Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
@actscelerate Twitter  @actscelerate Facebook  @actscelerate Google+ 

Past indiscretions many years ago RE: Memphis Pastor

 
   Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Past indiscretions many years ago RE: Memphis Pastor caseyleejones
Fast forward 15 years later....

I am sure you have all read of the Memphis pastor who is quite successful as well as a published author. I have never heard of the guy. But he had a past indiscretion many years ago when he was 20 and a girl was 17.

How does one, a spouse, or church for that matter reconcile such a matter? He did wrong but seems to have repented.

Should he at that time gone to the police to make things right? The age difference wasn't much. It seems he has been on track since that event and seem to have come to himself in the 10 minute incident.

When is the past the past?
Acts-perienced Poster
Posts: 11255
1/12/18 12:41 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Re: Past indiscretions many years ago RE: Memphis Pastor Nature Boy Florida
caseyleejones wrote:
Fast forward 15 years later....

I am sure you have all read of the Memphis pastor who is quite successful as well as a published author. I have never heard of the guy. But he had a past indiscretion many years ago when he was 20 and a girl was 17.

How does one, a spouse, or church for that matter reconcile such a matter? He did wrong but seems to have repented.

Should he at that time gone to the police to make things right? The age difference wasn't much. It seems he has been on track since that event and seem to have come to himself in the 10 minute incident.

When is the past the past?


If he is a Congressman or Hollywood type - he should be crucified.
_________________
Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going today!
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15841
1/12/18 1:30 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Quiet Wyatt
I’m thinking he’s probably toast ministry-wise, especially since he was a 22-year-old youth minister at the time of his ‘indiscretion.’ But, the fact that his present church gave him a standing ovation after he addressed it with them does make me wonder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/sexual-misconduct/memphis-pastor-admits-sexual-incident-teen-20-years-ago-gets-n836511
Acts-perienced Poster
Posts: 12207
1/12/18 2:10 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Another perspective (L) bonnie knox
Here are some suggestions on a post written by one of the bloggers who was involved in breaking the story. This blogger predicted the standing ovation, btw.
http://thewartburgwatch.com/2018/01/10/highpoint-church-a-tww-tutorial-on-how-not-to-handle-an-andy-savage-metoo-church-service/

There are a couple of other posts which can give you some background on the story if you are interested. I'm not really offering my own opinion, here, just linking to some opinions that might round out perspectives.

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2018/01/05/i-thought-he-was-taking-me-for-ice-cream-one-womans-metoo-story-of-molestation-by-her-former-youth-pastor-andy-savage/

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2018/01/08/more-developments-as-well-as-the-drop-the-mic-moments-in-the-andy-savage-highpoint-memphis-metoo-situation/
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
1/12/18 2:54 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: Another perspective (L) Mat
bonnie knox wrote:
Here are some suggestions on a post written by one of the bloggers who was involved in breaking the story. This blogger predicted the standing ovation, btw.
http://thewartburgwatch.com/2018/01/10/highpoint-church-a-tww-tutorial-on-how-not-to-handle-an-andy-savage-metoo-church-service/

There are a couple of other posts which can give you some background on the story if you are interested. I'm not really offering my own opinion, here, just linking to some opinions that might round out perspectives.

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2018/01/05/i-thought-he-was-taking-me-for-ice-cream-one-womans-metoo-story-of-molestation-by-her-former-youth-pastor-andy-savage/

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2018/01/08/more-developments-as-well-as-the-drop-the-mic-moments-in-the-andy-savage-highpoint-memphis-metoo-situation/


I found the first link to be a good read. If offered some very good insights into how leadership of the church "spun" the story. The detail of the similarity between the church in Nashville and Memphis was interesting. I have read a few articles and watched the video of a portion of the service, and it seems clear to me that their (the church) "damage control" may open the door for more bad than good, especially related to the victim, and her advocates.

This again points to the "identification" culture churches promote to gender loyalty. The concept that we are the coolest Christians because we go to the coolest church, with the coolest music, and have the latest technology (which is cool of course) and of course we have the coolest pastor who has the coolest life and family and it would be so cool to be just like him. So when something not so cool blows into the church, you handle it by doubling down on the cool. You amp up the music and get the cool pastor to handle the situation with a cool explanation and proper amount of humility and tears.

I feel they would be better off to tell the pastor to stay home with his family, have the elders tell the church what they know and what they are doing about it, place someone in as intern and promise updates as more is known.

My question is, did the church in Texas which handled the issue wrong in the first place violate the law? Also, with there be a rape charge?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
Posts: 1579
1/12/18 4:23 pm


View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Reply with quote
Post Re: Past indiscretions many years ago RE: Memphis Pastor Cojak
caseyleejones wrote:
...
The age difference wasn't much. It seems he has been on track since that event and seem to have come to himself in the 10 minute incident.

When is the past the past?


Some would say in the 10 minutes he committed 'date rape'. Some would say he was a person of authority figure and took advantage, much like a policeman who commits a crime. You also must consider the 'reputation' of both. In any case you need a legal opinion in this day. I certainly have a problem with a church giving a standing ovation when a man stands and confesses, AFTER HIS SIN HAS BEEN EXPOSED. There is such a thing as crossing the line when someone else is involved.

I have lived with a problem for 61 years where some fool exposed himself (and a lot more) to my wife as a teen and damaged her for life. I think I would have no problem beating him to a pulp for his damage to her mind. About the time she was coping, that PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER WORD head JS, that she admired started chasing whores. Believe me it is real. This girl/woman was as pure as the driven snow and ministers they RESPECTED disappointed and took advantage of them.
You may feel like I am the worst of the worst, but this guy should be shot.
Any YOUTH pastor who USES a girl deserves the same.

Yeah, I am crying about now, but you must listen to someone that this has happened to to understand. ?Go ahead judge a little Embarassed
_________________
Some facts but mostly just my opinion!
jacsher@aol.com
http://shipslog-jack.blogspot.com/
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
Posts: 22013
1/13/18 12:28 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Re: Past indiscretions many years ago RE: Memphis Pastor Mat
Cojak wrote:
caseyleejones wrote:
...
The age difference wasn't much. It seems he has been on track since that event and seem to have come to himself in the 10 minute incident.

When is the past the past?


Some would say in the 10 minutes he committed 'date rape'. Some would say he was a person of authority figure and took advantage, much like a policeman who commits a crime. You also must consider the 'reputation' of both. In any case you need a legal opinion in this day. I certainly have a problem with a church giving a standing ovation when a man stands and confesses, AFTER HIS SIN HAS BEEN EXPOSED. There is such a thing as crossing the line when someone else is involved.

I have lived with a problem for 61 years where some fool exposed himself (and a lot more) to my wife as a teen and damaged her for life. I think I would have no problem beating him to a pulp for his damage to her mind. About the time she was coping, that PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER WORD head JS, that she admired started chasing whores. Believe me it is real. This girl/woman was as pure as the driven snow and ministers they RESPECTED disappointed and took advantage of them.
You may feel like I am the worst of the worst, but this guy should be shot.
Any YOUTH pastor who USES a girl deserves the same.

Yeah, I am crying about now, but you must listen to someone that this has happened to to understand. ?Go ahead judge a little Embarassed


I can understand your feelings/thinking related to the former pastor in Memphis due to your wife's lifelong pain resulting from the assault she suffered. I think this is where the civil justice system can be the great arbitrator of justice. Churches are not able, nor should they engage in, an in house court/justice system regarding crime, especially in this case. There are too many vested interest and institutions that would rather see the issue go away rather than do right by the victim.

When the Apostle Paul talked about not taking a brother to court, he was addressing civil disputes, not crime (in my opinion). Crime should be reported to the authorities (and it is a crime not to report assaults on minors, no matter the age difference), and the church's job is to love and pray for both victim and accused as they allow the courts to do their work. No, the justice system is not perfect, but if it fails to do what the law demands, at least the church has not "stepped" into something it should not.

So if someone is accused in a case like this, they should not look to the church for cover or vindication, they should get a good lawyer. If a minor is harmed in any way related to the church or staff, call the authorities. All ministers are mandated to do so in such cases.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
Posts: 1579
1/13/18 9:00 am


View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Reply with quote
Post Re: Past indiscretions many years ago RE: Memphis Pastor Nature Boy Florida
Cojak wrote:
caseyleejones wrote:
...
The age difference wasn't much. It seems he has been on track since that event and seem to have come to himself in the 10 minute incident.

When is the past the past?


Some would say in the 10 minutes he committed 'date rape'. Some would say he was a person of authority figure and took advantage, much like a policeman who commits a crime. You also must consider the 'reputation' of both. In any case you need a legal opinion in this day. I certainly have a problem with a church giving a standing ovation when a man stands and confesses, AFTER HIS SIN HAS BEEN EXPOSED. There is such a thing as crossing the line when someone else is involved.

I have lived with a problem for 61 years where some fool exposed himself (and a lot more) to my wife as a teen and damaged her for life. I think I would have no problem beating him to a pulp for his damage to her mind. About the time she was coping, that PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER WORD head JS, that she admired started chasing whores. Believe me it is real. This girl/woman was as pure as the driven snow and ministers they RESPECTED disappointed and took advantage of them.
You may feel like I am the worst of the worst, but this guy should be shot.
Any YOUTH pastor who USES a girl deserves the same.

Yeah, I am crying about now, but you must listen to someone that this has happened to to understand. ?Go ahead judge a little Embarassed


Right on Cojak.
Tired of ministers getting away with PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER WORD. I've seen it my whole life. the lifelong destruction they leave in their wake due to taking advantage of their authority with naive, or young women is pathetic.

NBF has been ridiculed on this forum for taking a hard line on this PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER WORD - but that minister should not be allowed to "lead" again until the folks he hurt have been fully restored.

I am glad to see that Hollywood finally agrees that the "restore the sexual deviant" back to his previous status (re: Polanski, Weinstein, Clinton, etc...) is a total slap in the face to those he hurt. I wish Christians would figure this out.
Evil or Very Mad
_________________
Whether you like it or not, learn to love it, because its the best thing going today!
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15841
1/13/18 9:47 am


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Da Sheik
The standing ovation is incredibly insensitive to the victim. As Cojak mentioned, the confession/apology subsequent to being exposed somehow seems a little disingenuous. Acts Enthusiast
Posts: 1496
1/13/18 5:54 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Old Time Country Preacher
Da Sheik wrote:
The confession/apology subsequent to being exposed somehow seems a little disingenuous.



He said in the video that just after it all happened he confessed/apologized to the girl, her parents, the pastoral staff of the church, and to the church. So it ain't like he kept it hid all these years an is just now apologizin.


Now if Polanski, Weinstein, Weiner, Cosby, Paulk, Clinton and ilk hadda apologized right after their episodes happened, they woulda been apologizin bout ever week their entire adult life.
Acts-pert Poster
Posts: 15480
1/13/18 6:32 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post bonnie knox
Quote:
He said in the video that just after it all happened he confessed/apologized to the girl, her parents, the pastoral staff of the church, and to the church. So it ain't like he kept it hid all these years an is just now apologizin.


What exactly did he confess to? According to the young woman, the church was only told that he "made a mistake."
Quote:
An incident happened that stuck in her mind. The church never announced that he was being fired. Instead, they had Savage go before the church and say he made a mistake and that was time for him to move on.The rumor was that he had kissed a girl.

The blog I referenced also said "She later learned that her parents never truly learned the full story of what had happened." I can't verify that, but it does make one wonder.
The young woman said the associate pastor, Larry Cotton, made clear to her not to tell anyone else about it.
Also this--"Austin Stone Church has placed on leave Larry Cotton. He was the Associate Pastor at Woodlands whom Woodson told about her assault when it happened. According to Woodson’s account, Cotton covered up and lied about the abuse instead of reporting it. Austin Stone is hiring a third party investigative firm to look into Cotton’s decisions in that case."
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
Posts: 14803
1/13/18 7:33 pm


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Cojak
bonnie knox wrote:
Quote:
He said in the video that just after it all happened he confessed/apologized to the girl, her parents, the pastoral staff of the church, and to the church. So it ain't like he kept it hid all these years an is just now apologizin.


What exactly did he confess to? According to the young woman, the church was only told that he "made a mistake."
Quote:
An incident happened that stuck in her mind. The church never announced that he was being fired. Instead, they had Savage go before the church and say he made a mistake and that was time for him to move on.The rumor was that he had kissed a girl.

The blog I referenced also said "She later learned that her parents never truly learned the full story of what had happened." I can't verify that, but it does make one wonder.
The young woman said the associate pastor, Larry Cotton, made clear to her not to tell anyone else about it.
Also this--"Austin Stone Church has placed on leave Larry Cotton. He was the Associate Pastor at Woodlands whom Woodson told about her assault when it happened. According to Woodson’s account, Cotton covered up and lied about the abuse instead of reporting it. Austin Stone is hiring a third party investigative firm to look into Cotton’s decisions in that case."

Thumb Up That was my take...

I personally know a man who 'kissed a 16 year old girl 'and was on the molester list for 8 years. He was not a minister, just a neighbor. Embarassed
_________________
Some facts but mostly just my opinion!
jacsher@aol.com
http://shipslog-jack.blogspot.com/
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
Posts: 22013
1/13/18 11:13 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Post Cojak
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Da Sheik wrote:
The confession/apology subsequent to being exposed somehow seems a little disingenuous.



He said in the video that just after it all happened he confessed/apologized to the girl, her parents, the pastoral staff of the church, and to the church. So it ain't like he kept it hid all these years an is just now apologizin.


Now if Polanski, Weinstein, Weiner, Cosby, Paulk, Clinton and ilk hadda apologized right after their episodes happened, they woulda been apologizin bout ever week their entire adult life.


A mistake is not illegal, what he did was! Evil or Very Mad What is this the old school:SHE ASKED FOR IT!!!! He was supposed to be a religious leader for heavens sake! You don't think so, but he ruined that girls young life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see a thing funny in the cute remark about the high profile losers being worse than him! Embarassed
_________________
Some facts but mostly just my opinion!
jacsher@aol.com
http://shipslog-jack.blogspot.com/
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
Posts: 22013
1/13/18 11:17 pm


View user's profile Send private message
Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Acts-celerate Terms of Use | Acts-celerate Policy
World News Network | Acts-celerate Chat
Contact the Administrator.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group :: Spelling by SpellingCow.