Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Close your church during July?

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Close your church during July? bradfreeman
I know a large church that cancels all services throughout July and encourages its people to visit other churches. Another post discussed the need for pastors to get a break, perhaps at 1/2 pay. This would give them a month off at full pay.

Is this a good idea?

My website: www.bradfreeman.com
My blog: http://bradcfreeman.tumblr.com/
Acts-dicted
6/19/17 12:39 pm

Post It seems.... wayne
..It's always good to cancel church services. I'm hearing more and more of this happening.
We don't cancel service for special holidays, bad weather, camp meeting, etc. I know attendance is sometimes down during these times but, it never fails that we have a new visitor walk in, God moves mightily like He did last night or someone gives their life to Christ. I can't help but wonder what we would miss if we did close.
In fact, this is a text I received after our service last night from a lady who spent 2 hours in the altar praying for her heroine addicted children and alcoholic husband: "Thank you for never calling off church."

I am afraid that these actions are helping to cause a decline in church attendance.
We have a local mega church that has services multiple times a week and always open during holidays and bad weather their parking lot is always full. hmmmmm
Acts Enthusiast
6/19/17 1:19 pm

Post Quiet Wyatt
I know of many churches that reduce the number of services they have during the summer. I must say I really do not enjoy 'the summer slump' myself, and have sometimes thought it would be nice if we could just call off regular church services for a few weeks during the summer. I have never missed more than one Sunday at a time in all my 25+ years of ministry though, and even that has been rare, no more than once a year. I try to keep in mind that folks are likely just taking a much-needed vacation.

Last edited by Quiet Wyatt on 6/20/17 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/19/17 2:43 pm

Post FLRon
I don't know what is to be gained by closing your church just so your members can visit other churches. If they are so inclined to want to visit other churches, aren't they going to do it anyway?

I've never been a fan of closing down church unless the weather or some other situation makes it the best,or safest option. Sure as you do, someone will be visiting for the first time!
6/19/17 3:17 pm

Post Jason Justus
I'm ok with stoping Sunday Night Services, but Sunday morning? No, way! New Member
6/23/17 12:25 pm

Post Cojak
This is the first time I have heard of this or the suggestion. It does seem that my local church calls off night services for multiple reasons. It does not bother me. I just assume the pastor is slowly working up to cesing Sun nite services. I am okay with that but I am also sure we will lose some regular attendants who are sure Sun nite services are somewhere in scripture.

But only a church with a very good bank balance could even think of it. Shocked
01000001 01100011 01110100 01110011
6/25/17 8:16 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic