Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

OTCP...guess what?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post OTCP...guess what? Aaron Scott
I don't recall if International Christian College and Seminary (Debary, FL) is one that we have discussed here, but today I received a letter from a prisoner in Alaska. He is asking for assistance in obtaining funds (paid directly to the seminary) so that he can obtain a theological degree and enter the ministry upon getting out of prison.

Could be a scam, of course, But it did cause me to think that this would be the sort of person that might have little choice but to seek out a non-accredited college. I am a teacher at a prison in Florida, and for those inmates who wish to take college courses (via correspondence), there are apparently precious few schools that serve the prison population.

Consider that such an inmate as the one I have mentioned does his best and obtains a degree from this college/seminary (I do not know if it has accreditation that would pass muster with you), must he never claim his degree, since he had no means to obtain an accredited one? Or, if it's such a big deal with you, will you fund this seemingly sincere young man and ensure that he has a slot at our seminary upon getting out of prison?

Seriously, though, this is exactly the sorts of situations that would seemingly justify getting a degree from a non-accredited school (not a degree mill!), since it is clearly cheaper.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/10/18 4:39 pm

Post Re: OTCP...guess what? Old Time Country Preacher
Aaron Scott wrote:
I don't recall if International Christian College and Seminary (Debary, FL) is one that we have discussed here, but today I received a letter from a prisoner in Alaska. He is asking for assistance in obtaining funds (paid directly to the seminary) so that he can obtain a theological degree and enter the ministry upon getting out of prison.

Could be a scam, of course, But it did cause me to think that this would be the sort of person that might have little choice but to seek out a non-accredited college. I am a teacher at a prison in Florida, and for those inmates who wish to take college courses (via correspondence), there are apparently precious few schools that serve the prison population.

Consider that such an inmate as the one I have mentioned does his best and obtains a degree from this college/seminary (I do not know if it has accreditation that would pass muster with you), must he never claim his degree, since he had no means to obtain an accredited one? Or, if it's such a big deal with you, will you fund this seemingly sincere young man and ensure that he has a slot at our seminary upon getting out of prison?

Seriously, though, this is exactly the sorts of situations that would seemingly justify getting a degree from a non-accredited school (not a degree mill!), since it is clearly cheaper.

Here is the skool: www.iccscampus.org

Here is the unrecognized accrediting agency: www.joinitaa.com/what_we_do.php

It is a commendable thing to facilitate prisoners as they are reintroduced into society. If Bible training is what they want, award a certificate/diploma. If they need a degree, there is no reason to stoop to the level of unaccredited places such the one you highlighted.
Acts-pert Poster
3/10/18 5:37 pm

Post Re: OTCP...guess what? Nature Boy Florida
Aaron Scott wrote:

Please name the Christian schools that do not allow prisoners to take classes? They need to be called out for being Pharisees. Please let us know as soon as possible Aaron.
3/11/18 11:29 am

Post NBF... Aaron Scott
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Please name the Christian schools that do not allow prisoners to take classes? They need to be called out for being Pharisees. Please let us know as soon as possible Aaron.

NBF, I don't know about Christian schools. I do know that there are apparently universities that cater to the prison population via correspondence courses, etc. I had to proctor an inmates final exams in certain subjects. Our prisoners don't have computer access, so they must rely on correspondence.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
3/11/18 11:40 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic