Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

YES. Discuss whether YOU FEEL it is OK to preach at Jimmy's church or not.

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post YES. Discuss whether YOU FEEL it is OK to preach at Jimmy's church or not. doyle
One of our Monitors removed a discussion thread concerning whether this-or-that official/minister should preach at Jimmy Swaggart's church.

The Monitor was correct in removing it because the thread had disintegrated into personal attacks and regurgitating old hatreds. Swaggart messed up. How many years has that been public knowledge now?

We often preach or sing from the Book of Psalms. The writer of that Book
lusted, killed a woman's husband so said Writer could have her for himself. He continued to live with her and had children by her (the wife of the soldier whom he killed to have her).

Apostle Peter denied Jesus three times and "wept bitterly." About 50 days later, Peter preached a sermon on the Day of Pentecost with 3,000 people saved. Should people refuse to preach from Psalms or read what Peter wrote? After all, they were flawed individuals. So am I, and so are you. Yet, God continues to use us. I'm still surprised most days that God even lets me be associated with Him - let alone preach the Gospel.

Soooooo, yes! It is completely in order to discuss how YOU FEEL about someone else, or yourself, preaching at Jimmy's church. However, after all these years, personal attacks are unnecessary and unacceptable.
Self-righteousness does not wear well on any of us.

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com
6/18/18 12:48 pm

Post I would preach the Gospel there... roughridercog
Or anywhere the opportunity presented itself.
6/18/18 9:04 pm

Post Not only would I preach at FWC, FLRon
I'd love to sing with that band behind me! There's some serious talent there.
6/18/18 9:17 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
For my peace of mind, preaching there would depend on three things:

1. Whether I sensed I had liberty to preach whatever God laid on my heart. I’m pretty sure what I preach would not be appreciated in Swaggartdom.

2. Whether my preaching there might be seen as an endorsement of Swaggart’s ministry. I believe it would.

3. Whether I knew Jimmy Swaggart had genuinely repented. I see no evidence that he has, based on what comes out of his mouth on his show, so no, I could not, in good conscience, preach there myself, or be in any way affiliated with him.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/18/18 9:21 pm

Post Re: Not only would I preach at FWC, MoonWalkingWithJesus
FLRon wrote:

There is talent in the Mormon tabernacle choir. But it doesn’t mean They are right. I know jimmy is not a Mormon, but just because someone’s preference and legisms are your own doesn’t mean it’s right. This board has been a place to pick apart many a minister. Just look at Shane Vaughn... but the hypocrisy is deafening. We need to remove any post on here that involves a minster if that is the case. Remove every post on BILL Cosby having a PhD for that matter.
Friendly Face
6/18/18 10:05 pm

Post Re: YES. Discuss whether YOU FEEL it is OK to preach at Jimmy's church or not. MoonWalkingWithJesus
doyle wrote:
One of our Monitors removed a discussion thread concerning whether this-or-that official/minister should preach at Jimmy Swaggart's church.

The Monitor was correct in removing it because the thread had disintegrated into personal attacks and regurgitating old hatreds. Swaggart messed up. How many years has that been public knowledge now?

We often preach or sing from the Book of Psalms. The writer of that Book
lusted, killed a woman's husband so said Writer could have her for himself. He continued to live with her and had children by her (the wife of the soldier whom he killed to have her).

Apostle Peter denied Jesus three times and "wept bitterly." About 50 days later, Peter preached a sermon on the Day of Pentecost with 3,000 people saved. Should people refuse to preach from Psalms or read what Peter wrote? After all, they were flawed individuals. So am I, and so are you. Yet, God continues to use us. I'm still surprised most days that God even lets me be associated with Him - let alone preach the Gospel.

Soooooo, yes! It is completely in order to discuss how YOU FEEL about someone else, or yourself, preaching at Jimmy's church. However, after all these years, personal attacks are unnecessary and unacceptable.
Self-righteousness does not wear well on any of us.

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com

I respect you Doyle. thank you for creating a space for conversation. With that said I don’t think I said anything that has not Been discussed before about different ministers. I also hear folks on here say what the prostitute said jimmy said about her daughter was disproven. That is not true. The reason the news media did not push the prostitutes story was because of the court case of Jerry Falwell vs Larry Flint. Better known by the movie name the people vs Larry Flint. That court case went all the way to the Supreme Court. At the time the laws were very vague about what you could or could not say. Also it was one of those things that if Jimmy Swaggart did sue it would cost the networks that published the story millions in legal fees Jimmy Swaggart also had the money to pay lawyers to fight. so they were very careful to wait on story until the Supreme Court decided the case.
6/18/18 10:24 pm

Post Preaching at Swaggart's not the point Restorationman
This whole conversation about Bro. Hill preaching at FWC for Jimmy Swaggart has gotten in my opinion out of control. First of all, Tim Hill is not just the General Overseer of a denomination, he is a minister of the gospel. He has preached for so many others outside the denomination, yet this one at Swaggart's gets people fired up. This is not about being Church of God, Assembly of God, or Free will Baptist, this is about Kingdom Connection, Kingdom building, and Kingdom healing. None of us have the right to say that Swaggart has not repented, nor do we have the right to criticize or judge. It's all about Kingdom work, and Bro. Hill did a fantastic job. We should not or ever hold anything against someone who has sinned and fallen while in the ministry. WE are to go to them, and restore them. Galatians 6:1 Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself..

God is building and repairing the Kingdom!!! Let's all get on board!!!!
Friendly Face
6/21/18 8:20 am

Post Amen ! Ronald
Amen and amen! Friendly Face
6/21/18 6:13 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Please note, I gave my reasons why I would not feel free to minister at Swaggart’s place. I cannot of course speak for anyone else, least of all, for our General Overseer. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/21/18 8:02 pm

Post Re: Not only would I preach at FWC, FLRon
MoonWalkingWithJesus wrote:
FLRon wrote:

There is talent in the Mormon tabernacle choir. But it doesn’t mean They are right. I know jimmy is not a Mormon, but just because someone’s preference and legisms are your own doesn’t mean it’s right. This board has been a place to pick apart many a minister. Just look at Shane Vaughn... but the hypocrisy is deafening. We need to remove any post on here that involves a minster if that is the case. Remove every post on BILL Cosby having a PhD for that matter.

I assure you that Jimmy's preferences, whatever that means, are not the same as my own. The entire Swaggart kingdom seems to be built upon a bedrock of legalism,however that would not dissuade me from preaching there. What would cause me to decline an invitation would be them/him forbidding me to preach what the Lord had given me to say.
6/21/18 9:19 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
When I preach at FWC, I'll be sure to let everyone know.
6/21/18 9:50 pm

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Lol 😂
6/21/18 10:34 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
MoonWalkingWithJesus wrote:
Resident Skeptic wrote:

Lol 😂

No, seriously. I really think it might happen! haha Probably after the old man dies, though.
6/22/18 9:37 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I was responding to Doyle’s proposed hypothetical:
Quote:
“ Soooooo, yes! It is completely in order to discuss how YOU FEEL about someone else, or yourself, preaching at Jimmy's church.

I of course know that it is infinitesimally unlikely that I would ever be asked to preach at Jimmy’s place.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/22/18 11:33 am

Post Link
I used to go to FWC back before the scandal in the 1980's.

Do any of you consider FWC to be heretics or people in sin with whom you are not allowed to fellowship or keep company?

I've preached in a prison before.
6/22/18 8:59 pm

Post Could Jimmy be ordained by Church of God excellentposter
Since Jimmy Swaggart did not go through a restoration process with the Assembly of God, could he be ordained by the Church of God? Friendly Face
6/23/18 7:34 am

Post Carolyn Smith
Bishop Hill posted within a FB group his reasons for preaching at FWC. In short, he said it was to build bridges. That sure makes a lot more sense than burning them. He had the opportunity to preach the gospel on a widely watched television network - why would he not take that?

I think we should have enough respect for the leader of our denomination not to question his motives.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/23/18 10:55 am

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
The post was to alert people that jimmy swaggert could be the Bill Cosby of the church world.. YES IT IS SAID. Who may be a victim? Not only that he accused of going a step forward and had an extremely inappropriate comment about how “developed” a person’s 9 year old daughter was. Yes this is concerning. I get that for those born before 1970 and in/from the rural Deep South are not concern because grand mama and others where that old when they got married or what not.... but it is 2018 and those outside of the sticks are concerned and those born after 1970 are concerned . Laws and policies have changed just look at Roy Moore. At one time 30-40 years ago in Alabama what Roy Moore was accused of was unfortunately LEGAL. I am just saying.
6/23/18 2:40 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic