Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Just Drove by the intersection of MLK Jr Blvd and Jim Crow Street

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Just Drove by the intersection of MLK Jr Blvd and Jim Crow Street Old Time Country Preacher
Don't know who named the streets here, but somethin is awry sommers. Shocked Acts-pert Poster
8/17/17 2:00 pm

Post Re: Just Drove by the intersection of MLK Jr Blvd and Jim Crow Street Resident Skeptic
Old Time Country Preacher wrote:
Don't know who named the streets here, but somethin is awry sommers. Shocked

It seems many blacks today long to be segregated again.
8/18/17 9:14 am

Post Re: Just Drove by the intersection of MLK Jr Blvd and Jim Crow Street Cojak
Resident Skeptic wrote:

It seems many blacks today long to be segregated again.

I am sure of that RS, bur also sure some white folk would too.

My years in the military convinced me WE can work together without stress. For a kid who never attended school with black kids, I look back and think we all missed something.
I have noticed my black and Hispanic friends have brought a lot into my life. I accepted segregation as part of life growing up, very seldom thought a lot about it. I look back now and think many of my seniors, community leaders and politicians who were supposed to be smart WERE NOT!

I admired WAllace being able to articulate his feelings and despised old 'Whatshisname' with the axe handles in Atlanta for his idiocy.

Presently I know we are as a whole headed down the wrong road toward race relations, and get a little in despair until I attend a church like All nations in Newport News and see the children of God worshiping together. What a wonderful feeling. Yeah off subject, but it is how I feel when this subject is brought up. Sad
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
8/18/17 9:47 am

Post UncleJD
My life was richer for every black friend I ever had. Now I feel tension and distrust with many of them after the last 9 years. I'm sick of all of this. Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
8/18/17 9:54 am

Post Resident Skeptic
UncleJD wrote:
My life was richer for every black friend I ever had. Now I feel tension and distrust with many of them after the last 9 years. I'm sick of all of this.

The survival and spread of communism depends on there simply being a division and strife between classes and races. If such strife and mistrust does not exist, they will create it.
8/18/17 10:01 am

Post Re: Just Drove by the intersection of MLK Jr Blvd and Jim Crow Street Mat

Speaking of interesting intersections, there on LEE Highway (Ocoee St.), in front of LEE University, stands a statue of a confederate soldier (it says "CSA" and "1861 - 1865"), and seems to be honoring those who fought for the south. What is LEE University's policy on such statues? Will students not want to attend LEE in the future because of the name? What about on their resume, how will being a graduate of "LEE" be viewed?

So which is it going to be OTCP, MLK or the perception of JIM CROW?

Mat

PS I don't know why there is a "Hardwick" monument. Were the Hardwick secessionists?
Acts Enthusiast
8/18/17 4:36 pm

Post Lee Hwy Mat
Lee Highway (US 11) runs through Lexington, VA as well as Cleveland, TN. Will it become a problem for grads of Washington and Lee University to have "Lee" on their degree/resume?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/20/17 7:27 am

Post sheepdogandy
Hey Ol Timer.

His name is Lester Maddox.

He spoke at my nephew's mandate graduation several years ago.

Everything he expressed concern over has come to pass.

Ain't saying he was a prophet, but he could read the signs of the times.

Oh yeah, he is the only Governor in the history of Georgia to leave office with less money than he had when he was inaugurated.

www.spwc.church
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
8/20/17 9:23 am

Post Re: Lee Hwy Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
Lee Highway (US 11) runs through Lexington, VA as well as Cleveland, TN. Will it become a problem for grads of Washington and Lee University to have "Lee" on their degree/resume?

Mat

Or what of all em what's got degrees from Lee University? It's got the name Lee an it's in the South, this bunch a young thugs today don't know who F J is, they might think it's old Robert E.
Acts-pert Poster
8/20/17 1:30 pm

Post Re: Lee Hwy Mat
Mat wrote:

Mat

Or what of all em what's got degrees from Lee University? It's got the name Lee an it's in the South, this bunch a young thugs today don't know who F J is, they might think it's old Robert E.

That was the point of my first, as well as my question in the second post. I might be trying to "stir-the-pot" a bit, but it is a valid question. I know grads from ORU had some issues at one time, but it seems like Billy Wilson and the Green family have overcome that problem. I think Bob Jones U. grads face some issues as well.

It could be a sincere question in the business or education (outside of Cleveland where COG controls the school system) professions. Some say, "perception is reality", so if the world wrongly equals LEE U. with Robert E. Lee, is the effort to correct the perception to much to ask of the grads? The same logic that is used when changing the name of a local church, could (I said could) be applied to the name of a college/university.

The COG and LEE U are synonymous, and LEE is woven into the very fabric of the church identity. I would say LEE is sacrosanct to most of its grads and COG members and ministers. The future could be challenging.

Mat

PS Was F. J. Lee's family related to Robert E. Lee? Before the civil war, did F. J. Lee's family own slaves? Did F. J. Lee ever support Jim Crow laws or the separation of races in civil and church life? Someone will find the answer to those questions.
Acts Enthusiast
8/20/17 2:08 pm

Post Re: Lee Hwy Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
Mat wrote:

Mat

That was the point of my first, as well as my question in the second post. I might be trying to "stir-the-pot" a bit, but it is a valid question. I know grads from ORU had some issues at one time, but it seems like Billy Wilson and the Green family have overcome that problem. I think Bob Jones U. grads face some issues as well.

It could be a sincere question in the business or education (outside of Cleveland where COG controls the school system) professions. Some say, "perception is reality", so if the world wrongly equals LEE U. with Robert E. Lee, is the effort to correct the perception to much to ask of the grads? The same logic that is used when changing the name of a local church, could (I said could) be applied to the name of a college/university.

The COG and LEE U are synonymous, and LEE is woven into the very fabric of the church identity. I would say LEE is sacrosanct to most of its grads and COG members and ministers. The future could be challenging.

Mat

PS Was F. J. Lee's family related to Robert E. Lee? Before the civil war, did F. J. Lee's family own slaves? Did F. J. Lee ever support Jim Crow laws or the separation of races in civil and church life? Someone will find the answer to those questions.

Don't know whether FJL was into separation or races, but ole Dake in his 4-Column Bible has some perty harsh stuff to say about the Black Man.
Acts-pert Poster
8/20/17 2:50 pm

Post Re: Lee Hwy Mat
Mat wrote:
Mat wrote:

Mat

Mat

Don't know whether FJL was into separation or races, but ole Dake in his 4-Column Bible has some perty harsh stuff to say about the Black Man.

How does it go, "line upon line, precept upon precept"? Sounds like those Dake disciples need to read the scriptures and not the side notes.

By the way, is there no one thinking about the future implications of the name "LEE University" and its ramifications outside the Church of God "culture"?

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/21/17 7:09 am

Post Robert Lee Sportscaster (Link) Mat
So ESPN pulls a sportscaster from a UVA game because his name is Robert Lee and they don't want to be insensitive to the "victims" of the statue demonstrations.

Here's the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/23/sports/ncaafootball/espn-robert-lee-virginia.html?mcubz=0

The name "Lee" is now so bad all you with the last name Lee should change your name (or at least not go out in public). It's like OTCP and his feelings about the Tomlinsons. Well, at least the Tomlinsons did not own slaves.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
8/23/17 10:23 pm

Post Re: Robert Lee Sportscaster (Link) Old Time Country Preacher
Mat wrote:
It's like OTCP and his feelings about the Tomlinsons.

Mat, son, I aint got no feelings about the Tomlinsons, I didn't/don't know a one of em.
Acts-pert Poster
8/23/17 10:37 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic