Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Kneeling IN PRAYER vs. Standing for National Anthem...

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Kneeling IN PRAYER vs. Standing for National Anthem... Aaron Scott
I see that someone has found the "key" to how to protest in a way that is hard to discredit. A white Cleveland Browns player (who is married to an African American) knelt (in a prayer circle) with several of his teammates instead of standing for the National Anthem.

I have to admit that I respect that a whole lot more than just taking a knee. If they are actually praying that God heals the racial divide, etc., so much the better.

Thoughts?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/22/17 3:26 pm

Post Re: Kneeling IN PRAYER vs. Standing for National Anthem... UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:
I see that someone has found the "key" to how to protest in a way that is hard to discredit. A white Cleveland Browns player (who is married to an African American) knelt (in a prayer circle) with several of his teammates instead of standing for the National Anthem.

I have to admit that I respect that a whole lot more than just taking a knee. If they are actually praying that God heals the racial divide, etc., so much the better.

Thoughts?

There's plenty of time to pray for racial reconciliation before, during, after the game. Doing it during the National anthem is grandstanding. Using prayer to grandstand sits wrong with me.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/22/17 3:47 pm

Post Re: Kneeling IN PRAYER vs. Standing for National Anthem... Aaron Scott
UncleJD wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

Thoughts?

There's plenty of time to pray for racial reconciliation before, during, after the game. Doing it during the National anthem is grandstanding. Using prayer to grandstand sits wrong with me.

Yes, but if you are going to protest, I think that kneeling in PRAYER--versus just kneeling so you aren't standing--is the way to go. I can respect that.
8/23/17 11:08 am

Post Re: Kneeling IN PRAYER vs. Standing for National Anthem... UncleJD
Aaron Scott wrote:

Yes, but if you are going to protest, I think that kneeling in PRAYER--versus just kneeling so you aren't standing--is the way to go. I can respect that.

I see your point, but I keep thinking of Mathew 6:5

Quote:
And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/23/17 11:46 am

Post bonnie knox
Just move to another country if you can't stand (when you are physically able) for the national anthem.

Idea
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
8/23/17 12:49 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
I was not aware that he was supposed to be kneeling in prayer until I got a private message about it. I agree it's good to kneel in prayer but IMHO, doing it during the National Anthem is very disrespectful. I thought about that when I sang it at a local baseball game last month and was thankful they were all standing.
8/23/17 3:20 pm

Post Cojak
It might be construed to be 'sacred' BUT, but it is still a protest. I am just not sure I can respect even using a 'prayer' to protest what to some of us is sacred to our country. I love my Lord. I appreciate living in this country. The country is not above God, but it does not prohibit the worship of GOD!

WHAT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME IS WHAT IN THE NAME OF COMMON SENSE ARE THEY PROTESTING?????????????? Most of these guys have proven they can rise above poverty. They are more wealthy than 85% of this country. It is America and Americans (of ever color shape and size) that have allowed them the possibility of earning this wealth.

Confused in virginia

Amen to /Bonnie's comment! Cool
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/23/17 7:15 pm

Post Carolyn Smith
Cojak wrote:
It might be construed to be 'sacred' BUT, but it is still a protest. I am just not sure I can respect even using a 'prayer' to protest what to some of us is sacred to our country. I love my Lord. I appreciate living in this country. The country is not above God, but it does not prohibit the worship of GOD!

WHAT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME IS WHAT IN THE NAME OF COMMON SENSE ARE THEY PROTESTING?????????????? Most of these guys have proven they can rise above poverty. They are more wealthy than 85% of this country. It is America and Americans (of ever color shape and size) that have allowed them the possibility of earning this wealth.

Confused in virginia

Amen to /Bonnie's comment! Cool

According to the "Black0ut" video I received, he is supposed to be raising awareness of the black/brown victims of police violence. Who knew?
8/23/17 8:02 pm

Post Cojak
With the notoriety already in place. There is no need for the 'subtle' PROTEST approach. With all this support why not appoint a good spokesman and a bunch of these guys call a news conference and lay their SPECIFIC GRIPES out to the pubic, then Bow and pray for the betterment. I am sure among all the wealthy college grads someone is articulate! Shocked Shocked Shocked Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/24/17 10:44 am

Post Carolyn... Aaron Scott
I don't know that any of the previous guys were kneeling in prayer. I just recently saw this (regarding the first WHITE player to also protest by not standing).

To one side, it looks like a person hates their country if they don't stand. I think a more suitable explanation is that they are upset that America is not living up to the promises it seems to make regarding equality, etc. Of course, our black brothers and sisters see this from a vantage point that is very different than that of most white folks.

Just as some white folks felt that Obama was somehow "stealing" our nation or twisting it in a manner that was against white folks, well, black folks can see something similar when it comes to the establishment (which is largely white). I'm not saying either side is correct. I am saying, however, that it helps explain their take on things.
8/24/17 11:47 am

Post Carolyn... Aaron Scott
I don't know that any of the previous guys were kneeling in prayer. I just recently saw this (regarding the first WHITE player to also protest by not standing).

To one side, it looks like a person hates their country if they don't stand. I think a more suitable explanation is that they are upset that America is not living up to the promises it seems to make regarding equality, etc. Of course, our black brothers and sisters see this from a vantage point that is very different than that of most white folks.

Just as some white folks felt that Obama was somehow "stealing" our nation or twisting it in a manner that was against white folks, well, black folks can see something similar when it comes to the establishment (which is largely white). I'm not saying either side is correct. I am saying, however, that it helps explain their take on things.
8/24/17 11:48 am

Post Re: Carolyn... Carolyn Smith
Aaron Scott wrote:

The video not only says that, it shows several men who are protesting this by not watching NFL this season, not purchasing their products and spending time in prayer and working to heal the problems that caused all this.

This is the video I saw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuEY9imwkfU
8/26/17 5:48 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic