Christ's kingdom of this world?[/quote]

Absolutely not. In fact, it is good for us to be good citizens and servants of the country. I am taking about those who would rather change the people through legislation rather than through their hearts with an eternal benefit. Again, what does it profit us if every legislation goes our way and the US becomes a wealthy nation but we lose souls? That’s all I’m saying. It’s priorities. The perception is this is not the case right now.[/quote]

I believe Eddie sums things up in a nice way. If believers are honest what do you think the results would be if we did a anonymous poll and asked people from both sides how much devotional time they spent interceding for souls this past week and doing something practical for concerning God's work compared to time spent watching news reports, reading about and discussing his or her political hot buttons? One's priorities can be determined by taking a personal inventory of where our time is spent.
Friendly Face
9/8/18 7:22 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Preacher777 wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
That’s fine. I’ll never apologize for putting people and their souls ahead of a government. His kingdom is not of this world.

So one using some of his energy and time to save the country constitutes putting government ahead of people and their souls, or trying to make Christ's kingdom of this world?

Absolutely not. In fact, it is good for us to be good citizens and servants of the country. I am taking about those who would rather change the people through legislation rather than through their hearts with an eternal benefit. Again, what does it profit us if every legislation goes our way and the US becomes a wealthy nation but we lose souls? That’s all I’m saying. It’s priorities. The perception is this is not the case right now.

I believe Eddie sums things up in a nice way. If believers are honest what do you think the results would be if we did a anonymous poll and asked people from both sides how much devotional time they spent interceding for souls this past week and doing something practical for concerning God's work compared to time spent watching news reports, reading about and discussing his or her political hot buttons? One's priorities can be determined by taking a personal inventory of where our time is spent.

If Christians were guilty of spending too much time in politics, this country would not be in the mess it's in now. Christians are rather likely too busy entertaining themselves than having adequate personal devotions and civic involvement. Yet, your point stands as well and one should not sacrifice their personal commitments and servive to Christ for anything.
9/8/18 7:57 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Eddie Robbins wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:
Eddie Robbins wrote:
That’s fine. I’ll never apologize for putting people and their souls ahead of a government. His kingdom is not of this world.

Absolutely not. In fact, it is good for us to be good citizens and servants of the country. I am taking about those who would rather change the people through legislation rather than through their hearts with an eternal benefit. Again, what does it profit us if every legislation goes our way and the US becomes a wealthy nation but we lose souls? That’s all I’m saying. It’s priorities. The perception is this is not the case right now.

I agree here. This was the error of the Christian right.
9/8/18 7:58 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Discussing politics on a discussion board is tricky and not my favorite thing to do, so I haven't had much (if anything) to say this week. I don't think it's really what's caused the board to decline so much, though. Certain voices dominated the board until others lost interest or got tired of arguing. It's been several things.

But mostly, it's been that we're not the only game in town anymore. There's at least one FB group that has thousands of COG pastors & others as members that has lively discussion/debate and general sharing of our lives, what's happening in our churches, etc. It's a lot like this group used to be, which is kinda sad. But in the FB groups, there are no pen names. You are who you are.

I think "saving America" is an important thing, as well as saving souls.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
9/8/18 10:27 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Guys, Our African American Christian brothers are all in with the Democrats - virtually no Republicans.

Isn't that a problem? How do we solve that?

I don't think letting politicians do as they wish is the answer - which goes back to the problem Jerry Falwell saw 45 years ago - when he felt there was a Moral Majority that could stem the tide.

The tide did not stop.

Morality continues to become non-existent.

What is the answer?
I surely don't know how to save America.
Perhaps it isn't God's will to save America.

I attend a multicultural church with a black pastor. We don't discuss politics, but it's my opinion that the issues that divide us politically are all related to racial issues. Every time there is something going on in this country that has a racial element, I see on FB that it is to a person related to race. There's a lot we don't understand about the black community/culture and their experiences. I have really tried to educate myself through listening to my liberal friends/their beliefs/culture as well as my black friends, whose experiences are very different than mine. All blacks are not liberals.

I don't want to debate this, but take the whole "Take a Knee" thing. White people DON'T get it! Most don't believe it is about racial injustice. They hear it's about the anthem & the flag and we don't hear anything else. (Please don't hijack the thread on this! Just using this as an example. If you want to discuss it more, start a thread.) And we are allowing it to divide us instead of finding a solution together.

In most racial things, I tend to stand back and observe, especially in the last year. I will not do anything that divides me from my brothers and sisters in Christ.

And for the record, it's not the Republicans who will save us. It's still Jesus.
9/8/18 10:54 am

Post Resident Skeptic
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Guys, Our African American Christian brothers are all in with the Democrats - virtually no Republicans.

Isn't that a problem? How do we solve that?

I don't think letting politicians do as they wish is the answer - which goes back to the problem Jerry Falwell saw 45 years ago - when he felt there was a Moral Majority that could stem the tide.

The tide did not stop.

Morality continues to become non-existent.

What is the answer?
I surely don't know how to save America.
Perhaps it isn't God's will to save America.

I attend a multicultural church with a black pastor. We don't discuss politics, but it's my opinion that the issues that divide us politically are all related to racial issues. Every time there is something going on in this country that has a racial element, I see on FB that it is to a person related to race. There's a lot we don't understand about the black community/culture and their experiences. I have really tried to educate myself through listening to my liberal friends/their beliefs/culture as well as my black friends, whose experiences are very different than mine. All blacks are not liberals.

I don't want to debate this, but take the whole "Take a Knee" thing. White people DON'T get it! Most don't believe it is about racial injustice. They hear it's about the anthem & the flag and we don't hear anything else. (Please don't hijack the thread on this! Just using this as an example. If you want to discuss it more, start a thread.) And we are allowing it to divide us instead of finding a solution together.

In most racial things, I tend to stand back and observe, especially in the last year. I will not do anything that divides me from my brothers and sisters in Christ.

And for the record, it's not the Republicans who will save us. It's still Jesus.

White cops are not disproportionately shooting unarmed blacks. But this is what the protest was all about.
9/8/18 1:27 pm

Post Decline of Actscelerate COGLayman
There are a couple of reasons... A few posters basically hijacked the board with constant nonsense for a long period of time. The posters evidently had a lot of fun but I think most other people got tired of that real quick.

Another thing I noticed was the nastiness of some posters toward others who they disagreed with. Can't we all just get along even if we disagree?
Friendly Face
9/22/18 8:20 pm

Post Re: Decline of Actscelerate Cojak
COGLayman wrote:
.... Can't we all just get along even if we disagree?

Ain't that the gospel. I remember old Rodney King saying about the same thing. I came aware of this from a 4 year old grandson in my back seat after I had said something, "Grandpa everyone has an opinion, that is what out brain is for"

So we (most of us) live and get along with Baptist, Presbyterians, Methodists, etc, without trying to slice off their heads. We all have opinions, when they are expressed, we can disagree without being disagreeable, can't we?

I have been married 62 years to the same woman. WE DO NOT (always) AGREE she has some 'odd' opinions (in my opinion) so we agree to disagree and stay together. We have too much in common to blow a good marriage.

Christians should be able to do the same, this is a great family, as old Rodney & COGlayman says, 'can't we just get along???' instead of trying to take the ball and going home. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/22/18 9:36 pm

Post sheepdogandy
All of the theological issues have been discussed to death.

No one has changed their mind on them.

ER is right, the Church of God Cleveland TN is not "going back".

Current events in politics seems to be all that is left.

By the way, whatever happened to "Checkered Past"?

www.spwc.church
9/23/18 9:15 am

Post US MALE
I'm a "newbie"now–– but, there was a time in the mid-late 90's when I was quite active on this board. We enjoyed lively debate, and sharing in personal banter. It was a lot of fun actually. Got to know some folks outside of the board as well.

I can't comment as to why activity has declined bc I haven't been here in quite sometime. I'm sure some of the comments previously stated have merit.

Anyway, it's nice to re-connect with everyone. And, just an FYI–– I'm much older now and have no desire to argue, or debate with anyone. But, I'll gladly share my humble opinion from time-to-time Wink
9/23/18 2:36 pm

Post Cojak
US MALE wrote:
I'm a "newbie"now–– but, there was a time in the mid-late 90's when I was quite active on this board. We enjoyed lively debate, and sharing in personal banter. It was a lot of fun actually. Got to know some folks outside of the board as well.

I can't comment as to why activity has declined bc I haven't been here in quite sometime. I'm sure some of the comments previously stated have merit.

Anyway, it's nice to re-connect with everyone. And, just an FYI–– I'm much older now and have no desire to argue, or debate with anyone. But, I'll gladly share my humble opinion from time-to-time Wink

sounds fair enough old newbie. Welcome back.....
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
9/23/18 4:34 pm

Post US MALE
Quote:
sounds fair enough old newbie. Welcome back.....

Don't know if I got the quote part of this correct (it's been awhile), but thank you, Cojak!
9/24/18 9:44 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic