Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

So Sad, But its True! I just learned that Paul Conn's PhD ...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post So Sad, But its True! I just learned that Paul Conn's PhD ... Old Time Country Preacher
is from a school that holds legitimate recognized accreditation

that he earned the degree;
that he wrote and successfully defended a dissertation;
that he has every right to use the title "Dr." in his professional life;
and that we in the COG have every right to be proud of Dr. Conn for representing Lee with a high level of ethical integrity.

Everything just stated about Dr. Conn's doctorate is the standard accepted protocol for earning/using the academic credential known as a doctorate.

So, why did I say it is so sad, but true? Well, it is sad for the wannabes.

1. It is sad for the honery docs what use the title "Dr" professionally as though they earned this esteemed credential.

2. It is sad for the fellers who go the unaccredited route, then begin to list "Dr" on their business cards/church signs/stationary/websites/etc. as though their doctorate was equivalent to Paul Conn's doctorate.

3. It is sad that men of God will act unethically and place a question mark on their integrity to obtain a title, that although worthless in terms of utility, gives the recipient some self-perceived level of worth/value.

One could go on and on and on, but, the point has been made.
Acts-pert Poster
4/15/18 9:26 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I do find there are some guys who are duped into believing the spiel of subpar unaccredited schools. I don’t think that all those who get a degree from such schools do so necessarily with an evil motive. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
4/15/18 10:26 pm

Post yawn JimmieDavis
yawn who cares

your point is futile
Friendly Face
4/16/18 12:25 am

Post Re: yawn Old Time Country Preacher
JimmieDavis wrote:
yawn who cares

your point is futile

Ummmm, not at all, Jimmie. You read the original post--as I knew you would--and responded.
Acts-pert Poster
4/16/18 12:51 am

Post Old Time Country Preacher
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
I do find there are some guys who are duped into believing the spiel of subpar unaccredited schools. I don’t think that all those who get a degree from such schools do so necessarily with an evil motive.

I agree, Wyatt. A few have indeed been duped by the slick, misleading and often blatant lies about their "school." That said, when a minister finds out he has been duped, misled or lied to regarding a particular school, he/she should not continue the path of deception. The relationship with the "school" should be immediately severed, and work should begin at a legitimate institution.
Acts-pert Poster
4/16/18 1:07 am

Post OTCP Mat
Here's an impressive resume:

"Katharine Jefferts Schori was elected Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church in June 2006. She was the first woman to be elected Presiding Bishop of The Episcopal Church. She served as chief pastor and primate to the Episcopal Church's members in 17 countries, 109 dioceses and three regional areas. She joined with other principal bishops of the 38-member Provinces of the worldwide Anglican Communion, seeking a common cause for global good and reconciliation. Over the course of her 9-year term, Bishop Jefferts Schori was responsible for initiating and developing policy for the Episcopal Church and spoke on behalf of the church regarding the policies, strategies, and programs authorized by General Convention. She was vocal about the Episcopal Church's mission priorities, including the United Nation Millennium Development Goals, issues of domestic poverty, climate change and care for the earth, as well as the ongoing need to contextualize the gospel. As Presiding Bishop, she was charged to speak God's word to the church and to the world. Bishop Jefferts Schori's career as an oceanographer preceded her studies for the priesthood, to which she was ordained in 1994. She holds a B.S. in biology from Stanford University, an M.S. and Ph.D. in oceanography from Oregon State University, an M.Div. from Church Divinity School of the Pacific, and several honorary doctoral degrees. She remains an active, instrument-rated pilot – a skill she applied when traveling between the congregations of the Diocese of Nevada, where she was elected bishop in 2000 and ordained to the episcopate February 24, 2001. At the time of her election as bishop of Nevada, she was a priest, university lecturer, and hospice chaplain in Oregon."

What it does not say is:
- She ordained homosexual priests and bishops
- She enacted changes in church doctrine that included same-sex-marriage
- She led The Episcopal Church (TEC) in the abandonment of the Gospel of Jesus Christ for an inclusive and social gospel
- Under her leadership she forced congregations and priests who did not embrace TEC's apostasy and heresy out of the denomination, their buildings and the ministry
- Under her leadership she enacted a "scorched-earth" policy of lawsuits against both congregations and ministers, using the deep pockets of TEC to bankrupt those who appose her
- Under her leadership there has been a systemic replacement of conservative Bishops and a sea-change in TEC related colleges and universities away from the traditional Anglican confession
- Her leadership influence has resulted in the global Anglican community placing TEC on "probation" for leaving the faith

As an example, at the National Cathedral in Washington - Muslims have been welcome to hold prayers - New Age spiritualism has been preached - the LBGTQ community has been given preference and the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been denounced from the pulpit.

However, her PhD is real (though it was in oceanography). What is Dr. Conn's PhD in?

My point is, yes, call a real PhD "doctor", but lets not forget the fact that education, even of the highest level, is no defense from heresy and apostasy.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
4/16/18 6:23 am

Post Link
Was Whittenburg accredited in the 1500's?
4/16/18 9:43 pm

Post Will Rogers said ... Mat
Will Rogers said, "There is nothing so stupid as an educated man, if you get him off the thing he was educated in."

We should honor those who have earned the title "Doctor" in front of their name. I'm sure not going to call my physician or dentist something less than the title they earned, and I will gladly refer to those in the profession/religious world by their earned title, especially in the public arena.

(Here it is) However, as the resume I posted above (Katharine Jefferts Schori) shows, academic achievement does not in itself translate to Spiritual insight. The full effect of Dr. Conn's impact on Lee University will reveal itself in the next generation. We know it is a "Church of God Institution", but will it still be an institution reflecting its holiness/pentecostal foundation? For that matter will it still be a "Christian" institution?

Just as highly educated men and women have degraded our governmental, financial and our educational systems, leading them away from God's Word; so it is that many Christian institutions, once the bulwark or the Faith, have suffered under the leadership of well-educated men and women.

Time will tell.

Mat

PS What was Dr. Conn's PhD in?
Acts Enthusiast
4/17/18 7:50 am

Post Re: Will Rogers said ... UncleJD
Mat wrote:

PS What was Dr. Conn's PhD in?

Psychology? Its been a while since I heard.

There are very few speakers that I've ever loved to hear so much as Dr. Conn. His Psych 101 class was one of my favorite classes. He once brought a bus load of Lee U students all the way to Texas when a young man at our church died in Cleveland a week before classes started for what would have been his freshman year, and he gave one of the most inspiring eulogies I've ever heard. Its so hard for me to think anything negative regarding him. It almost seems like things have "gotten away" from him more than he has done anything purposefully to break down the traditional values once held. I think I'll just pray for the school today.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
4/17/18 8:12 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic