Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Questions about Voting

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Questions about Voting MoonWalkingWithJesus
Has there ever been a moment in COG history in the last 40yrs where the general overseer position was been hotly contested and there were 2 serious players campaigning for the same job. I could see how in theory this could happen. But in reality there is too much centralized power in our positions that the winner could completely destroy the one who loses. Especially if the one running was employed by the denomination. I could see a pastor throwing his hat in the ring, but it is still a big risk with our structure. I have had state officials express true concern over this and the fact that they believed some of the voting could be fixed.
4/6/18 11:29 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
If the voting is fixed it would be the Russians hacking the handheld voting devices at the assembly. Acts-pert Poster
4/6/18 5:29 pm

Post JLarry
They don't do it that way.

The way to get what you want is to have your friend bring charges to the man in power and oust him so they can go back in.

Of my years at the GA, I have only seen this happen once.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
4/6/18 10:20 pm

Post SouthFloridaman
N/M Friendly Face
4/7/18 2:00 am

Post sheepdogandy
Centrali.......... oh forget it. Rolling Eyes

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/7/18 10:07 am

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
If the voting is fixed it would be the Russians hacking the handheld voting devices at the assembly.
has the voting ever been audited? How do we know with digital voting? I have heard of pastors votes being taken away for Negligible reasons some not even being informed until after the vote was decided. I heard of one whose votes was removed because his new church he took on was in the rears in reporting. It wasn’t the pastors fault but he was punished anyways for taking a church that was behind and needed help.
4/16/18 10:47 pm

Post The answer is "Yes." doyle
Not sure the year of the Assembly, but two ministers were neck-and-neck in voting results; J. Frank Culpepper and Ray Hughes.

It was back when votes were counted by hand. The COG minister who was serving as supervisor of the voting, told me personally, that he was on the way back to the Assembly "floor," to tell the ministers the count results.

He said the "count" showed that Culpepper was slightly ahead. Again, according to him, someone he did not recognize approached him as he walked alone through one of the behind-the-scenes Convention Center's passageways.

"Sorry these are late," the man said. "These are from the foreign section."

The votes were taken back to where the counting had been done. The "late" votes were factored in which put Ray Hughes ever-so-slightly ahead.

Several years later, I was talking with one of the ministers who had been on that Counting Committee. He said, "I remember when those late votes came in. They changed the results."

CAUTION: What happened may have been totally on the up-and-up. Also, it would not be unusual that votes from the foreign section would mostly be for Brother Hughes. He was popular here in the states, but even more so overseas.

Some of Brother Culpepper's friends wanted to contest the vote, but I'm told he asked them not to. He felt contesting it would cause controversy in the church and he didn't want that.

Doyle
writedoyle@gmail.com
4/20/18 12:27 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic