Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Question for 55 and older (if your willing to admit your age)

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Question for 55 and older (if your willing to admit your age) Ernie Long
I didn't want to hijack the thread about music, but after reading the replies it struck me funny that people are asking about the older crowd enjoying contemporary music. When I was going up (in the 60's and 70's) we sung redback and southern gospel in church, but the kids I hung out with listened to heavy metal, acid rock, and other "worldly music".

If I could handle listening to "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winters Group in 1973, I believe I can handle "How He Loves" by the David Crowder Band.

So, all you older people, what type of music did you listen to growing up?
Acts Enthusiast
6/12/17 8:14 am

Post c6thplayer1
Hendrix , Doors , Cream , Tommy James and the Shondells , Beach boys , most all of the 60's. Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/12/17 10:21 am

Post Cojak
I never was a music guy, except for big band music, but my COG girl liked Elvis, Little Richard, Brenda Lee, Jerry Lee and Deano.

Since I was a Trumpet player, come to think of it I did like Al Hirt and Louis Armstrong (Satchmo, Satchel Mouth), with that gravely voice and his Trumpet.
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/12/17 11:50 am

Post Da Sheik
Country and Rock & Roll. I'm willing to adapt to whatever as long as the lyrical content of the songs are biblical. Many of the contemporary songs sound more like something a young man would say to his lover. I think they write the songs that way on purpose, with the chance they might have crossover appeal to pop music. Acts Enthusiast
6/12/17 11:53 am

Post Nature Boy Florida
Like most of us - I sang the church music in church - and listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Johnny Cash and Barry Manilow outside of church.

My point - I could enjoy all kinds of music back then - not sure why folks can't enjoy all kinds today.
6/12/17 12:08 pm

Post FLRon
For me it was Stones, Hendrix, Cream, Airplane, Sabbath, and the like. I was a real headbanger for sure.

Today, I enjoy different styles of music. Can't say I like All styles, but I do like many different styles of music.

I also like different styles of music in church. Southern Gospel, traditional hymns, Brook Tab and Christ Church worship music, and some Contemporary music.

Where I personally draw the line so far as music in church is when it crosses the line into a Rock performance. Being a guitar player now, and a former headbanger back in the day, I am all too familiar with the spirit behind that music. I'm my opinion, there is no place for it in the church.

YMMV
6/12/17 12:24 pm

Post c6thplayer1
Nature Boy Florida wrote:
Like most of us - I sang the church music in church - and listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd, Johnny Cash and Barry Manilow outside of church.

My point - I could enjoy all kinds of music back then - not sure why folks can't enjoy all kinds today.

How about Rap Music NB ?
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/12/17 1:56 pm

Post Tom Sterbens
I am 60 years old.
Like others, when it comes to musical style I enjoy most any done well. I can't say I like "all" of any style and certainly not every performer of any given style. Further, musical style is cultural it is not eternal and personal preference is unique to each individual "earthen vessel."

Listening to music or watching music being performed in a secular sense is one thing. Engaging in worship in a shared experience, with those who lead, is quite another. In the end - I don't know that the conversation can just be about "style." A shared music-worship environment is attenuated by so many variables, among which a most significant consideration is the personality leading/directing the worship experience.
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
6/12/17 5:50 pm

Post diakoneo
Da Sheik wrote:
Many of the contemporary songs sound more like something a young man would say to his lover.

You struck a chord here with me! All the contemporary and praise music sounds the same to me. Most of it very shallow! Most of these contemporary (though certainly not all) could not hack it because of lack of originality and to some degree talent in secular world.

As far as what I listened to growing up. Skynerd, Bob Segar, Eagles, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Pink Floyd.

I like good choir music. Not crazy about "praise team" style.

I am 54 by the way

Smile
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/12/17 10:30 pm

Post Thanks for your thoughts Ernie Long
It seems we all grew up listening to music that would burn the delicate ears of most of the youth today.

I am in no way comparing rock music to worship or praise music, completely two different worlds. I think it is funny how people can get all tore up over church music, but don't have a problem with what we listen too on the radio.

(I'm not sure if I should have used too or to in my last sentence, but I know that it isn't two Smile )
Acts Enthusiast
6/14/17 8:45 am

Post I always listed to Southern Gospel COGLayman
Growing up, I always listened to Southern Gospel music. On rare occasions I would listen to a 50s type rock song. I loved music from groups like the Happy Goodmans. My mother always bought me various SG records. The church was against worldly music and I felt like I was sinning if I listened to it. I can remember one time riding in the car with another church family and they put on some rock and roll music. I was kind of shocked.

I still love Southern Gospel and always will. I hate contemporary music. If I somehow get a contemporary music cd in my home I throw it in the trash. I don't listen to it and I don't want anyone else to have to listen to it.
Friendly Face
6/14/17 9:33 pm

Post georgiapath
Da Sheik wrote:
Country and Rock & Roll. I'm willing to adapt to whatever as long as the lyrical content of the songs are biblical. Many of the contemporary songs sound more like something a young man would say to his lover. I think they write the songs that way on purpose, with the chance they might have crossover appeal to pop music.

Yeah, I don't like those either.
Acts-dicted
6/20/17 2:14 pm

Post georgiapath
[quote="diakoneo"]
Da Sheik wrote:
Many of the contemporary songs sound more like something a young man would say to his lover.

You struck a chord here with me! All the contemporary and praise music sounds the same to me. Most of it very shallow! Most of these contemporary (though certainly not all) could not hack it because of lack of originality and to some degree talent in secular world.

As far as what I listened to growing up. Skynerd, Bob Segar, Eagles, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Pink Floyd.

I like good choir music. Not crazy about "praise team" style.

I am 54 by the way

It all sound the same and makes no sense at all.
Acts-dicted
6/20/17 2:19 pm

Post krista
Nature Boy Florida wrote:

Barry Manilow? LOL.......That explains a lot NB. Laughing Laughing
Golf Cart Mafia Capo
6/20/17 3:04 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
Great. Now I've got "I Write the Songs" stuck in my head! I am only 49, not nearly as old as some, and not nearly as young as I once was. I grew up in the 70s and 80s listening to a lot of Top 40 Popular Music as well as Classic Rock. [Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/20/17 4:23 pm

Post Dean Steenburgh
Eagles, Skynyrd, BeeGee's, Disco, Earth Wind & Fire, Ohio Players, Stevie Wonder, Sly & Family Stone, McCartney, Wings, Fleetwood, Eddie Money, Boz Scaggs, ELO, Steve Miller Band, Kool & The Gang, Pink Floyd, Rufus & Chaka Khan, BTO, Heart, Queen, America, Carly, EJ, Marvin Gaye, LaBelle, KC & Sunshine Band, Wild Cherry, Gloria Gaynor, War, Cheap Trick, Bad Co., Temptations, Chi-Lites, Creedence CR & the list goes on.

But at church I sang & played instruments with my dad & I enjoyed Keep on the Firing Line, Heaven's Jubilee, When we all get to Heaven, AG, Great is Thy Faithfulness, Redeemed, Just a closer Walk, Farther Along, Oh I Want to see Him & this list goes on & on.

I like the worship choruses we sing today but not fond of rock performances or things that remind me of that Foghat concert at Day on the Green 1976. People driving by on the north bound I-880 could get high just from the cloud drift arising & floating out of the Alameda Co. Coliseum where I would watch Otis Sistrunk play DE for the Raiders & help the Snake win games & SB 11.

Email me at: SteenburghDean@gmail.com

Church planters are focused on just one thing ...introducing people to Jesus!
What are you focused on?
Golf Cart Mafia Capo Famiglia
6/26/17 8:12 pm

Post Link
I'm glad after reading the subject line that the message wasn't about buying Colonial Penn life insurance.
6/27/17 1:30 pm

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic