Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

We should discuss 1 Timothy 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Bonnie brotherjames
the problem is that people have their biases and they read into scripture what they want to see whether or not it is good exegesis or not. With that said, we have actually done this subject many times since I joined onto this board many years ago with no change in anyone's "opinion/bias" I mean theological viewpoint. Some people make the same argument every time, witness Wyatt's snarky, less than subtle digs at the AG not being as women affirming as the Foursquare because although we ordained women in our First General Council in 1914, they couldn't vote until 1920 and couldn't pastor until 1935. The Foursquare was started by Amiee Semple McPherson, a women don't you know, so they affirmed women from the get go. So what? Has the COG let women vote since 1920 or allowed them to pastor at all? Duh.

Doyle's latest comment about denominations declining because somehow when they ordained women they became more liberal and thusly lost congregants is silly. If he changed the word women to homosexuals he might have a point. An on it goes. Which is why I do my best not to get into these threads much anymore - no one will ever cede a point that differs from their pre-conceived idea (bias ) Confused Rolling Eyes

TTFN
Acts-celerater
7/27/17 9:38 am

Post Quiet Wyatt
No snark at all, just simple fact. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/17 9:56 am

Post From another thread with a final question added Mat
Growing up in the COGOP I was conditioned by the practice of Ordination of male ministers to the office of Bishop (or Deacon), including the requirements that they be the husband of one wife. At the same time there was a long history of women "Licensed Ministers" in all most every level of ministry. Within my lifetime women did not vote in the local church, conventions or assemblies, but that changed around 1990, as did their authorization to conduct business conferences and administer sacraments. Prior to the change the COGOP tried to separate the business of the church where women would be silent from the ministry of the Word in which they had liberty. It may not have been the best solution, but I think it was a sincere effort to balance scripture.

Before that change (and after), there were women evangelists, camp directors, pastors, state office staff and general appointees. Both A. J. Tomlinson and M. A. Tomlinson appointed women "missionaries" who oversaw works in Caribbean nations and New Zealand as early as 1935. They were appointed at the assembly along with the State/National Overseers. The works they were responsible for had existing churches they "oversaw" for the General Overseer.

Now we have Ordained Women Ministers, along with women deacons (which are now ordained in the local church, it is not a "general" ordination as it was at one time), and women still occupy every level of leadership, even district overseer. However, the stopping point is at State/National Overseer and General Overseer. Women serve on the key assembly committees that bring issues (the agenda) to the floor for discussion and vote, in which women fully participate.

The title "Bishop" is the "stumbling block". I favor the abandonment of that title in regards to what it says on my "ordination". "Ordained Minister" works for me, and I don't mind having the same thing as women ministers. Let them minister as God has called them. If they can get themselves elected to leadership, let them lead with their gifts. If they fail, well guys we know what happens to us when we fail. Equal requirements, equal obedience to go, equal duties when you get there. No excuses, male or female alike. I would like to see in the future, "bishop" only in function not in ordination!

Now as to my COG brothers, I have attended your assembly business (counsel of Bishops?) and watched on the internet. Why not drop the title "Bishop" and let all Ordained Ministers participate in the counsel (the first part) that make recommendations to the General Assembly? Why not let Ordained Ministers be nominated and voted on to see who is on the 18 and the top five?

For those who want to silence women, just vote them into one of those seats on the stage. I don't see much in the way of opinion coming from them during discussions.

Mat
Acts Enthusiast
7/27/17 10:18 am

Post A year later??? Aaron Scott
Folks, it comes up EVERY General Assembly because there are folks in leadership that keep bringing it back up DESPITE the consistent voting down of such proposals.

Why? Because, in a nutshell, the bishops are only right IF they happen to agree with leadership. If they disagree, then it's alright to keep bringing it up until enough of them die off to deliver a victory...AND THEN IT WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER be brought up again. Why? Why, because they finally got their way.

It should be a rule that if a proposal fails, any proposal that is directly or indirectly of the same sort cannot be placed on the agenda or discussed for at least two full Assembly cycles (i.e., if it fails this year, it cannot be brought up two years from now or four years from now, but must wait until the sixth year).

I mean, I know how it feels to be surrounded by people who are DEAD WRONG (SMILE), but if the votes of the bishops are, really, being disregarded and the proposals keep coming back over and over, then let's just vote to do away with the bishops and let the executive level make ALL the decisions...since they clearly know better than the rest of these folks.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/27/17 11:21 am

Post Re: A year later??? Tom Sterbens
Aaron Scott wrote:
Folks, it comes up EVERY General Assembly because there are folks in leadership that keep bringing it back up DESPITE the consistent voting down of such proposals.

Why? Because, in a nutshell, the bishops are only right IF they happen to agree with leadership. If they disagree, then it's alright to keep bringing it up until enough of them die off to deliver a victory...AND THEN IT WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER be brought up again. Why? Why, because they finally got their way.

It should be a rule that if a proposal fails, any proposal that is directly or indirectly of the same sort cannot be placed on the agenda or discussed for at least two full Assembly cycles (i.e., if it fails this year, it cannot be brought up two years from now or four years from now, but must wait until the sixth year).

I mean, I know how it feels to be surrounded by people who are DEAD WRONG (SMILE), but if the votes of the bishops are, really, being disregarded and the proposals keep coming back over and over, then let's just vote to do away with the bishops and let the executive level make ALL the decisions...since they clearly know better than the rest of these folks.

It is the International Executive Council that comes up with the agenda.
Apparently those in leadership seem to think it is worthy of consideration...even though I have directly requested (from the floor of the GC) the two previous General Overseers (prior to Tim Hill) to speak to it to give us some direction - and they have refused. I think that alone would be clarifying.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
7/27/17 11:42 am

Post bonnie knox
Aaron, I was specifically talking about the use of 1 Timothy 2 in this discussion. Doyle brought it up in his post. I went back through the posts to see where it had been discussed before. It struck me as interesting that it was a year ago.
Have you taken a look at what the Greek word "authenteo" means (which is rendered "usurp authority")?
Have you considered what the main issue confronting Ephesus was that Paul was trying to correct in his first letter to Timothy?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/17 11:53 am

Post Re: brotherjames, bradfreeman
bonnie knox wrote:
However, I do think change is coming in the Church of God.

Do you think attitudes are actually changing or just dying off?

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
7/27/17 2:34 pm

Post bonnie knox
I suspect there is a small contingent of people who haven't really stopped to examine the issues thoroughly who will be enough to swing the pendulum when they actually do take a look at it. Of course, that's just speculation on my part.
And generally, people do tend to get more "sot in their ways" as they get older, so probably among the older generation, there will be less change in attitude.
That's with respect to the Church of God denomination. On the other hand, in the Southern Baptist Convention churches (and seminaries), for example, it seems women are being restricted even more now than in the past and the young people who may be referred to as "young restless reformed" seem to be on board with that as a good thing.

bradfreeman wrote:
bonnie knox wrote:
However, I do think change is coming in the Church of God.

Do you think attitudes are actually changing or just dying off?
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
7/27/17 3:14 pm

Post Re: A year later??? Carolyn Smith
Tom Sterbens wrote:
Aaron Scott wrote:

It is the International Executive Council that comes up with the agenda.
Apparently those in leadership seem to think it is worthy of consideration...even though I have directly requested (from the floor of the GC) the two previous General Overseers (prior to Tim Hill) to speak to it to give us some direction - and they have refused. I think that alone would be clarifying.

HOT POTATO!
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
7/27/17 4:02 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic