Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Preaching tomorrow on, "You don't have to have the Holy Spirit"

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Preaching tomorrow on, "You don't have to have the Holy Spirit" JLarry
I am preaching at a non Pentecostal church tomorrow on the subject of "You Don't Have To Have The Holy Spirit".

I will let them know that they don't have to have Holy Spirit but they can have Holy Spirit.

I also plan to tell them they don't have to speak in tongues but the can speak in tongues once the receive Holy Spirit.

BTW, the pastor is Spirit Filled and wishes the entire church would receive Holy Spirit. Only he, his wife and two others are Spirit Filled.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
8/4/18 5:58 pm

Post philunderwood
They do not have to have the Holy Spirit or they do not have to be baptized in the Holy Spirit?

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/4/18 7:40 pm

Post Dave Dorsey
philunderwood wrote:
They do not have to have the Holy Spirit or they do not have to be baptized in the Holy Spirit?

This is an important question in light of Romans 8:9 and similar texts. Larry, with respect, I think you want to be careful with your words here and not imply that your audience does not have the Holy Spirit, or does not have to have Him.

I have prayed that you will have God's grace as you preach tomorrow!
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/4/18 7:53 pm

Post Thanks JLarry
Thanks guys. I will make it clear they do not have to have the baptism of the Holy Spirit. I have that in the title just left it off here.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
8/4/18 8:05 pm

Post Cojak
philunderwood wrote:

'ats picky Phil!' But you can slide this time.

Yeah I get it, I'm just being a smart alec! LOL

Growing up I never liked my front name which is 'jackie' a girl's name. Now
I know it might be unrighteous, but in that light I wonder does the discussion come up with God and the son, "Can we change my name?" It seems to confuse the very folk we love and loves us! Confused Embarassed

PS: We did finally get 'up to date' and seldom refer to the Holy Spirit as the Holy Ghost any more. Growing up in the COG that was a very contentious subject. One was sorta snooty if they used the term 'Holy Spirit' in a sermon!. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/5/18 2:25 pm

Post Bro Bob
I am disturbed to see that there are clear Bible teachings re: the Baptism of the Holy Ghost that we never practice, and we do not teach.

I know that statement alone gets under the skin of some. I am sorry for that. But the reason we don't have this discussion is because we fear offending a brother.

It is very hard to look right at my responsibility as a teacher of the word, not a position I sought or desired, and see something that is very clear, but I must be silent, when the Bible is anything but silent.

For years I was ignorant of many things. Because of that I am certain I still am ignorant and one day will kick myself for not seeing it. But it is irresponsible to have gained knowledge, and not share it in love.

I fear my excuse will not be sufficient.

BB
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
8/5/18 9:36 pm

Post Cojak
Bro Bob wrote:
I am disturbed to see that there are clear Bible teachings re: the Baptism of the Holy Ghost that we never practice, and we do not teach.

I know that statement alone gets under the skin of some. I am sorry for that. But the reason we don't have this discussion is because we fear offending a brother.

It is very hard to look right at my responsibility as a teacher of the word, not a position I sought or desired, and see something that is very clear, but I must be silent, when the Bible is anything but silent.

For years I was ignorant of many things. Because of that I am certain I still am ignorant and one day will kick myself for not seeing it. But it is irresponsible to have gained knowledge, and not share it in love.

I fear my excuse will not be sufficient.

BB

Much in your statement I agree with, BUT in my lifetime, I have known few who could share their true insights with LOVE. It was usually started with an insult and followed with strong verbal berating.

But my friend, you are right over all and we SHOULD learn to share/explain with love. I am sure out friend JLarry did just that. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/5/18 10:44 pm

Post Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit FG Minister
I did some research as to why it is primarily the KJV that uses the term Ghost while most all others use the word Spirit. It is the exact same word in the original, just different in translations. It appears that in the days of King James, the word "ghost" was not always connected to the spirit of a dead person and simply represented an unseen force.

However, as time went on, the word "ghost" was considered the essence of a dead person, while the word "spirit" is the essence of a living being. If this is true, and I believe that it is, the term Holy Spirit would be more appropriate. How do I know God's not dead and therefore not a ghost? Because there was a recent movie entitled God's Not Dead.
Acts-celerater
8/6/18 7:59 am

Post Didn't see this in time, but... Aaron Scott
One thing that might fit is something T.L. Lowery said one time:

"Someone asked me if they could get to heaven without the Holy Ghost [he was referring to the baptism, of course]. I said, 'I wouldn't want to go the 7-11 without the Holy Ghost!"

Ha!

As for "having the Holy Ghost" vs. "being baptized in the Holy Ghost," Paul asked some folks "Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?"

They were saved...but he was asked if they had received the Holy Ghost.

Yes, we all know the difference...but most folks also recognize that "having the Holy Ghost" tends to mean the Pentecostal thing nowadays.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/6/18 9:32 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic