Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

A Member of the COG EC called the honery docterate a "FREEBIE."

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post A Member of the COG EC called the honery docterate a "FREEBIE." Old Time Country Preacher
This post was recently placed in a long thread and I didn't want it to get lost in the shuffle, because it needs a thread of its own.

Even though Lee awards honery docterates to many who are elected to the executive committee, a practice which has occurred for years now, don't ever imagine that the practice is acceptable to everyone. It isn't. And not just Lee, WC in Fresno, NC in Minot, and EC in Charlotte also awarded honery docterates before they went out of business. Some of our Hispanic schools award honery docterates to men in certain positions here in the USA. But again, not all in positions of authority support the practice.

About 10 years ago I was standing beside a member of the COG EC, who himself held an earned accredited doctorate, when the conversation drifted to a recent recipient of an honery docterate from Lee. The EC member's disdain for the honery docterate was evident. He was congratulating another member of the group (about 5 of us were standing there) who had just graduated with an earned accredited doctorate. As he commended the recent recipient of the earned doctorate, he lowered the volume of his voice and said, and I quote verbatim, "and it's not one of those freebies either." Say what ya will, but persons who have gone through the grueling process of earning a legitimate fully accredited doctorate have little or no respect for the honery docterate, nor do they view with integrity a "freebie."
Acts-pert Poster
4/21/18 12:11 am

Post Just wanted you to know JimmieDavis
that the only post of response you have is mine reminding you that no one cares. Yawny, sleepy, tired, ole irrelevant OTCP Friendly Face
4/21/18 10:40 am

Post Re: Just wanted you to know Old Time Country Preacher
JimmieDavis wrote:
that the only post of response you have is mine reminding you that no one cares. Yawny, sleepy, tired, ole irrelevant OTCP

Love you too, Jimmie.

But seriously, do you really think that just cause nobody responded to the ole timer's post in 12 1/2 hours except you, or if nobody had responded at all, that it makes the subject of this thread irrelevant? The mere fact that the issue irritated you to the point of respondin reinforces its relevance.

Hey, you ain't got no daddy, uncle, son, or even yaself what's touting a honery docterate do ya? Cool
Acts-pert Poster
4/21/18 12:03 pm

Post skinnybishop
Hey OTCP,
I've actually applied to the D.Min program at North Greenville University. Looks like a good program. SACS accredited. Hoping to be accepted and start this fall. Possibly sooner if we can get ducks in row.
4/21/18 1:39 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
skinnybishop wrote:
Hey OTCP,
I've actually applied to the D.Min program at North Greenville University. Looks like a good program. SACS accredited. Hoping to be accepted and start this fall. Possibly sooner if we can get ducks in row.

Excellent news, skinnybishop. You'll receive a substantive education and have a credential you can be proud of and won't have to hang ya head around nobody. I pray ya git accepted, ifn its the good Lord's will. If not NGU, they is other good opportunities in your area.
Acts-pert Poster
4/21/18 2:53 pm

Post Link
I have a real, earned doctorate, and I don't care if these men get honorary doctorates or not.

It does bother me when someone puts some kind of religious doctorate after their name after a butchered of a Biblical text or false statements about the Hebrew or Greek. I've seen that with a D.Min. before.

Last edited by Link on 4/22/18 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Acts-perienced Poster
4/22/18 8:22 pm

Post Cojak
Link wrote:
I have a real, earned doctorate, and I don't care if these men get honorary doctorates or not.

I like that attitude mountain man! I know folks I respect with an honorary and folks I hold much lower that have a 'bought degree'. But I have met and worked with two men with earned doctorates who could not tie their shoes.

Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/22/18 9:12 pm

Post Link
Cojak wrote:
Link wrote:

I like that attitude mountain man! I know folks I respect with an honorary and folks I hold much lower that have a 'bought degree'. But I have met and worked with two men with earned doctorates who could not tie their shoes.

Cool

After I got my degree, I visited my mom, and I was going to do something, hook up the grill maybe, or something like that. I said, "I can figure out how to do it. I have a PhD."

My mom used to work as a secretary in an Ag Econ department. She said she and the other secretaries had a running joke, "He's not able to do that. He has a Ph.D."

People can be smart in different ways.
4/22/18 9:48 pm

Link wrote:
I don't care if these men get honorary doctorates or not.........It does bother me when someone puts some kind of religious doctorate after their name after a butchered of a Biblical text or false statements about the Hebrew or Greek. I've seen that with a D.Min. before.

Ya mean like Rick Renner?

Bottom line:

1) It don't bother ya when men/women git em a honery doctorate.............
2) But if the person can't put a couple a sentences into a cohesive paragraph, it bothers ya, right?
Acts-pert Poster
4/23/18 1:22 am

Post Link
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

Ya mean like Rick Renner?

I am not familiar with him.

Quote:

Bottom line:

1) It don't bother ya when men/women git em a honery doctorate.............
2) But if the person can't put a couple a sentences into a cohesive paragraph, it bothers ya, right?

I haven't thought about whether those things bother me. My doctorate is not in a field that throws around a lot of honorary doctorates.

It does bother me when I see false doctrine bolstered including false assertions about the Hebrew and Greek bolstered by someone's doctorate.
4/23/18 3:08 am

Post SouthFloridaman
Otcp I understand some get dubious honorary drs because of there political connections with certain academic institutions. I know Tennessee Temple handed out honorary drs like it was candy in a failed attempt to save the school from shuttering. Lee hands them out to the those with political clout in the cog to garner favor with the religious institution over them. But not all honorary drs are bad.... some are granted to those who have accomplished enough and wish to guest teach at the institution. A pastor over 2000 that has written a ton of books who deserves an honorary should get one. Now those who hold lees financial future in there hands don’t. It makes me mad when I see that. But people like Joyce Myers yes give her ,creflo dollar, Perry stone, and anyone else a honorary Dr. they have done enough. Now don’t call them dr but an hon. Is In order not out of order. Friendly Face
4/23/18 4:55 pm

SouthFloridaman wrote:
A pastor over 2000 that has written a ton of books who deserves an honorary should get one. Now those who hold lees financial future in there hands don’t. It makes me mad when I see that. But people like Joyce Myers yes give her ,creflo dollar, Perry stone, and anyone else a honorary Dr. they have done enough. Now don’t call them dr but an hon. Is In order not out of order.

I must respectfully disagree, SFM. There are myriad ways in which to "honor" one for his/her achievements in ministry. Writing a thesis/dissertation is a totally different beast than writing a book. Book are written for many reasons and in many ways. May of the "books" written by men like David Jeremiah, Chuck Swindoll, etc..., are merely transcribed sermon series they have preached. Not a thing wrong with this practice. Others write on a subject of their interest or from their field of expertise. A thesis/dissertation is a beast of its own. So, for the person who have written books, that in and of itself does no warrant a doctorate. The persons you name above in no way deserve a doctorate based on writings alone.
Acts-pert Poster
4/24/18 12:15 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic