Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

what is the church of god way of trying for a church?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post what is the church of god way of trying for a church? PastorJackson
I understand a church in Mcallen is lost its pastor and I wanted to make sure I was going the correct way to get the overseer to consider me. I sent a resume to him and told him I would like the church since I am down here and retired I make a good choice additionally if he had someone else I would be happy to fill in as temporary Pastor. Thanks.
http://www.facebook.com/jackson.plant
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
11/17/17 5:36 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
A follow-up phone call a day or two after the resume arrives would be a good idea. Also, references from your previous pastor(s) and state overseer(s) would be important. Sending a resume and cover letter alone is unlikely to get a response, in my experience. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/17/17 5:48 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
You also might want to talk to the district overseer. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/17/17 7:29 pm

Post PastorJackson
Thank you so much.
Quiet Wyatt wrote:
You also might want to talk to the district overseer.

http://www.facebook.com/jackson.plant
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
11/17/17 7:52 pm

Post Resident Skeptic
Interesting area. Not too many Anglos, but still a very American feeling city.

I ran over a human speedbump there in 2008. Literally a dead body in the middle of the expressway.
11/17/17 10:17 pm

Post Re: what is the church of god way of trying for a church? skinnybishop
PastorJackson wrote:
I understand a church in Mcallen is lost its pastor and I wanted to make sure I was going the correct way to get the overseer to consider me. I sent a resume to him and told him I would like the church since I am down here and retired I make a good choice additionally if he had someone else I would be happy to fill in as temporary Pastor. Thanks.

There is no uniform process, for the denomination, and, I assume, for the states. I know there is no uniform process in our state.

"Call the overseer", when you hear of a vacancy through the grapevine" isn't a process, in my opinion. However that is what you will usually hear. Sometimes AB's don't want prospective pastors to contact them....they want to contact candidates.

I wish all pastoral vaccancies would be posted, and "applied for" online. Every state could have its own openings posted. That is a process.

To answer your question simply, it depends on the overseer

The way it stands
11/18/17 5:22 am

Post Re: what is the church of god way of trying for a church? Mat
skinnybishop wrote:
PastorJackson wrote:

There is no uniform process, for the denomination, and, I assume, for the states. I know there is no uniform process in our state.

"Call the overseer", when you hear of a vacancy through the grapevine" isn't a process, in my opinion. However that is what you will usually hear. Sometimes AB's don't want prospective pastors to contact them....they want to contact candidates.

I wish all pastoral vaccancies would be posted, and "applied for" online. Every state could have its own openings posted. That is a process.

To answer your question simply, it depends on the overseer

The way it stands

The power to appoint pastors is the "foundation" of the state bishop's office. A system in which local churches choose candidates and the state office is relegated to certifying that candidates are "hire-able" undercuts the main reason churches have to listen to the state bishop. It would seem that if a pastoral candidate is in "good standing" (as in his/her ordination has not been revoked) that should be enough approval from the state office. The local church could do the background checks (criminal, drug, credit, etc) and contact past churches along with the candidate's references listed on the resume.

If I remember right, when state overseers were first introduced in the COG, helping small churches find pastors, planting new churches and "setting forth" new ministers was the primary role of the overseer. In most Pentecostal denominations today, the role is more administrative, as in who's reporting and how much, control of property and control of who will be pastor of the local churches. If you're an overseer of a state with just a few local churches, administrative duties alone leaves you with a lot of time on your hands. Some use that time to further their education, others their golf game, or they spend much time in revival and speaking engagements (often outside their state).

Today we must "kiss the ring" of the Bishop to validate our ministries in the denominations.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
11/18/17 7:56 am

Post Quite frankly... roughridercog
If you already have a church, it is easier to get another church. Take a small church about to fold, do the best you can with it, then ask for a transfer. That way you will have a church to put into the trading mix.

Sounds kind of carnal doesn't it?

Sometimes God moves in spite of us. Laughing
11/18/17 11:48 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
I get the impression that it is usual for state overseers to look at a candidate’s present ministry assignment as a very important factor to consider, regardless of whether the candidate’s present church is ‘tradeable’ or not. My impression is that ‘swaps’ are not nearly as common as they used to be in the CoG. But, an overseer definitely has to consider what a candidate has shown himself capable of thus far, when considering possibly appointing him to a new position. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
11/18/17 12:31 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic