Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Name-It-Frame-It: Dr. Who? – Televangelists With Fake Educations and Degrees (L)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Re: Name-It-Frame-It: Dr. Who? – Televangelists With Fake Educations and Degrees (L) Old Time Country Preacher
SouthFloridaman wrote:
if an accredited institution grants an honorary degree that is a badge of honor

If the above happens, it is an award bestowed. It is not an academic credential in any sense of the term, nor is it a reason/right to use the title "Dr."
Acts-pert Poster
4/12/18 3:12 pm

Post Question.. renewal
If it is so bad to give out the Dr, why did Lee give so many away?

For years all on the EC had the title..Most from Lee.

I often wondered how could a school with no program give out something that they could not confer?

Any answers?
Acts Enthusiast
4/14/18 5:48 pm

Post Re: Question.. Old Time Country Preacher
renewal wrote:
If it is so bad to give out the Dr, why did Lee give so many away?

For years all on the EC had the title..Most from Lee.

I often wondered how could a school with no program give out something that they could not confer?

Any answers?

Your wonderin is quite valid, renewal. Your use of the English language is excellent at this point. Speaking of the honery docterate you wondered by "why did Lee give so many away." It is an extremely nice piece of paper designed to be framed and hung in a very visible location. That's all it is. I love the way you described it, something "given away." Not earned, not warranted, and certainly not a title. Why should someone be given a title (Dr) who has received the top five number of votes at the assembly? OTCP has the utmost respect for these men and their accomplishments, but not for a unearned title.
Acts-pert Poster
4/14/18 7:45 pm

Post My opinion? roughridercog
If you are wanting an advanced degree, do it right from a viable accredited institution. To do less and then slap on the paper title "Doctor" is offensive to those who labored hard to get it.

However....

There will always be those whose egos need positive strokes continually. So if you want to be a fake doc, then go ahead. But don't think you're fooling anyone.

A spurious degree speaks of a total lack of integrity.

There ya go. My opinion and a couple of bucks will get you some coffee at Waffle House.
4/16/18 8:36 am

Post This is Determined by the University Pastor Nations

The universities determine how and when it is appropriate, not posters on Acts, lol

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

A typical example of university regulations is:

"Honorary graduates may use the approved post-nominal letters.

It is not customary, however, for recipients of an honorary doctorate to adopt the prefix 'Dr.'"

In some universities, it is however a matter of personal preference for an honorary doctor to use the formal title of "Doctor", regardless of the background circumstances for the award.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree
Acts Enthusiast
4/16/18 10:21 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Let's once again quit lumping in Honorary Doctorates with degree mill doctorates.

The Honorary ones from accredited institutions are much more valuable...and in the right circumstances - totally appropriate for the recipient to use the title Dr.

For instance - if Lee awarded an Honorary Doctorate - it is perfectly fine for Lee to address the person as Doctor. That was the whole point of the exercise.
4/16/18 12:05 pm

Post SouthFloridaman
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Let's once again quit lumping in Honorary Doctorates with degree mill doctorates.

The Honorary ones from accredited institutions are much more valuable...and in the right circumstances - totally appropriate for the recipient to use the title Dr.

For instance - if Lee awarded an Honorary Doctorate - it is perfectly fine for Lee to address the person as Doctor. That was the whole point of the exercise.

My thoughts exactly....
Friendly Face
4/20/18 10:15 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
An honery docterate IS NOT, NEVER HAS BEEN nor EVER WILL BE a legitimate academic credential. An while the good ole boys club may award em, an may call each other "Dr" based on em, the academic community at large knows better, an politely smiles (either internally or externally) when someone with a freeby is referenced as "Dr."

A few years ago I was standing beside a member of the COG EC, who himself held an earned accredited doctorate, when the conversation drifted to a recent recipient of an honery docterate from Lee. His disdain for the honery docterate was evident. He was congratulating another member of the group (about 5 of us were standing there), and as he commended the recent recipient of an earned doctorate, he said, "and it's not one of those freebies." Believe me, an say what ya will, but persons who have gone through the grueling process of earning a legitimate doctorate do not respect, nor do they look with honor on a "freebie."
Acts-pert Poster
4/20/18 11:53 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Ecclesiastes 1:1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
2 "Vanity of vanities," says the Preacher; "Vanity of vanities, all is vanity."
3 What profit has a man from all his labor In which he toils under the sun?
4 One generation passes away, and another generation comes; But the earth abides forever.
5 The sun also rises, and the sun goes down, And hastens to the place where it arose.
6 The wind goes toward the south, And turns around to the north; The wind whirls about continually, And comes again on its circuit.
7 All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; To the place from which the rivers come, There they return again.
8 All things are full of labor; Man cannot express it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, Nor the ear filled with hearing.
9 ¶ That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which it may be said, "See, this is new"? It has already been in ancient times before us.
11 There is no remembrance of former things, Nor will there be any remembrance of things that are to come By those who will come after.
12 I, the Preacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
13 And I set my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under heaven; this burdensome task God has given to the sons of man, by which they may be exercised.
14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and indeed, all is vanity and grasping for the wind.
15 What is crooked cannot be made straight, And what is lacking cannot be numbered.
16 I communed with my heart, saying, "Look, I have attained greatness, and have gained more wisdom than all who were before me in Jerusalem. My heart has understood great wisdom and knowledge."
17 And I set my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is grasping for the wind.
18 For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

Vain is the man who glories in his "earned Doctorate".

Vain is the man who glories in his "honorary or degree mill Doctorate".

Solomon is right, "all is vanity".

Rolling Eyes

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/21/18 10:28 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
sheepdogandy wrote:

Yep, Solomon was right! If a feller is "gloryin" in his doctorate, it is vanity. But if it is legitimately accredited and earned an the feller views it as a gift from God to turn around and use in some capacity to glorify God, then all is well.

And if a feller glories in the fact that he left the COG and is now runnin with a much smaller network a preachers who have cast off the restraints of centralization while still operatin by the same principles--only to a smaller degree--that too is vanity. Wink
Acts-pert Poster
4/21/18 12:11 pm

Post Da Sheik
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
There may be a few schools that make it difficult for Pentecostals at the DMin or PhD level; however, most schools, even state universities, care little about one's personal theological stance. Again there are a few schools, or one or two faculty members within a certain school, that don't fit this mold.

That said, such a dynamic is never a good reason for one to attend an unaccredited institution.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don’t hold a doctorate yet, but my MDiv was not from a Pentecostal school. Some schools may persecute Full-Gospel believers, but I would imagine them to be of the fundamentalist variety. I wouldn’t want a degree from a place like that anyway.
Acts Enthusiast
4/21/18 3:15 pm

Post sheepdogandy
Lack of restraint OTCP?

You have no idea what you are talking about.

www.spwc.church
4/21/18 8:06 pm

Post Mat
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
sheepdogandy wrote:

Yep, Solomon was right! If a feller is "gloryin" in his doctorate, it is vanity. But if it is legitimately accredited and earned an the feller views it as a gift from God to turn around and use in some capacity to glorify God, then all is well.

And if a feller glories in the fact that he left the COG and is now runnin with a much smaller network a preachers who have cast off the restraints of centralization while still operatin by the same principles--only to a smaller degree--that too is vanity. Wink

Or, this could be the future of the Pentecostal/Church of God Movement - strong independent churches in small networks for reasons of accountability, missions, training and fellowship. Pentecostal denominations spend a great deal of time and resources "polishing" the top of the institutional pyramid while the foundation of local churches are dispersing due to the weight of the hierarchical government and its embedded institutions. This forum often discusses the subject of how much structure can be supported and at what cost for a positive return for local churches.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/22/18 7:59 am

Post sheepdogandy
The future is now. Wink

www.spwc.church
4/22/18 9:01 am

Post OTCP JimmieDavis
You are irrelevant. Your points are invalid. You obviously have a earned dr and it is the only you have you are proud of. And I think it is hilarious because people with honorary doctorates will use them and you can’t stop them. Friendly Face
4/22/18 6:33 pm

Post Re: OTCP Old Time Country Preacher
JimmieDavis wrote:
You are irrelevant. Your points are invalid. You obviously have a earned dr and it is the only you have you are proud of. And I think it is hilarious because people with honorary doctorates will use them and you can’t stop them.

I love you too, Jimmie. God is good, ain't he? For every on person such as you, Jimmie, I have 5-10 who send me PM's expressing gratitude for my position and comments regarding comical credentials.

Nope, OTCP don't have in your words, Jimmie "a earned dr." The parody of OTCP barely made it through the 9th grade. But yep, I'm real proud a that 9th Grade credential, cause it represents more formal trainin than some folk claimin a docerate's got.

Love ya, J.
Acts-pert Poster
4/23/18 1:42 am

Post sheepdogandy
John 7:14 Now about the middle of the feast Jesus went up into the temple and taught.
15 And the Jews marveled, saying, "How does this Man know letters, having never studied?"
16 Jesus answered them and said, "My doctrine is not Mine, but His who sent Me.
17 "If anyone wants to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority.
18 "He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who seeks the glory of the One who sent Him is true, and no unrighteousness is in Him.

Just saying....... Rolling Eyes

www.spwc.church
4/23/18 3:52 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic