Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Do you agree with Walmart's decision about Stryper song title?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Do you agree with Walmart's decision about Stryper song title? doyle
The headline says Walmart has declared war on Christian music. Turns out Walmart has not declared war on Christian music. They have decided not to carry one of Stryper's songs because of the song title.

Whachathink?

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/20/walmart-declares-war-on-christian-music/

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com
4/20/18 11:50 am

Post Da Sheik
Clearly the song title choice is for shock value to generate conversation and boost album sales. So regardless of what I believe in principle about Wal-mart's decision, I find it comical that Stryper's marketing campaign hit a snafu. Acts Enthusiast
4/20/18 12:13 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Thank goodness Wal-Mart still has some decency.

G D Evil has no place on a sales rack at Wal-Mart for kids to see and start saying G D all over the place.

Too bad Christians are once again out of touch with the times. The 80s "cuteness" of Stryper song titles is just as out of date as the COG convention songbooks.
4/20/18 12:45 pm

Post Nature Boy: Hold on Bro. Wait a minute. Stand down. Take a deep breath -:). doyle
Hey, wait a minute. Are you saying Church of God Camp-Meeting songbooks
are out-of-date, out of style?

Maybe for you young "whipper-snappers" (whatever that means) is true, but for we, shall I say, more mature posters, those Convention Songbooks bring back fond memories Smile.

The first time I heard a COG Camp-Meeting choir sing from one of those books, my heart was incredibly blessed. It was like God leaned over and kissed the earth and I was right in the middle of the smack.

Yes, I definitely do like a lot of the newer music. It definitely is time to move forward, but the older, now out-of-the-times music, helped bring us this far.

Appreciate ya Bro. I enjoy your posts and perspective.

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com
4/20/18 1:05 pm

Post Re: Nature Boy: Hold on Bro. Wait a minute. Stand down. Take a deep breath -:). Nature Boy Florida
doyle wrote:
Hey, wait a minute. Are you saying Church of God Camp-Meeting songbooks
are out-of-date, out of style?

Maybe for you young "whipper-snappers" (whatever that means) is true, but for we, shall I say, more mature posters, those Convention Songbooks bring back fond memories Smile.

The first time I heard a COG Camp-Meeting choir sing from one of those books, my heart was incredibly blessed. It was like God leaned over and kissed the earth and I was right in the middle of the smack.

Yes, I definitely do like a lot of the newer music. It definitely is time to move forward, but the older, now out-of-the-times music, helped bring us this far.

Appreciate ya Bro. I enjoy your posts and perspective.

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com

Haha - I'm with you Doyle. I can play the COG Convention Classics CD they sold a few years back and remember how much I enjoyed them then - and now.

However, my kids seem to leave the room when I turn them on...
4/20/18 1:11 pm

Post UncleJD
Thanks for the ad Doyle, I haven't bought a Stryper album in a while. I can't wait to check it out.

I for one both agree with Walmart's decision, and don't care that Stryper has the title they chose. Its been too many years since the first time they did this (To Hell With The Devil, Against The Law) for me to think for a minute that this song or album is somehow satanic or blasphemous as many curmudgeons shouted until their COPD wore them out back in the 80s.

I took my kids to see them about 7 years ago and I was amazed that their musicianship and vocals had held up and if anything, improved over the years! Time to get my To Hell With The Devil t-shirt out of storage!

My only problem with this is the reactionary sillies that find something to be offended at around every corner (I thought it was only snowflake millennials that did that). In this case, the ones claiming that Walmart is somehow anti-Christian over this, they aren't, or the ones that say Stryper is blasphemous, they aren't. Everyone calm down and rock on.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/20/18 4:08 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I don’t find the title offensive. I found their girlish glam rock look offensive in the 80s. Looking back, now it just looks silly. They did have some musical talent. Last I heard, Michael Sweet was singing for Boston following the tragic suicide of Brad Delp. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/20/18 5:11 pm

Post oldschooler
I’m a life-long Stryper fan and I have given up on their music over this. True story. Friendly Face
4/20/18 8:13 pm

Post Chicago27
What a great marketing move by Stryper. People get all bent out of shape but the facet is, we are ready for God to damn evil and, asbthe somg says, God save the people. It is very scriptural. I have the album and it’s a great one! Friendly Face
4/21/18 10:40 am

Post krista
oldschooler wrote:
I’m a life-long Stryper fan and I have given up on their music over this. True story.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
4/21/18 11:48 am

Post Cojak
Where is RR, this could lead to dancing!
However seriously, you are driving a Chevy and it breaks down on your way to a very important appointment.. YOu miss it and lose a job. Somebody may be tempted to say out loud: GD Chevrolet! Meaning in the mind Chevy is evil!

Yeah it is a stretch, but I have to smile and add a 'like' to DaSheik's comment. Very Happy
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/22/18 10:03 pm

Post UncleJD
Chicago27 wrote:
What a great marketing move by Stryper. People get all bent out of shape but the facet is, we are ready for God to damn evil and, asbthe somg says, God save the people. It is very scriptural. I have the album and it’s a great one!

There's a first time for everything, Chicago and I agree! Its a Dream Month miracle! Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/23/18 8:16 am

Post SouthFloridaman
I know what John Todd said about Styper.... 😉😉😉

This is also why grammar exists. I think if they just put a comma where they were supposed to the problem would be solved... silly metal heads

God, d____ evil.
Problem solved

But still this is inappropriate for an album name...

Last edited by SouthFloridaman on 4/23/18 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Friendly Face
4/23/18 6:47 pm

Post Cojak
SouthFloridaman wrote:
I know what John Todd said about Styper.... 😉😉😉

This is also why grammar exists. I think if they just put a comma where they were supposed to the problem would be solved... silly metal heads

God, damn evil.
Problem solved

But still this is inappropriate for an album name...
Thumb Up
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/23/18 8:41 pm

Post Da Sheik
They did it for shock value. They are so far removed from relevance, they must stoop to this kind of thing to grasp for attention. I’m not offended, I just think it’s sad. Acts Enthusiast
4/23/18 10:32 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic