Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Non-ordained Wedding Officiants?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Non-ordained Wedding Officiants? excellentposter
I have been informed that a number of my acquaintances have been performing legal weddings for family members without ministry ordination or being an allowable court member such as a judge or justice of the peace.

Is that allowable in your state? As an ordained bishop, do you have to register with your county as a wedding officiant?
Friendly Face
6/21/18 7:54 am

Post Dave Dorsey
They probably have an “ordination” from an Internet site. You can get ordained from a legal “ministry” organization in pretty much every state usually for just a few bucks. From the standpoint of the state, it’s as legit as your license is. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/21/18 8:02 am

Post Da Sheik
Dave Dorsey wrote:
They probably have an “ordination” from an Internet site. You can get ordained from a legal “ministry” organization in pretty much every state usually for just a few bucks. From the standpoint of the state, it’s as legit as your license is.

What he said! I know a guy with no formal education or training whatsoever who got "ordained" online because he discovered there were a few extra dollars in the wedding business. He actually started a side business in a coastal area. He officiates the weddings, his wife does the floral arrangements and directs, and his children do photography/video. During the summer months, he rakes in quite a few shillings.
Acts Enthusiast
6/21/18 9:51 am

Post Anybody FG Minister
In the state where I live, anybody 18 or above can conduct a wedding. Acts-celerater
6/21/18 11:00 am

Post Christian weddings Mat
We may have to do as the Russian Pentecostals did under communism. There were so many state marriages and divorces, the Pentecostals only recognized church marriage (before a Christian minister) as binding.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/21/18 11:14 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
In Florida - you get a piece of paper signed by two witnesses and recorded at the courthouse - you are married. No need for officiant. SO I guess anyone can officiate.
6/21/18 12:21 pm

Post philunderwood
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
In Florida - you get a piece of paper signed by two witnesses and recorded at the courthouse - you are married. No need for officiant. SO I guess anyone can officiate.

I am in Florida and I do not see that on the licenses that I have to sign and make sure are recorded. I am also part of a Wedding Vendor group that requires our credentials. Is this new, so old that no one remembers or just largely unknown?

By the way, my 26 yr old daughter is a licensed minister solely to do weddings. I roll my eyes at her and tell her she has no business solemnizing a marriage, but she is 26 and otherwise an amazing young lady, so I am not her controller.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
6/22/18 3:32 pm

Post FLRon
I used to work with a guy that sent off to one of those online “ministry” sites and got his ordination certificate. He uses it to marry anybody that asks, for a fee of course. In December he dons his Santa Claus suit to make money as well so I guess he’s trying to cover all of his bases. Rolling Eyes
6/22/18 4:51 pm

Post Link
philunderwood wrote:

By the way, my 26 yr old daughter is a licensed minister solely to do weddings. I roll my eyes at her and tell her she has no business solemnizing a marriage, but she is 26 and otherwise an amazing young lady, so I am not her controller.

Do you see this as a doctrinal issue?

I can't find Christian ministers solemnizing weddings in the Bible. In the Old Testament, I can't find priests doing it either. Boaz got some elders involved on time, and that was also a land deal and they served as witnesses.

In the Old Testament, it seems to have been an arrangement between the father of the bride, the bride, the groom, possibly the parents of the groom. The larger community would have been involved in the party.

It seems as if the Roman pagan wedding got Christianized, and within several hundred years, it came to be seen as a requirement for a priest to perform a wedding ceremony. Now there are Protestant pastors who think they have the power to 'bind together' because the verse 'what God has bound together let no man put assunder' gets quoted in some wedding ceremonies.

For me a doctrinal issue that relates to the Bible would be if the bride's father does not agree to the wedding to give her in marriage. The New Testament also mentions giving in marriage. Yet some Christians do not care about that, but only consider a wedding legitimate if there is the extra-biblical traditional element of an ordained minister performing the ceremony.
6/22/18 8:57 pm

Post philunderwood
Link wrote:
Quote:
Do you see this as a doctrinal issue?

No, solely a personal preference and gut feeling about overseeing covenant-making.

Discover More...
http://www.refocusing.org

A Mission in Formation
www.bluewaterinthekeys.com
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
6/22/18 9:50 pm

Post "What God has joined together" Mat
Let's face it, few wedding/marriages today rise to the level of "what God has joined together." Most brides wears white, even it its her fourth marriage in a Vegas wedding chapel, and Grooms put more effort into the Bachelor Party than they do the wedding ceremony.

The Church tries to sanctify the current marriage, extends comfort in the inevitable divorce, then encourages the process to repeat itself without looking at the root issues or being alarmed by the number of such marriages individual are accumulating.

Marriage and Christianity are two different things now-a-days.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/23/18 7:16 am

Post Dave Dorsey
Wanting women to wear off-white for a second wedding so everyone knows they're impure is a really bizarre and unnecessary form of social shaming. What if they left abusive or adulterous spouses?

I agree with you aside from that, Mat, but the whole off-white thing has always struck me as very strange.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/23/18 8:37 am

Post I preformed weddings ... Mat
Dave Dorsey wrote:
Wanting women to wear off-white for a second wedding so everyone knows they're impure is a really bizarre and unnecessary form of social shaming. What if they left abusive or adulterous spouses?

I agree with you aside from that, Mat, but the whole off-white thing has always struck me as very strange.

I preformed weddings where the bride wears a variety of different colors, including red (it was Valentine's Day) and yes, even white for the second time around. What concerns me is the "yes to the dress" focus on the cultural trappings of romance and weddings, with little attention to the spiritual and Biblical issues. In our culture, the white wedding dress is just that, a white dress.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
6/23/18 8:59 am

Post Link
Dave Dorsey wrote:

You don't have to look at it that way. Wearing white to honor virginity does not mean shaming nonvirgins. If a woman were getting married a second time, it's implied that she is likely not a virgin. Other nonvirgins might feel ashamed not wearing white. But no one enforces the color rule.

When my wife and I got married in Indonesia, the white dress isn't associated with virginity in the local consciousness like it is in the US. A lot of women wear colorful traditional costumes. But we were doing an 'international' wedding with a bridal service that rented dresses. My wife liked the design of a dress, but it was kind of off-white. I didn't mind which dress so much, as long as it was white. We had tried a lot of dresses, and the lady who owned the bridal service was refusing to show any more dresses. Finally, though, the bridal lady pulled out a white dress similar to the one my wife had chosen, and she liked that one.
6/24/18 8:25 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
philunderwood wrote:
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

I am in Florida and I do not see that on the licenses that I have to sign and make sure are recorded. I am also part of a Wedding Vendor group that requires our credentials. Is this new, so old that no one remembers or just largely unknown?

I don't think anything is new.
I just know if you want the state to recognize the wedding - you record it at the courthouse. Wasn't that the whole fight over gay "marriage"? Gays wanted their marriages to be recognized by the state, right?

I did leave out one item - the license has to be notorized - so a notary has to be seen sometime before recording the license.

Your daughter could have just gotten her notary license - and been "official" enough to perform the wedding (in Florida).
6/25/18 9:57 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic