Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Dallas Church of God
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Dallas Church of God COGLayman
I just watched the Dallas, NC, Church of God on line tonight. Their services remind me of what things were like growing up in the church. There are so few churches like this today. If I could find a church like this within 50 miles I would go there. What a great church! Friendly Face
12/3/17 9:22 pm

Post Cojak
Dallas is well known in the Gaston County area of North Carolina as the 'fundamental' hard or true line COG. Bro Shortridge is well respected for his 'hard line' (some call it that) to remember the early days of 'Holiness'. Dallas is a well respected church. Good folk. Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
12/3/17 11:19 pm

Post Dallas Ga COG JLarry
My brother became the pastor of the Dallas Ga COG in Feb 1976. He pastored there for almost 20 years. He followed Sammy Cutshall, Brians father there.

No one who died without Christ is happy about their decision.
Acts Mod
12/4/17 10:39 am

Post Dallas COG/NC Aaron Scott
I occasionally watch them online. Indeed, I love that kind of singing and service. If I lived in the area, I'd want to go there...but, alas, I think we would probably be looked upon somewhat as outcasts due to the way my wife dresses (modest, but with jewelry, etc.)

But being raised the way I was, I'd love to a part of that church if I lived there. They seem to really love the Lord.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
12/4/17 11:33 am

Post sheepdogandy
A common sentiment.

We have several folks who drive from neighboring counties to attend our church for this very reason.

Real Holiness is not harshness or condemnation.

Real Pentecost is not gimmicks and cheap theatricals.

One brother told that if the word got out about us in the next county, we would be pressed to accommodate the number of folks who would "show up for church".

www.spwc.church
12/4/17 12:12 pm

Post SouthGeorgiaBoy
It is sad that many like our Brother Shortridge and others like him feel that there is not a place for them in the Church of God anymore. They are considered old line and harsh. However, they are only living and preaching the way that we taught them to live. They just have remained true to what they were instructed.

I hope that we will always have churches like this.
Acts Enthusiast
12/4/17 7:26 pm

Post Cojak
I won't join in with them. I can definitely worship with them. i would not offend anyone who is dedicated to holding the 1950's line. God Bless 'em.

I am not better, wiser, smarter nor more holy than anyone who 'toes that line', but I do see things different.
I am considered very liberal by my friends at Dallas, but I love 'em. Cool

None of them have said I am going to hell, but I do get that impression. Smile
12/4/17 10:42 pm

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Bro. Shortridge has a good reputation in the COG. I don't live in the area or even near it, but, if I did, that would be my kind of church. They don't put on a show - just plain worship - I like that.

I hate performances that I have seen in a lot of our churches. Some of the ladies look pathetic - tight blue jeans in heels and jumping up and down - service is so programed - down to the minute. Leaves God out and LOUDNESS is mistaken for the anointing. We older ones know the difference.

Dallas just keeps on worshipping and ministering to souls and remain faithful to God. Good pastor for sure.
Friendly Face
12/4/17 11:06 pm

Post Cojak
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:
Bro. Shortridge has a good reputation in the COG. I don't live in the area or even near it, but, if I did, that would be my kind of church. They don't put on a show - just plain worship - I like that.

I hate performances that I have seen in a lot of our churches. Some of the ladies look pathetic - tight blue jeans in heels and jumping up and down -[b] service is so programed - down to the minute. Leaves God out and LOUDNESS is mistaken for the anointing. We older ones know the difference[/b].

Dallas just keeps on worshipping and ministering to souls and remain faithful to God. Good pastor for sure.

You sure about that? Down to the minute?

I have attended lately services that the minister was THROUGH (observing the congregation) but he kept on saying one good thing after another for 30 more minutes. Half his congregation was gone when he dismissed and he didn't seem to know it. That church has dropped from 150 to 35 in worship in a year.

Schedules in 2017 are important. Nothing is wrong with closing a service on time or the 'minute' as you say. But if you have a children's church or Teen group, they end on /Sunday normally at Noon. A pastor places these volunteer leaders at a disadvantage by extending his service ON A REG BASIS 30 minutes past the normal dismissal.

(Normally noon). I heard one of the MOST RESPECTED PREACHERS IN THE COG say don't tell me you can't stop at noon on Sunday. If you had a plane to catch at 1300 you would!.

Just my observations. If my God set the sun, moon and stars in motion, no man can stop HIM from being there.
12/6/17 1:09 am

Post FLRon
Cojak wrote:
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:

I hate performances that I have seen in a lot of our churches. Some of the ladies look pathetic - tight blue jeans in heels and jumping up and down -[b] service is so programed - down to the minute. Leaves God out and LOUDNESS is mistaken for the anointing. We older ones know the difference[/b].

I have attended lately services that the minister was THROUGH (observing the congregation) but he kept on saying one good thing after another for 30 more minutes. Half his congregation was gone when he dismissed and he didn't seem to know it. That church has dropped from 150 to 35 in worship in a year.

Schedules in 2017 are important. Nothing is wrong with closing a service on time or the 'minute' as you say. But if you have a children's church or Teen group, they end on /Sunday normally at Noon. A pastor places these volunteer leaders at a disadvantage by extending his service ON A REG BASIS 30 minutes past the normal dismissal.

(Normally noon). I heard one of the MOST RESPECTED PREACHERS IN THE COG say don't tell me you can't stop at noon on Sunday. If you had a plane to catch at 1300 you would!.

Just my observations. If my God set the sun, moon and stars in motion, no man can stop HIM from being there.

Our pastor has prayer time after each and every service where he will call to the front anyone needing prayer. Invariably, as soon as the call is made a % of the people head for the door. By the time everyone has been prayed for, there are even fewer left.
Funny thing is, I remember when everyone stayed to help pray for their brothers and sisters, and wouldn’t think of leaving them. What changed? Of course, there are times when you have to leave at a certain time, but every week? When did church become such an inconvenience?
12/6/17 10:20 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Cojak wrote:
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:

I know of a COG that has the service down to the minute. It is outlined by each song, for example, song #1 is 3 min and so many seconds, announcements are 2.3 min and preacher gets the microphone at 11:30. You can set your clock as to what is happening next. I have seen the program paper and so has other members of the family. I realize people have to have a general outline - not against that -but to know the exact minute for everything surely does program a move of God in the service. What about souls who need ministering to? What if they have a need and it might exceed the stopping time? People usually stand around the fellowship anyway. Sure, we all have situations where there is a time limit - buses have to roll or kids need to be picked up but the person who is in charge of that department should know that God takes first place and adjust.
I also know of another church that has a general structure and if the music is not ministering and the congregation is not responding to the singing, that pastor will go and take the microphone and start singing a song and get the people involved in worshipping. He has 3 morning services and does have a time limit but God still shows up and they have great services. AND yes, they also have Sunday night service.
It can be done but we need to let God have his perfect will. He knows the needs of the people in that particular church service. Someone could be in eternity before the next service.
Friendly Face
12/6/17 10:37 am

Post Like A Tree
SouthGeorgiaBoy wrote:
It is sad that many like our Brother Shortridge and others like him feel that there is not a place for them in the Church of God anymore. They are considered old line and harsh. However, they are only living and preaching the way that we taught them to live. They just have remained true to what they were instructed.

I hope that we will always have churches like this.

AMEN Very Happy
12/6/17 11:04 am

Post Like A Tree
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:

I hate performances that I have seen in a lot of our churches. Some of the ladies look pathetic - tight blue jeans in heels and jumping up and down - service is so programed - down to the minute. Leaves God out and LOUDNESS is mistaken for the anointing. We older ones know the difference.

AMEN Very Happy I am not that old unless you consider middle age old. The church I attend does a variety of music. Some old some new but always done well and dressed appropriately, but not old fogie (is that a word) either. Our pastor preaches the word and lets God move but also doesn't hold the congregation hostage.

I LOVE my church. It has everything. Not extreme one way or the other.

The Holy spirit moves.
Sing Hymns
Sing modern songs.
Has a full blown choir that does musical and such.
Even a handbell choir.
Some 50's style thrown in as one person stated.

GOD is good. Laughing
12/6/17 11:11 am

Post THE LOVE OF GOD
Like A Tree wrote:
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:

AMEN Very Happy I am not that old unless you consider middle age old. The church I attend does a variety of music. Some old some new but always done well and dressed appropriately, but not old fogie (is that a word) either. Our pastor preaches the word and lets God move but also doesn't hold the congregation hostage.

The Holy spirit moves.
Sing Hymns
Sing modern songs.
Even a handbell choir.

GOD is good. Laughing

Fantastic!!
Friendly Face
12/7/17 11:38 am

Post Cojak
There are many churches where the pastor calls everyone forward after church, and yes lots of folk 'head for the door'.

I stopped going forward a long time ago. With my hearing problem, WITHOUT fail, someone will try to talk to me. When I say Sorry, I cannot hear in a crowd, they speak LOUDER, AND LOUDER! COG folk love to talk to one another anywhere, even in a prayer line or prayer group. I cannot do it anymore.

Most seniors (over 60) do not hear well, people mumble and in a crowd iT is worse. That said. I suggested once that the same prayer could be just before the sermon, or in the middle of the praise and worship, even during the praise and worship. Preachers can Multi task. Since I try to do a lot of lip reading I watch the pastor, even when he is praying. Before the sermon he is moving his water, arranging his notes moving stuff and at the same time fervently praying. Surely he can pray for the sick and needy during praise and worship, IF THAT IS A PROBLEM.

Actually some folk feel more religious staying past that noon dismissal which has been decided by 'the nominal' churches that cannot allow God to work.
Sorry to sound a little warped, but that is me. I still love the Lord and know He loves me. He is GOOD! Cool

But toeing the line 1950's style does not mean anyone is closer to God than those who do not. Tradition does not amount to Holiness. I have several kin folk who still live the old line. I love them, I probably judge them too harshly the way they do me. But they come across as good Biblical Pharisees.

I only attended Central Church once. I had the idea they were time conscience, but I also felt the Great Spirit of God in that service. One of the best churches I have ever had the privilege of attending, and it had nothing to do with the size. That morning Loran lead the choir, took prayer requests and received the offering (Just like many pastors did that morning). He dedidated 10 babies and preached a moving sermon and still dismissed at noon! Just saying...
12/7/17 5:25 pm

Post Cojak
THE LOVE OF GOD wrote:

The Holy spirit moves.
Sing Hymns
Sing modern songs.
Even a handbell choir.

GOD is good. Laughing

Fantastic!![/quote]

I can like that! Thumb Up

And the handbells. We visited an Alliance church lately and they had the hand bells. I can hear bells!!!! Smile Cool
12/7/17 6:47 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
In case any of you are interested, I saw in a FB group today that the Dallas COG has a FB page and you can watch their services there. They also have Youtube page.
1/4/18 10:07 pm

Post Sometimes the best blessing comes after most have left the building. Aaron Scott
A number of times I have seen people leave not long after altar call, only for the Lord to rain down a tremendous move of the Spirit just a few minutes later. It might be that God reserved a special blessing for those who stayed...or it might mean the right people had left the building. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
1/5/18 6:25 am

Post Re: Sometimes the best blessing comes after most have left the building. Cojak
Aaron Scott wrote:
...or it might mean the right people had left the building.

Shocked Shocked Smile
1/7/18 10:32 am

Post Re: Sometimes the best blessing comes after most have left the building. THE LOVE OF GOD
Aaron Scott wrote:
A number of times I have seen people leave not long after altar call, only for the Lord to rain down a tremendous move of the Spirit just a few minutes later. It might be that God reserved a special blessing for those who stayed...or it might mean the right people had left the building.

I have seen that many times.
Friendly Face
1/7/18 10:44 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic