Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Craziest 'Clothes Line' or Grooming Teaching you Have Heard

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Craziest 'Clothes Line' or Grooming Teaching you Have Heard Link
Looking back on it, what is the strangest, craziest, most unbiblical, etc. teaching on 'outward appearance' issues you have heard or read about.

I understand the Bible actually mentions gold and pearls and people interpret those verses in different ways. What about some of the other teachings you have heard?

I read about a pastor who preached against stockings without seams. He said if your hose didn't have a seam, to draw one on.

I saw a Oneness blog who asked what young Pentecostal preachers were trying to prove by having a beard. He did not like to see beards on Pentecostal preachers.

I had a conversation with some Fire Baptized Holiness who thought a plastic wrist watch should be forbidden, but a silver pocket watch (not gold) was okay. I found out later that one of them drove a yellow Corvette.
6/3/18 10:34 pm

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
There was this church that made women wear a head covering and they walked around with prayer coverings for there head when ever they prayed. I found that strange
6/4/18 1:56 pm

Post sheepdogandy
I heard a man preach against shiny ties.

You got it, I was a wearing one.

I sat there thinking, "I will never get this time back". Embarassed

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/4/18 2:01 pm

Post Eddie Robbins
I have told y’all that my Mother was turned out of the COG when she was 12 for not wearing hose.

I remember when my Dad decided to get a wedding band, which was a big deal. I also remember when he went out on the line and wore a light blue shirt instead of a white one under his suit.
Acts-pert Poster
6/4/18 3:00 pm

Post FLRon
I had a pastor tell me I couldn’t preach because I had a mustache.
I know a slew of people that were forbidden to wear wedding bands or any other type of “adornments”.
Then there was the church that handed out handkerchiefs to ladies they thought needed to cover up certain body parts.
6/4/18 8:36 pm

Post Link
sheepdogandy wrote:
I heard a man preach against shiny ties.

You got it, I was a wearing one.

I sat there thinking, "I will never get this time back". Embarassed

That's why it's always a good idea to bring your Bible to church, just in case you need something to read.
6/4/18 9:10 pm

Post Link
MoonWalkingWithJesus wrote:
There was this church that made women wear a head covering and they walked around with prayer coverings for there head when ever they prayed. I found that strange

As with the wearing of gold and pearls, at least there is some scripture they are interpreting when they do that.
6/4/18 9:11 pm

Post Cojak
The French cuffs from the 50's I heard my dad talking to another pastor who had gold cuff links and a gold tie clasp. the pastor asked my dad how he kept his tie down. dad turned his tie out showing a safety pin inside his shirt. He also had french cuffs and mom had sewn two buttons together for his cuff links. Dad said, "I cannot in good conscience back teaching that some say prevent jewelry on our ladies, while wearing unnecessary jewelry my self. But that is just me."

My dad knew how dogmatic I WAS as a young man. He drove 1000 miles out of his way to tell me about the wedding band because he loved the COG and was worried I would leave the church. I was still married 30 years before I got my wife a wedding band. Yeah, I was sure the COG was right hallelujah to the Lamb. The COG would not teach enforce something not in the Bible, would they? (Course not)

I just knew it was a sin for a woman to wear one of 'em fancy combs in their hair.
AND forbid the thought of Cutting or Bobbing hair! Embarassed Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/4/18 9:46 pm

Post jeremiah2911_4me
I have an uncle by marriage that is well known in Western NC COG so I wont mention his name....

but he always says we had to put skirts around the pianos cause the piano players stopped wearing them..... LOL

Then I had one evangelist say not too long ago at my church

I'm not a clothesline preacher at all....my God I wish the women would take the clothes off the line and put them back on LOL
Acts-celerater
6/7/18 10:00 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
Years ago, I had a Oneness friend who tried to argue that Jesus’ beard that they plucked out was actually just stubble. 😀 [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/7/18 11:22 am

Post Link
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
Years ago, I had a Oneness friend who tried to argue that Jesus’ beard that they plucked out was actually just stubble. 😀

Kind of reminds me of how some Pentecostals try to argue for teetotalarism when faced with certain Bible passages.
6/10/18 10:37 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
We joined the COG in the 70's in Florida and they weren't real strict. We moved later to NC.
The new Pastor would not take me in as a member because of my wedding band - just a plain gold band. He said I could take it off to join and put it back on and I said, that would be hypcritical . They even said I could not teach kids Sunday School. If I had liked him, I would have conformed but he thought it was ok to proposition the ladies in the church. Needless to say, we found another church that was on fire for
God. And No, we did not leave because of the ring deal, I just did not like him. He was a racist. No one would bring charges against his propositioning the ladies, so he continued and finally after a couple years the state overseer came down and relieved him of his church but did not take his license but allowed him to go about 5 miles away and start another church in his home until they could find property. He is dead now.
I heard an Evangelist lady say that when she joined the COG, they would pull on her hair to make sure she was not cutting it and was letting it grow and she said, they would turn the women out of the church if they were uptown without hose on their legs. She would wear hose even with runs in them because that was the way she was taught. She had come from a Baptist background but you either did what they said or you were kicked out.
She always said, I have forgotten more COG than most of you know. She was a fireball of a preacher. God used her mightly.

b
Friendly Face
6/10/18 12:36 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
There was a lady in my home church that did not cut her hair - she singed it, so she could not be accused of cutting her hair.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/10/18 6:34 pm

Post Cojak
Carolyn Smith wrote:
There was a lady in my home church that did not cut her hair - she singed it, so she could not be accused of cutting her hair.

That got a 'My Goodness' from my wife. LOL
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/10/18 7:48 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic