Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Can They Hear You? Little Pulpit Annoyances

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Can They Hear You? Little Pulpit Annoyances diakoneo
Pastors and preachers: have you listened critically to any of your sermons? Little habits that we have picked up (hacking in between phrases) can be detrimental to the message you desire to deliver. Saying, "look over at your neighbor and say _______" too often can lead to audience waiting for the next "look at your neighbor." rather than listening to what God has given you.

Prayer is VERY important and just as important is PREPARATION! If there are some points, then we should know what they are. If there are actions we should take, we should know them. If there is a conclusion, please make it. Smile

Any thoughts??

Last edited by diakoneo on 6/17/18 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/17/18 7:31 am

Post Re: Can They Hear You? Little Pulpit Annoyances Cojak
diakoneo wrote:
Pastors and preachers: have you listened critically to any of your sermons? Little habits that we have picked up (hacking in between phrases) can be detrimental to the message you desire to deliver. Saying, "look over at your neighbor and say _______" too often can lead to audience waiting for the next "look at your neighbor." rather than listening to what God has given you.

Prayer is VERY important and just as important is PREPARATION! If there are some points, then we should know what they are. If there are actions we should take, we should know. If there is a conclusion, please make it. Smile

Any thoughts??

I told my pastor once (he was kin) if I repeated what I though you said I would be repeating some 'bad' words.

But the super detractor is MY emphasis above. 'you only need ONE statement like 'In closing' not several. Once the congregation is standing, 'Please find that conclusion!' Smile Smile Smile
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/17/18 8:09 am

Post Da Sheik
You nailed it ! I’ve been saying this for years now. Back in the late 90’s we had a television ministry on a local cable access channel. I decided to actually watch one of the broadcasts one evening. Didn’t take long for me to see some areas that needed immediate improvement! Embarassed

I know education is the proverbial whipping post here, but I think it would benefit every pastor to take at least one class on public speaking. The anointing of God is not hindered by refining your delivery of the message. I think most would find that it enhances their ministry.
Acts Enthusiast
6/19/18 10:20 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Forcing yourself to watch a video of your sermon clears up a lot. Do that a few times - and you will definitely be better the next week.
6/19/18 11:40 am

Post Re: Can They Hear You? Little Pulpit Annoyances Carolyn Smith
diakoneo wrote:

Any thoughts??

I HATE it when a pastor does this, especially repeatedly! I did not come to church to chat with my neighbor!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/19/18 9:29 pm

Post Link
Da Sheik wrote:
You nailed it ! I’ve been saying this for years now. Back in the late 90’s we had a television ministry on a local cable access channel. I decided to actually watch one of the broadcasts one evening. Didn’t take long for me to see some areas that needed immediate improvement! Embarassed

I know education is the proverbial whipping post here, but I think it would benefit every pastor to take at least one class on public speaking. The anointing of God is not hindered by refining your delivery of the message. I think most would find that it enhances their ministry.

I did a public access show for a few years ending a couple of years back. I did not have access to the TV channel I was on, and was too busy to watch myself online. But my show did come on once on the one day of the month I went in to record.

I heard a recording of myself my first time behind a pulpit. It was a bit painful to listen to.
6/20/18 4:35 am

Post diakoneo
Link wrote:

I heard a recording of myself my first time behind a pulpit. It was a bit painful to listen to.

Yes, it is. I don't think it is as painful for the folks , though🤡 otherwise there would be nobody there lol.

Remember, though "no pain, no gain"
6/20/18 10:05 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
I detest "fillers" too. Friendly Face
6/20/18 1:24 pm

Post So if you are visiting a church... diakoneo
Would these annoyances keep you from coming back??? Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/20/18 10:20 pm

Post Re: So if you are visiting a church... Cojak
diakoneo wrote:
Would these annoyances keep you from coming back???

Yes, and they have. We will be looking for a new church when we return to Florida. The 'give to get' ceremony before every offering is distracting to me.

"I am giving, I will now find money, receive money in the mail, inherit money...etc"

I was taught to give and He would supply my needs. He has. If I never had any returns I would still give..... Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/21/18 8:45 am

Post Re: So if you are visiting a church... Da Sheik
Cojak wrote:

"I am giving, I will now find money, receive money in the mail, inherit money...etc"

I was taught to give and He would supply my needs. He has. If I never had any returns I would still give..... Cool

No doubt, the minister in question is merely parroting some catch phrase he heard from his favorite WoF preacher.
Acts Enthusiast
6/21/18 9:46 am

Post Re: So if you are visiting a church... diakoneo
Cojak wrote:
diakoneo wrote:
Would these annoyances keep you from coming back???

Yes, and they have. We will be looking for a new church when we return to Florida. The 'give to get' ceremony before every offering is distracting to me.

It is funny you should mention this. I heard this for the first time Sunday at a church we visited.
6/21/18 11:51 am

Post FLRon
“Turn to the person on your right and say....now turn to the person on your left and say...”

Just heard this Wednesday night. Sometimes I don’t know what keeps me in my seat when I want to walk out!
6/22/18 5:00 pm

Post diakoneo
FLRon wrote:
“Turn to the person on your right and say....now turn to the person on your left and say...”

Just heard this Wednesday night. Sometimes I don’t know what keeps me in my seat when I want to walk out!

Yeah that is REALLY lame when you are in a large church with a small congregation... Embarassed
6/23/18 6:20 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic