Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

This Bugs me! Is there a good answer?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post This Bugs me! Is there a good answer? Cojak
We have a wonderful home church and a very good pastor. As in many churches today (not just COG), attendance on Sunday night and Wednesday night is very poor, at times 18-30.

Is there away to draw this scattered number 'TOGETHER' rather than being scattered over a 200 seat auditorium? To be honest my wife and I still sit in the same place (As do the rest of the attendants) that we occupy on Sunday morning.

Now once a month there is some special 'theme' when we meet in the smaller fellowship hall. I think most folk like it, but it leaves the problem of directing 'late comers' to the fellowship hall.

What do you do? (if you have that problem?) Shocked

(Or is it a problem?) Embarassed

Last edited by Cojak on 5/24/18 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/24/18 10:23 pm

Post Cojak
I have thought about some type of curtains in the sanctuary.

I say that only because once we visited the church Travis pastored in Homestead when they met in a movie theater. They had it so laid out you would NEVER know you were in a huge theater. I know it took a lot of effort, but it worked like a charm.

I have tried to see that in a sanctuary, but I cannot. Embarassed
5/24/18 10:27 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
When people have scattered all over the church (to the point that it's distracting or not practical), our pastor used to just ask everyone to please sit on the same side. It wasn't an issue. He'd ask them to move together and they did.

It's good your pastor doesn't want to make waves but maybe he doesn't feel comfortable asking folks to move. Some folks are very particular about their seats! Maybe you could mention it to one of the leaders in the church & see if they think people would accept the idea. If so, maybe one of you could suggest it to the pastor. Or even just say one night, "Hey, why don't we all sit on one side tonight?" and see how it goes?

We also removed chairs and spread them out differently - 3 sections of chairs, 2 sections of chairs; we even made a big circle a few times and left it like that a couple of weeks. It forces people out of their comfort zone. If they don't like it...they'll get over it! Sometimes mixing things up is a good thing to do. The room feels fuller when you have 50 chairs that are mostly filled. You can always put more chairs back.

There is a psychological effect of having a small number of people in a larger building that can be discouraging. Maybe you could also spend some time with the pastor and give him some encouragement. That is usually very much appreciated in a smaller congregation.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/24/18 11:43 pm

Post Chicago27
Just ask everybody to please come up to the front and don’t use a mic. Make it where they have to come closer in order to hear. Friendly Face
5/25/18 6:40 am

Post FLRon
Or you could try doing what a former past did to solve this problem. Imagine a 400 seat auditorium with 25 people scattered throughout. His solution? He literally roped off major sections, forcing everyone to sit together in the front center of the sanctuary. This lasted all of one service after one of the dear sisters climbed over the rope to get to her normal seat.

I've found that it's easier to just go with the flow in these situations. This past Wednesday I preached to a small congregation scattered all over the place. I just focused on the ones closest to me and that seems to be what works for me.
5/25/18 7:33 am

Post It's the "BB in a Bathtub" Effect Aaron Scott
I have speculated that one reason the Upper Room was prepared for the Holy Ghost to fall was precisely BECAUSE there was such energy and expectation in the room.

When I was in a music group three centuries ago, I would FAR rather play in a church that seated 40, but had 60...than in a church that had 300, but seated 3000. There is energy and excitement, it seems, when you get that many people into a smaller space.

To talk quietly and hope people will move up? I'm afraid there are people who not only would come to Sunday School if the anti-Christ was teaching, but who really could care less what is being said. They are just those that think faithfulness is being there in body.

There are several possible solutions that I have used in the past....

1) A week before, mention that you'd like to have everyone start sitting together so we enjoy each other's company or some such. On the night of, mention it again (sometimes it is a good idea to couple this with "Let's take a few moments to greet each other while we are making our way to this side--to the back--this corner, etc.").

2) Before anyone arrives, place the lectern well toward the back of the church. Put a Bible on it so people know it's not there by accident. Thus, if there are 15 rows, you place your lectern in the aisle at, say, row 12. If someone insists on sitting on row 7, encourage them to "group together" with the others. If they don't want to, let them enjoy your back while you teach the others. Also, you can place the lectern in the MIDDLE of a row, which signals that you will be standing there (again, toward the back, since if you do it at the front, they may all be spread from here to yon). In the middle of the row can help people know where you want them to be.

3) Go to a Sunday School room or the fellowship hall, etc. OR THE CHOIR! The smaller the group, the more intimate the setting needs to be, I think.

I'm not at all an expert, but those are some things that have worked for us over the years.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/25/18 9:48 am

Post Cojak
I am filing these ideas away for future use and suggestions. I will first of all talk to some of the regular members to plant some ideas.

Since our pastor is relatively new as our 'Senior Pastor' I have learned over the years whether in the Religious world or the Military if the organization is operating 'fairly well as is' it is wise to continue until the leader has the respect of the followers. But it still bugs me. LOL

I did like Aaron's comments, one struck a bell of folks who think 'faithfulness is 'just being' there'.

Also his reference to his experience 3 centuries ago! LOL
5/25/18 7:31 pm

Post Da Sheik
I would try to get everyone to sit together in the same section. The empty seat/ empty-pew is demoralizing to both the pastor and the congregation. Acts Enthusiast
5/28/18 9:55 pm

Post Cojak
Da Sheik wrote:
I would try to get everyone to sit together in the same section. The empty seat/ empty-pew is demoralizing to both the pastor and the congregation.
Thumb Up Thumb Up

Roger that! Cool
5/28/18 10:32 pm

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
May be move to a smaller room in the church such as a fellowship hall.
6/3/18 3:03 pm

Post Link
I heard a story about a pastor who installed some high-tech equipment in the church so that the pews in the back would go under the floor and come up in the front. People came in and sat in the back. The pastor pushed a button, the back row goes down in the back and comes back up in the front row.

The preacher preached for a while, then the clock hit 12:00. The deacon board had installed a device, too. So when the clock hit 12:01 and the pastor wasn't done, he hit a button, a trap door under the pastor opened up, and the whole church went out to Ryans.
6/3/18 10:11 pm

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
Good one
6/4/18 1:58 pm

Post Cojak
Link wrote:
I heard a story about a pastor who installed some high-tech equipment in the church so that the pews in the back would go under the floor and come up in the front. People came in and sat in the back. The pastor pushed a button, the back row goes down in the back and comes back up in the front row.

The preacher preached for a while, then the clock hit 12:00. The deacon board had installed a device, too. So when the clock hit 12:01 and the pastor wasn't done, he hit a button, a trap door under the pastor opened up, and the whole church went out to Ryans.
Cool Idea
6/4/18 9:33 pm

Post It doesn't matter to THEM! Amonine
No disrespect intended to anyone. I know two men who have been pastoring for approximately 40 years each. It doesn't matter to them where people sit. Both pastors are blind. Member
6/5/18 5:53 am

Post Re: It doesn't matter to THEM! Cojak
Amonine wrote:
No disrespect intended to anyone. I know two men who have been pastoring for approximately 40 years each. It doesn't matter to them where people sit. Both pastors are blind.

No disrespect here either 'A' , BUT I can see, and so can anyone attending. It just makes for a more comfortable worship methinks.

To our pastors credit. Two Sunday nights ago he did ask the every one that would to sit in the center section. IT worked for one night. Last Sunday night the left side all moved to the center, but the right stayed the same. LOL.

NO I had not said a word to the pastor about how I felt. I also do not think he follows Acts. But of course he should. All pastors should. hahaha

Love ya Amon--- Wink
6/11/18 10:26 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic