Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

George Voorhis

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post George Voorhis Cojak
I was fortunate the other day to be in service when George was able to attend. I could not help but watch as his lips followed some of the older songs. He also was quoting scripture word for word that the pastor used.

I sat under George when he taught his first classes at NC Summer Bible School. He was the most impressive teachers I have ever sat under. He had that ability to convey a thought in a way you had to listen. He wasn't long out of the Army and converted from Catholicism. He has a very sweet wife and she is in church most times when the doors are open. He accompanied her on the last two services. I hope he is able to continue.

One may not agree with him always, but everyone I know who has sat under him, sings his praises as a TEACHER OF THE WORD. I am about 80, I know he is in his mid 80's. He is now frail but I remember him as a young soldier.

Brothers if you are fortunate you too will be as David and in your later years will be helped to go, because you will no longer be jumping a wall and running through a troop!

I had only a few words with him, his voice no longer booms, but the wisdom is still there.
He speaks of students, not his teaching. Admirable. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/12/18 11:21 pm

Post Re: George Voorhis Dean Steenburgh
Cojak wrote:
I was fortunate the other day to be in service when George was able to attend. I could not help but watch as his lips followed some of the older songs. He also was quoting scripture word for word that the pastor used.

I sat under George when he taught his first classes at NC Summer Bible School. He was the most impressive teachers I have ever sat under. He had that ability to convey a thought in a way you had to listen. He wasn't long out of the Army and converted from Catholicism. He has a very sweet wife and she is in church most times when the doors are open. He accompanied her on the last two services. I hope he is able to continue.

One may not agree with him always, but everyone I know who has sat under him, sings his praises as a TEACHER OF THE WORD. I am about 80, I know he is in his mid 80's. He is now frail but I remember him as a young soldier.

Brothers if you are fortunate you too will be as David and in your later years will be helped to go, because you will no longer be jumping a wall and running through a troop!

I had only a few words with him, his voice no longer booms, but the wisdom is still there.
He speaks of students, not his teaching. Admirable. Cool

Never met him but your testimony is good enough for me.
He sounds like one of the mighty men of valor in the faith.
May the Lord give Bro. George the stamina of Caleb who was talking about getting ready to get back into battle in his later years.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
5/13/18 10:25 am

Post Re: George Voorhis Travis Johnson
Quote:
He speaks of students, not his teaching. Admirable.

That’s a testimony to strive for!
Acts-dicted
5/13/18 1:46 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Dr Voorhis is a precious saint of God. He has always been in love with Jesus first and foremost and he was/is passionate about helping raise up young ministers. His foundation that Bill Coble manages is to benefit young ministers wanting to study for the ministry. He has several books & resources available through Bill & his foundation. If you like to read/study, you would certainly enjoy them.

He was teaching at ECBC when we were there but I took mostly English & music classes, never knowing then I would be teaching adults the Word. I could really kick myself now for not taking his classes. It was not unusual for the Spirit to fall during class & part of class be spent in worshiping and praising the Lord.

I helped set up one of the reunions in Eastern NC a few years ago, and he was able to attend. He was asking everyone there, "Were you my student?" He spoke for a bit and told some great stories...repeated himself a bit, but like you said, the love of the Word is still there, and he does love & cherish his students. He was the force behind starting ECBC and he sacrificed much for its existence. He stepped down as the president of ECBC so the school could continue.

He has poured into the lives of many, and only eternity will reveal what Dr. Voorhis gave to the kingdom. Everyone who has ever sat under him that I know of only has respect and honor for this great man of God.

There are also a couple of Youtubes of him out there of him preaching in his younger years.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/13/18 7:44 pm

Post Cojak
I was in his class once and the subject of women and pants came up. Long before it was accepted in the COG.

He laughed, "I guess the folks who teach this have never went hunting with their wife along. When my wife and I go hunting she wears overalls or pants. It would be pretty ignorant, and at times embarrassing to her if other men were hunting with us and she had to walk thru briars, climb thru a fence or climb a brush pile in a dress."

He was in church again today, his wife won one of the prizes for Mothers today in church. She is one humble sweet lady!
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
5/13/18 10:37 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:
I was in his class once and the subject of women and pants came up. Long before it was accepted in the COG.

He laughed, "I guess the folks who teach this have never went hunting with their wife along. When my wife and I go hunting she wears overalls or pants. It would be pretty ignorant, and at times embarrassing to her if other men were hunting with us and she had to walk thru briars, climb thru a fence or climb a brush pile in a dress."

He was in church again today, his wife won one of the prizes for Mothers today in church. She is one humble sweet lady!

His wife, Margaret, is also an RN. I don't know her well but they are precious folks!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
5/13/18 11:08 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic