Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

How long is a generation?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post How long is a generation? Nature Boy Florida
The "budding of the fig tree" I have heard so much about during prophecy teachings happened 70 years ago.

SO - how long is it?

Or is political Israel becoming a nation again not the "budding of the fig tree"?
4/18/18 2:41 pm

Post Da Sheik
Great question. I don't have the answers. One thing I do believe however, is that we often come to the text with an egocentric eschatology. In other words, we come to a passage like Matthew 24 and immediately assume it was written only to us and not our predecessors. I have come to assume a position that the bible cannot mean something to us that the original recipients of the words would have had no ability to apply.

Eschatology is a tricky beast. We obviously know that Christ did not return in the first century. So the extreme Preterist position has little merit. But I'm not sure the pre-mil/pre-trib position has a monopoly on the truth either. I said all of that to say this: I don't think the original recipients of Matthew's Gospel would have read those words and thought "ok, when Israel becomes a nation again in almost 2000 years, then the Lord will come again."
Acts Enthusiast
4/18/18 3:14 pm

Post The reference is not speaking Mark Ledbetter
about a time period but to the generation witnessing the "signs" to which Jesus alludes - all that had preceded His reference to the Tree bearing leaves.
Spirit-Led
(This is how I want to be)
Golf Cart Mafia Associate
4/18/18 5:31 pm

Post I was going to post on the same thing today! Aaron Scott
I saw an article about Israel being a nation for 70 years, and I thought back to when everyone was SOOOO sure that a generation was 40 years, and that 1988 was the latest that Jesus would return.

But if you read in Genesis, God tells Abraham that his descendants will be in Egypt for four generations...which winds up in the 400 year range.

It's just one more good reason to resist trying to act like we know what prophecy means. Along with this jewel, I will remind folks that...

"The Beast" was a computer in Belgium.

That the bad guys were the USSR...I mean the European Common Market...no, wait, China...rather the European Union...I mean Muslims...or maybe it's China.

When we teach such TRASH--especially when we say it with authority and assuredness--we do a great disservice the the Kingdom. The best we can do without divine insight is to simply say "We don't know."

It's OK to say that, you know. No one will think less of you for being honest.

Preach what we DO know assuredly, then let the rest fall where it may. Of course, if it sells books...go right ahead and do it anyway.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/18/18 6:05 pm

Post Re: How long is a generation? Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
The "budding of the fig tree" I have heard so much about during prophecy teachings happened 70 years ago.

SO - how long is it?

Or is political Israel becoming a nation again not the "budding of the fig tree"?

Give me a few days, NB. My anonymous source in the Knesset is scheduled to contact me before Sunday.
Acts-pert Poster
4/18/18 11:13 pm

Post Re: How long is a generation? Nature Boy Florida
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:

SO - how long is it?

Give me a few days, NB. My anonymous source in the Knesset is scheduled to contact me before Sunday.

Some guys have instant access to the Knesset - you're slipping oldtimer.
4/19/18 6:37 am

Post A generation... 4thgeneration
...in Methuselah's day was a long time. Sorry, that's all I've got. Acts Enthusiast
4/19/18 12:13 pm

Post Re: A generation... Nature Boy Florida
4thgeneration wrote:
...in Methuselah's day was a long time. Sorry, that's all I've got.

If the dude name 4thgeneration doesn't know what a generation is...who does? Twisted Evil
4/19/18 12:38 pm

Post NBF, a thought Aaron Scott
Jesus said this "this generation shall not PASS AWAY...."

The average length of a generation may be X years, but if you were instead basing it on the thinking that "shall not pass away" means "someone from that generation will still be alive," that's a different thing.

We have people born in the 1920s with us today. MOST of that generation is gone...but it has not yet passed away.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/20/18 10:49 am

Post Re: NBF, a thought Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:
Jesus said this "this generation shall not PASS AWAY...."

The average length of a generation may be X years, but if you were instead basing it on the thinking that "shall not pass away" means "someone from that generation will still be alive," that's a different thing.

We have people born in the 1920s with us today. MOST of that generation is gone...but it has not yet passed away.

I'm good with that Aaron. Like Methuselah...Noah's flood couldn't come until he died, right.
4/20/18 10:53 am

Post Re: How long is a generation? Link

SO - how long is it?

They haven't started counting from the Six Day War in 1967 yet? That could buy them some more time.
4/22/18 9:49 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Given the interweaving of the Destruction of Jerusalem with the Second coming in this passage, it seems to me that the most natural reading of his reference that “this generation shall not pass,” refers to the Destruction of Jerusalem. The generation Jesus was then living in and speaking to would in fact live to see the Destruction of Jerusalem.

On the other hand, it could also have application to the 2nd Coming, especially if one takes it as referring to the race of the Jews not becoming extinct.

Strong's Concordance
genea: race, family, generation

http://biblehub.com/greek/1074.htm
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/22/18 10:16 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic