Actscelerate.com Forum Index Actscelerate.com
Open Any Time -- Day or Night

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
r/Actscelerate

Music music music

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Message Author
Post Music music music FLRon
What's the opinion of many of you regarding the style of music in your church? Some experts say the "worship wars" of the past are over, while others say they are still fighting those wars.

I've visited a lot of churches and I'm seeing a lot of different styles. Most larger COG and AG churches I've been in lean heavily towards contemporary.

What's everyone's preference in worship music? And the bigger question would be regardless of the style of music in your church, are you and the congregation engaged in the worship or just a spectator?
6/11/17 4:48 pm

Post bonnie knox
Our church tries to blend the styles (bless their hearts). The people in our congregation engage well and participate.
Sometimes I don't know if it's a good thing or not when modern people try to sing old songs. Last week I could not keep myself from cringing when the praise team sang "I'll Fly Away." The words on the screen, and the praise team sang it just that way, said "When the shadows of this life is gone..."--yes, gone instead of grown and incorrect grammar to boot. Help, the shadows is gone! Are people no longer familiar with life being compared to a day and the end of life to the lengthening shadows of evening, a frequent analogy in the old songs?
I know that when we did almost exclusively contemporary, I would hear individuals talk about missing the old songs, but there was never an open fight about it.
[Insert Acts Pun Here]
6/11/17 5:56 pm

Post revuriah
I am attending Abundant Life in Lakeland, FL currently while I'm on a pastoral hiatus. I also play lead guitar for them. We are contemporary, and the choir does some older contemporary and southern Gospel styles. I personally lean toward the newer stuff, but I can worship to any style.

Revuriah's Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jeff-Richard/1226257444

Jeffrey David Richard's Myspace Music
www.myspace.com/547856946
Golf Cart Mafia Underboss
6/11/17 6:49 pm

Post What about FLRon
So what about a congregation mostly made up of Seniors that was brought up on the old hymns and Southern Gospel, would it be difficult to adjust to a very contemporary sound? Or,as revuriah said should the style not even matter?
6/11/17 7:46 pm

Post Re: What about c6thplayer1
FLRon wrote:
So what about a congregation mostly made up of Seniors that was brought up on the old hymns and Southern Gospel, would it be difficult to adjust to a very contemporary sound? Or,as revuriah said should the style not even matter?

we do it all with a lot of seniors. They accept and like all that we do.
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/11/17 9:11 pm

Post Like A Tree
My church does a good mix.

Still have a real choir not just a praise team. We sing choral and contemporary songs. Brooklen tab, Prestenwood, Campus choir arrangements, even Hymns, etc.

P&W = comtemp with some traditional hymns mixed in as well every once in a while.

We have a Red Back Hymn night once or twice a year.

We have a talent night every few months.

Usually do a big Easter program. Sing acapella songs for Christmas.

All mens choir and all womens choir for special occasions.

Do a little of everything
6/11/17 10:25 pm

Post Methocostal
OMG. I've been singing this wrong? I'm serious. LOL

Well, I was in my early 20's when I finally realized the words to another song was "To the Regions beyond, I must go, I must go, tell the world...", I had always sang "To the regions below, I must go, I must go". I seriously did that too. (I was finally looking at the hymnal when I saw it).

I guess you are going to tell me that "He Looked beyond my Socks and saw my Knees" ain't right either. Or "Praise the Lord, I'll have a new Wife". Surely, I'm not doing those wrong either.

bonnie knox wrote:
Our church tries to blend the styles (bless their hearts). The people in our congregation engage well and participate.
Sometimes I don't know if it's a good thing or not when modern people try to sing old songs. Last week I could not keep myself from cringing when the praise team sang "I'll Fly Away." The words on the screen, and the praise team sang it just that way, said "When the shadows of this life is gone..."--yes, gone instead of grown and incorrect grammar to boot. Help, the shadows is gone! Are people no longer familiar with life being compared to a day and the end of life to the lengthening shadows of evening, a frequent analogy in the old songs?
I know that when we did almost exclusively contemporary, I would hear individuals talk about missing the old songs, but there was never an open fight about it.
Friendly Face
6/14/17 4:35 pm

Post Methocostal
Goodness, I'm so out of it, I have NO idea who Broken tab and Prestenwood wood is. Smile Did Broken tab used to sing with Mylon and Broken Heart Smile

Like A Tree wrote:
My church does a good mix.

Still have a real choir not just a praise team. We sing choral and contemporary songs. Brooklen tab, Prestenwood, Campus choir arrangements, even Hymns, etc.

P&W = comtemp with some traditional hymns mixed in as well every once in a while.

We have a Red Back Hymn night once or twice a year.

We have a talent night every few months.

Usually do a big Easter program. Sing acapella songs for Christmas.

All mens choir and all womens choir for special occasions.

Do a little of everything
Friendly Face
6/14/17 4:37 pm

Post diakoneo
Quote:
Goodness, I'm so out of it, I have NO idea who Broken tab and Prestenwood wood is. Smile Did Broken tab used to sing with Mylon and Broken Heart Smile

Broken Tab is what you have when you drop your bottle of Tab. Smile

I think he meant Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir Very Happy
Golf Cart Mafia Consigliere
6/14/17 6:18 pm

Post Like A Tree
Yes, I meant Brooklyn Tabernacle. Sorry didn't check the spelling before I hit submit. Very Happy Member
6/14/17 7:02 pm

Post Music, music, music COG Watcher
I think the first thing to do is realize your churches personality. If you have mostly older folks in your church, trying to sing Crowder, Lincoln Brewster and such is going to be a battle. I agree that spending time teaching on worship is a great start. Another thing to think about is location. If you're east of the Miss. then you're going to be fighting the southern gospel battle. Out here in the " Wild West" we don't have a lot of those folks. Personally I was raised on SG, but have out grown it. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're wanting to go in a new direction then pave the way with prayer and teaching. You'll find there is no right or wrong music as long as it exalts the name of Jesus. We do mostly new music but leave out the instrumental parts and guitar solos. I once heard it said that How Great Thou Art can be a new song if God tells you to sing it in that moment. Let your people know that it's ok to sit as long as they can still worship. We turn the lights down to eliminate distractions and I have a sniper for the flag twirlers( just kidding) maybe. Hey, DOC
6/15/17 8:36 pm

Post Re: What about Clint Wills
FLRon wrote:

I think this is more of a "how" than a "what" issue. My dad took a church that was 11 people and it has now grown to over 200. In that time things have changed A LOT. New building, different worship style, removal of hymnals, etc. Up until her passing at 101 "Aunt" Jane Stanfill was his biggest fan and supporter for the change.

He was going to make changes, but HOW he made those changes mattered more than WHAT he changed. He made it about Kingdom impact rather than personal preference or style. The church began growing immediately, and the older people started seeing younger people give their lives to God - including their grandchildren. One lady couldn't stand all the change.....until her 18 year old grand-daughter came to church with her, loved it, and ended up turning her life over to Jesus. Music stylings go out the window when your unsaved family comes to Jesus.

If we're shoving a music style down someone's throat without any vision, then we're likely setting ourselves up for a challenge. Cast some vision, see some lives changed, and people are more likely to get behind it. Even when we sold the old building Aunt Jane said, "Pastor, will this allow us to reach more people?" He answered, "Jane, we'll be able to host more than twice as many in the new building." Then she responded, "then what's the hold up? Let's get this done!" I think she was around 92 at that time. When the 92 year old is progressive, then it's hard for anyone else to dig their heels in. Very Happy Very Happy
Hon. Dr. in Acts-celeratology
6/17/17 6:32 am

Actscelerate.com Forum Index -> Acts-Celerate Post new topic   Reply to topic