Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

doctrine of sanctification defined

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post doctrine of sanctification defined auburntigerpastor
Can someone clearly explain the doctrine of sanctification and what the COG believes. New Member
7/19/18 11:47 am

Post The DoF is clear in many ways, but somewhat ambiguous regarding sanctification... Quiet Wyatt
My thought for many years has been that it would help if we clarified our doctrine of sanctification to state that we affirm (as Wesley himself affirmed) that initial sanctification commences at regeneration, and that entire sanctification logically follows subsequent to regeneration, at the latest, at the moment of death. I would think every Christian would agree with that.

As it stands now, the DoF sounds as if we don’t believe that a born again Christian is sanctified at all, even though Scripture says that without holiness, no one shall see God, and that it is the pure in heart who shall see God.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/19/18 12:20 pm

Post auburntigerpastor
Thanks I am a simpleton when it comes to this. I feel that the average person in the cog could not explain it if they had to do. For the other simpletons explain it for someone who is a recent convert. New Member
7/19/18 12:31 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
The way I explain sanctification is that it is a state of purity/holiness entered into upon conversion, in which the repentant sinner has been born from above, the Holy Spirit now living within, giving new, resurrection life to the believer. As the newborn disciple grows in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, he should at the same time grow in his understanding of sanctification, as he is progressively conformed into the image of Jesus Christ. Ideally, the growing, maturing believer will keep a holy heart as his ultimate intention. If the believer wavers in his intention and sins, the Spirit will be faithful to convict and reprove him, in kindness leading him to repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus, asking for forgiveness and restoration to the holy life he was always meant to walk in. At the moment of death, but perhaps sooner, if wholeheartedly sought, the faithful believer will realize entire sanctification. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/19/18 1:10 pm

Post Cojak
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
The way I explain sanctification is that it is a state of purity/holiness entered into upon conversion, in which the repentant sinner has been born from above, the Holy Spirit now living within, giving new, resurrection life to the believer. As the newborn disciple grows in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, he should at the same time grow in his understanding of sanctification, as he is progressively conformed into the image of Jesus Christ. Ideally, the growing, maturing believer will keep a holy heart as his ultimate intention. If the believer wavers in his intention and sins, the Spirit will be faithful to convict and reprove him, in kindness leading him to repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus, asking for forgiveness and restoration to the holy life he was always meant to walk in. At the moment of death, but perhaps sooner, if wholeheartedly sought, the faithful believer will realize entire sanctification.

Again my friend you have explained it well. And yes, we need an explanation (such as your comment) somehow in our declaration of faith that can be accepted by our majority! For years I have thought we are amiss on our stand and explanation of same. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
7/19/18 9:59 pm

Post sheepdogandy
To put it simply.

“SANCTIFICATION, is a relationship with God that enables a Christian to make their flesh behave.”

Kenny Morris

The best explanation I have yet to hear. Very Happy

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/20/18 10:06 am

Post JLarry
When I reported numbers under sanctification I counted those who were saved.
The AG is right about sanctification. It is a work in process.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
7/20/18 6:41 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
To be sanctified means "to be set apart for a holy purpose, from sin unto God." When we taught it to kids, we used a story about using Ma's good china in the china cabinet. The china was just to be used for Sunday dinner and special occasions. You wouldn't take that good china outside and play in the mudhole with it. It was to be used for a special purpose, and when we become saved, we are set apart like that - to be used for God's purposes and not for sin.

We also taught kids that it was God giving us the power to say no to sin. That when we are tempted to sin, God gives us the power to say no to sin. We don't have to give in to temptation - we can just say no!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/20/18 11:53 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic