Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Don’t Put numbers over safety... we need Biennial background checks

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Don’t Put numbers over safety... we need Biennial background checks SouthFloridaman
I would like to bring up some concerns I have about background checks at the assembly. My understanding is there is a push to water down the proposal for required background checks from every 2 years to only being mandatory when a pastor changes churches. There are concerns that beinnal check would knock a large number of those with low involvement off the licensed roles. I was told there are concerns about numbers declining because this requirement would require more accurate records. Some fear this decline in numbers would hurt the “Growth” portrait that the officials are trying to portray.

1. Putting numbers over safety will not protect the Church of God. What if a minister never changes churches? What about a minister that plants a church? What about those who do not go the traditional pastor route?
2. You mean to tell me someone who got an exhorter license in the 90’s never pursues a higher rank than exhorter is properly vetted? What if They just sit on there license until today and decides to plant a church? . This person is licensed with the COG..... who is checking on them???? Who is going to tell that person he cant plant a church till a background check is done? Who will background check them? They are licensed... how will bringing that church into the COG be handled? even if the Church don’t come in the cog the minister serving that church is still operating with a license and serving as a Church of God licensee even though he is operating outside of the system.

or what about those ministers who don’t change churches??? 10, 20, even 30yrs is along time not to hve a background check. What if they only pastor 1 church?

The only way to protect the church of God is to require all ministers to have there license renewed ever 2 years with background checks. If the minister doesn’t renew there license just make there license not valid until they renew there license.

The renewal program also protects pastors because the background check is handled by the state office and not the local church. The state office has a legal requirement to be discreet when there is a something unflattering in the background check that may not disqualify one from the ministry. I don’t believe a volunteer church board is capable of deciding if a man is fit for ministry.

The main reason the fight over background checks is happening is not over background checks. The fight is about numbers and the unrealistic standards the church of God requires for restoration when a minister falls morally. I think 2 year restoration is WAY to harsh. I would like the see the restoration period for a fallen minister be 1 year. The 2 year restoration is just way to restrictive it destroys a man. I would like to see a restoration program of one year. With a 2nd year of supervised ministry.

Background checks are coming wether we do it now or do it later after another bad thing happens.

Also would you send your kids to a school where the teacher is only background checked when they are hired???? I wouldn’t..... We already do yearly background checks for youth camps. Aren’t all pastors just as important to have the same background check requirements? I think so.

Last edited by SouthFloridaman on 6/23/18 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
6/20/18 11:13 pm

Post diakoneo
I appreciate your concern!

What about missionaries?
What about the 70ish year old retired pastor license holder who only peaches occasionally and who has an impeccable reputation?

I am sure if you look at the profile of the past problem pastors/leaders you would probably find some common element. Why make a broad sweeping rule (make grandma go through a strip search so to speak)and not just focus in on those who might cause problems?

I know these are not expensive but they are not free either. The background check itself will not be the issue, it will be administrative costs related to the check.

I think the local church should be completely responsible for the exhorter. They have set him forth and as such should be responsible for keeping up with him/her. I believe if this part changed most of the problems you are talking about would be taken care of.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/21/18 6:25 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
diakoneo wrote:

What about missionaries?
What about the 70ish year old retired pastor license holder who only peaches occasionally and who has an impeccable reputation?

And still becomes a registered sex offender at 70.
It happens.
In the COG.
In FL.

It is not very expensive. It should be done.
6/21/18 6:35 am

Post Carolyn Smith
From the 2018 Agenda:

XVI. Ministerial Position Criminal Background Checks
RATIONALE
:
In 2004,
the Church of God mandated that “All applicants for the ministry, including those advancing in rank, must give consent to the state/regional office to conduct criminal background checks” (See S21 IV. 6., page 95
—
Minutes).
Since that time, background checks for all persons in certain categories, such as those working with children and youth, have become a required part of ministry qualification. Given the accessibility, expectation,and prevalence of criminal background checks in today’s business and legal
communities, it is deemed helpful and necessary to expand this concept to all persons placed, appointed,or hired in local church congregation positions. While this might create possible cost concerns for churches or individuals involved, the benefits of conducting such background checks far outweigh any factors otherwise.

We recommend
:
That we amend page 108, S29. INSTRUCTIONS FOR
MINISTERS, I. General Instructions for Ministers, by
adding the following as item 11:
11. Any person placed/appointed/hired for a ministry position in a local congregation of the Church of God should have a criminal background
check.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/21/18 9:12 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Carolyn Smith wrote:
From the 2018 Agenda:

RATIONALE
:
In 2004,
the Church of God mandated that “All applicants for the ministry, including those advancing in rank, must give consent to the state/regional office to conduct criminal background checks” (See S21 IV. 6., page 95
—
Minutes).
Since that time, background checks for all persons in certain categories, such as those working with children and youth, have become a required part of ministry qualification. Given the accessibility, expectation,and prevalence of criminal background checks in today’s business and legal
communities, it is deemed helpful and necessary to expand this concept to all persons placed, appointed,or hired in local church congregation positions. While this might create possible cost concerns for churches or individuals involved, the benefits of conducting such background checks far outweigh any factors otherwise.

We recommend
:
11. Any person placed/appointed/hired for a ministry position in a local congregation of the Church of God should have a criminal background
check.

And the proposal SFman wants to make to that is: every two years (or every one year)
6/21/18 9:22 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
From the 2018 Agenda:

RATIONALE
:
In 2004,
—
Minutes).

We recommend
:
check.

And the proposal SFman wants to make to that is: every two years (or every one year)

So...isn't there a process for that? I don't think posting here is going to make much of a difference.
6/21/18 9:43 am

Post diakoneo
diakoneo wrote:

What about missionaries?

And still becomes a registered sex offender at 70.
It happens.
In the COG.
In FL.

It is not very expensive. It should be done.

Okay. I get that but what about the administrative costs? There are a LOT of exhorters running around out there. That is why I suggested the deal about the local church taking care of that and reporting it to state headquarters. As I recall the local church 'sets forth' exhorters. I think within two years if they have not moved forward in the licensing process they should have to start over.

Again, I believe the local churches need to have more "skin in the game" in this. They are far more capable of keeping tabs on what is going on in an Exhorter ministers life than some one in the state office.

I believe the minister's reputation in the community should be impeccable!

Also, missionaries...I know that is a small portion of the population but it should be addressed.
6/21/18 12:06 pm

Post SouthFloridaman
diakoneo wrote:

Okay. I get that but what about the administrative costs? There are a LOT of exhorters running around out there. That is why I suggested the deal about the local church taking care of that and reporting it to state headquarters. As I recall the local church 'sets forth' exhorters. I think within two years if they have not moved forward in the licensing process they should have to start over.

Again, I believe the local churches need to have more "skin in the game" in this. They are far more capable of keeping tabs on what is going on in an Exhorter ministers life than some one in the state office.

Also, missionaries...I know that is a small portion of the population but it should be addressed.

The church of God uses CDM+ for records it is an OLD program very combersome. There are some technology improvement that the demonination should make to save money.

That said.... the route I am talking would just cost us the process of adding the names to database.

Planning center online gives free access to its people platform. He people platform allows emails, address tracking and the option to purchase a background check.
I know a lot of our larger churches currently use this program. They can actually forward the charge to the person to pay for there own background checks. Most churches require the volunteers to pay for it. Planning center makes that process very easy.

Just set the program to place the background check payment responsibility on the minster. The cost is only 8 dollars. That is not some earth shattering expensive proposal. Plus we are modeling proper background checks for every church in our denomination. This is Immensely needed.

Just have every state create there own planning center account and have each state responsible for it. That way we divided the responsibility among each region instead of just being place squarely on Cleveland’s shoulders.

This is the people platform - it is free and easy
https://planning.center/people/

Here is how the background check feature works.
There is a very informative video On how it works
https://planning.center/2017/secure-your-church-with-background-checks/

This can very easily be translated to a denominational role.

Here is how to make the applicant for license renewal pay for the 8$ background check
https://planning.center/2017/background-checks-now-support-applicant-pay/
Friendly Face
6/21/18 12:23 pm

Post diakoneo
SouthFloridaman wrote:
diakoneo wrote:

The church of God uses CDM+ for records it is an OLD program very combersome. There are some technology improvement that the demonination should make to save money.

That said.... the route I am talking would just cost us the process of adding the names to database.

Planning center online gives free access to its people platform. He people platform allows emails, address tracking and the option to purchase a background check.
I know a lot of our larger churches currently use this program. They can actually forward the charge to the person to pay for there own background checks. Most churches require the volunteers to pay for it. Planning center makes that process very easy.

Just set the program to place the background check payment responsibility on the minster. The cost is only 8 dollars. That is not some earth shattering expensive proposal. Plus we are modeling proper background checks for every church in our denomination. This is Immensely needed.

Just have every state create there own planning center account and have each state responsible for it. That way we divided the responsibility among each region instead of just being place squarely on Cleveland’s shoulders.

This is the people platform - it is free and easy
https://planning.center/people/

Here is how the background check feature works.
There is a very informative video On how it works
https://planning.center/2017/secure-your-church-with-background-checks/

This can very easily be translated to a denominational role.

Here is how to make the applicant for license renewal pay for the 8$ background check
https://planning.center/2017/background-checks-now-support-applicant-pay/

Okay, thanks!

Very good!
6/21/18 2:27 pm

Post SouthFloridaman
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
From the 2018 Agenda:

RATIONALE
:
In 2004,
—
Minutes).

We recommend
:
check.

So...isn't there a process for that? I don't think posting here is going to make much of a difference.

The post prepares those for conversation at the general assembly. If I am wrong I would like someone to tell me why. Our organization wants to be so centralized on some issues but abandon responsible on others. If someone from Cleveland or on the state level would like to tell me why a annual or beinnal background check would not protect our wives and kids in our churches from sexual predators I don’t know what else would. The benefit also would mean better record keeping. I don’t know about you but CDM+ is an antiquated program that if we do not change soon it will hinder the church of God progress..
Friendly Face
6/23/18 11:31 am

Post Carolyn Smith
SouthFloridaman wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
From the 2018 Agenda:

RATIONALE
:
In 2004,
—
Minutes).

We recommend
:
check.

The post prepares those for conversation at the general assembly. If I am wrong I would like someone to tell me why. Our organization wants to be so centralized on some issues but abandon responsible on others. If someone from Cleveland or on the state level would like to tell me why a annual or beinnal background check would not protect our wives and kids in our churches from sexual predators I don’t know what else would. The benefit also would mean better record keeping. I don’t know about you but CDM+ is an antiquated program that if we do not change soon it will hinder the church of God progress..

Then you should do something to change it.
6/23/18 11:39 am

Post SouthFloridaman
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
From the 2018 Agenda:

RATIONALE
:
In 2004,
—
Minutes).

We recommend
:
check.

I don’t think you would have much luck talking about if on the floor or going through the process Carolyn 😉😉.

I think they would silence me if I did as well.
Friendly Face
6/25/18 11:28 am

Post SouthFloridaman
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
From the 2018 Agenda:

RATIONALE
:
In 2004,
—
Minutes).

We recommend
:
check.

I don’t think you would have much luck talking about if on the floor or going through the process Carolyn 😉😉. Unless bylaws change.

I think they would silence me if I did as well.
Friendly Face
6/25/18 11:29 am

Post MrSippi
SouthFloridaman wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
Carolyn Smith wrote:
From the 2018 Agenda:

RATIONALE
:
In 2004,
—
Minutes).

We recommend
:
check.

CDM+ is not an antiquated program. To the contrary. There is certainly a learning curve to it, but is considered the standard for larger churches. Planning Center is good for small groups, planning, and other features. However, it is not the best software other functions and does not even offer an accounting software.
Friendly Face
6/28/18 2:47 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
There are also free sexual offender sites in every state, from what I understand. The one that is available in my state shows offenders far and wide. You can see one that is 100 miles away as well as those who live on your street! (which might be a bit scary) but it's good to have the information available.
6/28/18 9:24 pm

Post SouthFloridaman
MrSippi wrote:
CDM+ is not an antiquated program. To the contrary. There is certainly a learning curve to it, but is considered the standard for larger churches. Planning Center is good for small groups, planning, and other features. However, it is not the best software other functions and does not even offer an accounting software.

I don’t care what program we use for accounting I was just trying to provide the COG a low cost option background checks. Considering some state youth camps have used planning center background checks for years. CDM+ is very dated the man reason it is stilled used is it was customized many years ago for the cog. We actually have a state office module of CDM+ but with that said yes it is OLDER THAN DIRT. On some machines you have to run a virtual desktop to operate it.
Friendly Face
6/28/18 11:14 pm

Post SouthFloridaman
just thought this should be bumped up Friendly Face
7/21/18 12:25 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic