Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

AB said the only thing I have against you is Actscelerate

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post AB said the only thing I have against you is Actscelerate JLarry
Some years ago I was trying to get a church. Went to the AB's office he said; "the only thing I have against you is your involvement with Actscelerate". To which i replied, "have you seen anything negative I have posted about you or any AB". He said no.

He said he had three list of ministers looking for a church, I will place you on the top of the top list.

Not sure what list that was but to this day nothing has happened.

He has since left my state.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
4/16/18 11:30 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
When I was on staff at a large church in the early aughts, earnestly desiring to be appointed to a pastorate, I was told by my senior pastor that guys who post on Actscelerate were looked down upon by the denominational leadership, and would be far less likely to ever get appointed anywhere. Up to that point, I had posted under my real name, and had never posted anything critical towards the CoG or its leadership. After that point, I adopted a pen name. It has only been in the last couple of years that I have felt somewhat free to share my real name occasionally in this forum. It’s a real shame that someone could be blackballed just for participating in this forum, regardless of the content of their posts. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/16/18 11:44 am

Post There was a time... Aaron Scott
when Actscelerate was the biggest thing going in terms of the conversations that we had and have. It was read by the executives (and some almost certainly posted her under pen names).

The use of pen names allowed people to post and discuss freely things that they would be very reluctant to discuss under their real name. Of course, some used pen names to make false or harsh statements, but for the most part it was all handled pretty well, I think.

I like the current FB page "The Excellent Minister..." or some such, BUT because everyone is using their real names, it stays safely within the lines. That doesn't mean there isn't disagreement over this or that, but it almost certainly means that there are issues that are never raised/discussed because of concerns of being blacklisted, etc.

There is a range of SAFE doctrinal issues, but if someone suggests that, say, tongues is not the initial evidence, it is typically done in a manner that is not nearly so forward and robust as it would have been on Actscelerate a few years back.

Today, even Actscelerate has become a bit milquetoast-y due to the fewer numbers posting, etc.

But, oh, man, back in the day it was such a novelty--imagine Church of God ministers (for the most part) speaking their mind about executive salaries, etc.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
4/16/18 1:21 pm

Post Re: There was a time... Tom Sterbens
Aaron Scott wrote:
when Actscelerate was the biggest thing going in terms of the conversations that we had and have. It was read by the executives (and some almost certainly posted her under pen names).

The use of pen names allowed people to post and discuss freely things that they would be very reluctant to discuss under their real name. Of course, some used pen names to make false or harsh statements, but for the most part it was all handled pretty well, I think.

I like the current FB page "The Excellent Minister..." or some such, BUT because everyone is using their real names, it stays safely within the lines. That doesn't mean there isn't disagreement over this or that, but it almost certainly means that there are issues that are never raised/discussed because of concerns of being blacklisted, etc.

There is a range of SAFE doctrinal issues, but if someone suggests that, say, tongues is not the initial evidence, it is typically done in a manner that is not nearly so forward and robust as it would have been on Actscelerate a few years back.

Today, even Actscelerate has become a bit milquetoast-y due to the fewer numbers posting, etc.

But, oh, man, back in the day it was such a novelty--imagine Church of God ministers (for the most part) speaking their mind about executive salaries, etc.

Would you care to tell me the issues that you think are avoided that need to be discussed?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
4/16/18 5:10 pm

Post Re: There was a time... Aaron Scott
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Would you care to tell me the issues that you think are avoided that need to be discussed?

About anything can be discussed...but, as I said, it tends to stay safely within the lines. Like, for instance, I can’t call you a doofus or a weirdo under my real name. But back in the day, I could. I miss that. All I can do now is THINK that, and it’s not nearly so satisfying. Twisted Evil
4/16/18 5:49 pm

Post Tom Sterbens... Aaron Scott
Of course you know I was joking in previous post. Except for that part about “doofus.” Very Happy

Seriously, consider that many years ago someone got on Actscelerate to report something a bit underhanded of a State Overseer. That had an effect. In truth, there was no recourse for the poster, I imagine, since Cleveland would almost certainly do nothing. But it had an effect, so far as I know. If nothing else, leaders seemed to try to be more circumspect, since it might end up here.

Today, on FB, no one is going to say much more that something generic, let alone being specific enough that anyone could figure it out. That’s good in some ways, of course, but it also has the unintended (I suppose) effect of rolling back a layer of accountability.
4/16/18 6:11 pm

Post Pine Knot
I am sure that we would get in serious trouble with state and general headquarters if we wrote (with our real names) what we truly thought about the good old boy system that is now in play.

Here is something certain though, if you want to go somewhere in the Church of God you better not tick off the wrong AB or the wrong person on his way up. Actscelerate or no Actscelerate. Be a good boy and don't speak out when you see injustice. You don't know nothin'!

The thing is there is so much subterfuge in the system you really can't say for certain and pin it on them. All you have is your own personal evidence of how things have gone(or not gone) for you after you spoke your mind. Then you hear some other former pastor tell his own story of literally getting thrown our of a church to make room for someone else and it just kind of stick in your gut. And maybe it wouldn't mean so much if you had not heard it from the mouths of other ministers...you know two or three witness?
4/16/18 8:18 pm

Post MoonWalkingWithJesus
I know it is hard to take someone like moonwalking with Jesus serious, but here me out. Pastors need to start drafting our own selections for positions instead of just taking what has been spoon fed to us on the campmeeting circuit. I would even go as far as drafting potential candidates for high level positions.
4/16/18 10:40 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Whether by design or not, I do not know; however, Actscelerate began as an participatory extension of Doyle's newspaper. One could read an article (thread or a post within a thread), then respond in a post. Thanks to Al Gore's invention of the Internet, all of this could happen in a brief period of time. Within a few hours, a single thread could literally enjoy global participation.

As with anything technological, it will experience uses both good and bad. Some, like OTCP, from the git go of his participation with Acts, used it primarily as a tool for humor, fun and enjoyment. I would challenge anyone to research the archived posts of OTCP, and you will find not one single post derogatory of the COG. There will be a few that were posted in jest, and they are clearly referenced as such.

Others, however, from day one of their involvement with Acts, used the venue as a tool to lambast, criticize, demean and spread vitriol and venom against the COG, its leadership and decisions made by those in authority. This latter approach is probably why some within COG leadership frowned on Actscelerate. Of course, now, there are AB's who post by name, DO's, Lee faculty, etc.

In all my years a postin on Acts, not one time has anybody ever said, warned, cautioned, etc..., my participation here. But, it could be that they aint a lot a folk get through Pikeville, KY, too often. Wink

Last edited by Old Time Country Preacher on 4/19/18 12:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Acts-pert Poster
4/17/18 2:07 am

Aaron Scott wrote:

About anything can be discussed...but, as I said, it tends to stay safely within the lines. Like, for instance, I can’t call you a doofus or a weirdo under my real name.

I have NOT noted much restraint when it comes to you speaking your mind about me...or anything for that matter...on ANY forum. Smile

Next...
4/17/18 10:25 am

Post Da Sheik
This line of thinking is so small. But then again, I see it in the COG time and time again. Acts Enthusiast
4/17/18 11:40 am

Post skinnybishop
In the COG, some people can do no wrong. Unfortunately, there are some who can do no right.

Some people can discuss, criticize, or question anything, without consequence. For others, the slightest hint of disloyalty apparently makes them radioactive.

It all depends on who you are, and who you know.
4/17/18 1:12 pm

Post Re: There was a time... Aaron Scott
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

About anything can be discussed...but, as I said, it tends to stay safely within the lines. Like, for instance, I can’t call you a doofus or a weirdo under my real name.

I have NOT noted much restraint when it comes to you speaking your mind about me...or anything for that matter...on ANY forum. Smile

Next...

I know you know that I am being playful when I go all snarky on you. HOWEVER, indeed, I likely am a little more forward that some. I know that back in the Wild West days of Actscelerate, BOTH sides of the conversation were very forward. But on FB, not so much...at least not if it's one of those topics that can get you branded as a heretic or what have you.

Further--and this is probably one of the worst things about not allowing pen names--say that some minister is truly struggling with a serious problem--alcohol, lust, drugs, etc.--that guy may desperately need help, but is reluctant to be too open about such matters because of what it might "cost" him in terms of how people perceive him, whether a State Overseer might think the guy needs to move on, lose his license, etc.

Basically, on FB we "constrict" conversations about issues that might be uncomfortable or troublesome. If we could truly speak at ease, not only might more light be shed on the matter, but change might be affected.

In my time on Actscelerate, I have been bloodied and bruised a few times, but I have also noticed that, over time, certain stances have moderated as I began to hear the non-watered down version of certain arguments. I do appreciate the gentler tone that FB brings. But there is a trade-off, I think: We get more gentleness at the expense, perhaps, of more straightforward conversation, more robust argumentation, more thrust-and-parry, etc. When you come out the other side of such times, you sometimes bring with you a new perspective.

Just my thoughts.
4/17/18 3:53 pm

Aaron Scott wrote:
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Next...

I know you know that I am being playful when I go all snarky on you. HOWEVER, indeed, I likely am a little more forward that some. I know that back in the Wild West days of Actscelerate, BOTH sides of the conversation were very forward. But on FB, not so much...at least not if it's one of those topics that can get you branded as a heretic or what have you.

Further--and this is probably one of the worst things about not allowing pen names--say that some minister is truly struggling with a serious problem--alcohol, lust, drugs, etc.--that guy may desperately need help, but is reluctant to be too open about such matters because of what it might "cost" him in terms of how people perceive him, whether a State Overseer might think the guy needs to move on, lose his license, etc.

Basically, on FB we "constrict" conversations about issues that might be uncomfortable or troublesome. If we could truly speak at ease, not only might more light be shed on the matter, but change might be affected.

In my time on Actscelerate, I have been bloodied and bruised a few times, but I have also noticed that, over time, certain stances have moderated as I began to hear the non-watered down version of certain arguments. I do appreciate the gentler tone that FB brings. But there is a trade-off, I think: We get more gentleness at the expense, perhaps, of more straightforward conversation, more robust argumentation, more thrust-and-parry, etc. When you come out the other side of such times, you sometimes bring with you a new perspective.

Just my thoughts.

I don't know....
There are some pen name people I'm glad are gone.

There was this one guy named "Yo Dude" who used to post on here.
He was whacked!
Off the wall theology and opinions on stuff you wouldn't believe.
And combative? Oh my! He made Major Trammell look like a flower child!

But he did keep the readership and activity up.
Had an Executive Comm member once tell me he knew who it was.
He told me his name...who knows.

Guy just disappeared...sorta like Josey Wales. Smile
4/17/18 7:32 pm

Post Nature Boy Florida
Agreed. Yo Dude probably was posting from a mental institution...not one coherent thought. I was glad when he received a lifetime ban...for conduct unbecoming a man.
4/17/18 8:02 pm

Post Cojak
I wasn't going to comment, but Yo Dude was my favorite poster when I started. yeah he crossed the line a couple times, one time I thought he should be shot (but with a bb gun).
I truly miss the Chancellor and who ever he was before and after. I read a good classcial book once because of him. I also started one classic, 5 years ago and I still ain't fionished it.

But I see room for a variety of posters. To be honest even at 79 yrs of age, I have learned a lot.

Thanks to you here now and the ones gone or banned. I had to go back and see if I was close to still on subject and figured I ain't far off from Jlarry's post.

I talked to one middle management guy in Ceveland who told me he had never read Acts because his boss suggested it would be a good idea NOT to read. I told him my opinion. whetehr he ever read it before he passed on, I do not know. But that was 5-6 yrs back. Embarassed
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/17/18 11:41 pm

Post Major Trammel, Yo Dude, Pelajus, Serpent Seed guy, etc. Yep, definitely morons at times. Aaron Scott
There are likely a number I have forgotten, due to their having been gone so long, but, indeed, we have had some off the wallers here.

But as Major would say, “Doesn’t matter.”
4/18/18 6:00 am

Post Cojak
Shucks, I forgot the Major, I liked him also, but I guess it 'doesn't matter.' I sorta liked that "It doesn't matter" because as a rule the dude was right! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
4/18/18 11:56 pm

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Yo Dude probably was posting from a mental institution...

Almost lost ma teeth on at one, NB. ROFL
Acts-pert Poster
4/19/18 12:39 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic